PDA

View Full Version : need info

juanita
12-06-2006, 05:20 PM
My 17 year old son has been sick since last Friday. Been running a fever. It didn't come down even with tylenol or advil, stayed steady about 102. On Sunday it went over 103 so we took him to er instead of waiting till Monday and calling family doc. They said it was strep and gave him penicillin and said to take tylenol and advil alernately and if he didn't get better in 2 days call family doc. He kept running the fever and this morning he went to the doc. He has mono and penicillin resistant strep. He has to stay home from school for awhile of course. They gave him a different antibiotic and steriods to take. Anyone have any experience with this that is useful. I looked mono up on the internet and found out the facts, but what else can I do? I need to help him so that I can finally get some rest myself. I've had to get up every couple of hours to give him the tylenol etc.......

Barbara H.
12-06-2006, 05:37 PM
My daughter had mono when she was a junior. I kept trying to convince her to go to school and it was a mistake. It does take a while to recover from this. I would call the school and see if you can receive some help around his assignments. He should be feeling somewhat better soon, but it takes some time before you are able to be fully back to normal.
Good luck,
Barbara H.

michele u
12-07-2006, 06:15 PM
i'm a clinic nurse, and i know we have been seeing alot of mono this year. did they actually do a strep test or just think he has it? the steroids will help but it is a virus so it has to run it's coarse. He needs to sleep and sleep. He needs to make sure he is getting lots of fluids. when he is feeling better, he needs to not push it. The only things you really have to watch for is abdominal pain. RARELY is there spleen enlargement but that is one of the side effects. Like i said, it is rare. What are they giving him for pain? We give alot of our kids Histussin HC. It is a cough med but has some hydrocodone that helps them. It tastes good also.

juanita
12-09-2006, 07:33 PM
No they didn't do a strep test at the er, just said that was what it was after looking at his throat. He did have abdominal pain when we took him to the er and they said a lot of people get upset stomachs with strep, which I remember he used to do when he was younger. So I really didn't think anything about that. I did mention that there have been several kids at the high school here with mon and he said you can't test for that till after two weeks, but our family doc did. They gave him medrol, which is the steroid. And the antibiotic is cefdinir. He has been sleeping, just about 24 hours a day since last Saturday. He can go to scholl for half days starting Monday, but no advanced gym class and he can't go back to work. And Indiana passed a law that seniors in high school has to get the hep b and they are postponing that till he's better. No other meds, though I think he needs something for all of the phlem he has.

Barbara2
12-10-2006, 03:41 PM
I was very sick with mono about 40 years ago, 16 yrs old. I did have an enlarged spleen, but didn't know it until I was hit in the stomach by a friend who was goofing around. I doubled over in pain.

Had months of sore throats, swollen glands, white spots on tonsils. Was very tired and low on energy; not much of an appetite. My eyes and skin became yellowish with onset of jaundice from liver.

I spent a month in the hospital and the entire summer on bedrest. Sleep, sleep, sleep, was what was recommended; no antibiotics were available for treatment.

Soccermom
12-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Count me in as another "monoer" LOL. When I was 15 I was diagnosed w Hepatitis which turned out to have been caused by Mononucleosis that had caused liver damage. One month home from high school ...funny enough, I could never tolerate alcohol again. (Yep, had experimented w beer at a young age!)

Best wishes for your young mans quick recovery!

Marcia