PDA

View Full Version : so much for worry

Heart Sutra
12-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Sue's home from surgery after spending the day in the hospital with a migraine after her mastectomy. Imatrex (spelling)solved that one.

She has no pain meds in her since yesterday, feels fine, and is watching Pink Floyd's "Pulse" concert and chatting up a storm with family and friends that are here. It is as if nothing happened at all to her.

Amazing.

---Kevin and Sue---

lightsteve
12-06-2006, 05:04 PM
That's fantastic! We are all glad to hear things have gone smoothly.

Steve

Barbara H.
12-06-2006, 05:39 PM
It's so great to have this behind you.
Best regards,
Barbara H.

Lolly
12-06-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm so pleased to hear that Sue is home recovering so well! The human capacity to rise to the challenge of adversity is amazing. Don't let her overdo things though, lots of R&R is still the order!

<3 Lolly

Vanessa
12-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Glad to hear she is recovering well!

Chelee
12-07-2006, 01:05 AM
Sounds like Sue is doing very well. Especially since no need for pain pills. I admit...I needed some...I hurt for a few days. Pretty uncomfortable for a while. It must be all the good company she is getting from her family and friends. http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif It nice to hear she is going to have such a great support system around her...that plays a big part in this. She's going to do great.

Sending warm healing thoughts and prayers your way.

Chelee

Heart Sutra
12-07-2006, 05:44 AM
Trying to keep Sue from doing too much is a lot like rounding up toddlers. It takes constant vigilance :) I think her recovery has a lot to do with her physical fitness. Of many things, she is also a personal trainer, and is in very good shape.
She feels really good. We're amazed that the surgery hasn't caused more pain, and I kind of feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. So far her main complaint is the gauze has made her skin sore under her arm. Her pain presciption was for 30 Vicoden, so we were kind of expecting some pretty significant discomfort. She took a half of one before bed-time at my suggestion (all right... pestering) despite having barely any pain.
She is a life-long migraine sufferer, maybe one really bad one every few months, and since the surgery on Tuesday she has had 2. She takes Immatrex shots for them and they vanish. It seems pretty clear now that the pain meds are triggering migraines, so it also seems pretty clear that I should take her word that she's not in pain and stop playing doctor. I meant well.
Her I.V. was infiltrated in the hospital, and the area is slightly red, and we're watching that closely.
We are hoping for a good pathology report, the initial operating room pathology showed clean nodes, and we pray that the pathologist was in perfect form that day. We should know soon.
I'm putting my stethescope down and picking up a spatula, french toast is this morning's request. I'm much better at playing cook than doctor anyway.

---Kevin and Sue---

tousled1
12-07-2006, 07:10 AM
Kevin & Sue,

Glad that Sue is doing so well. When I had my bilateral mastectomy I had very little to no pain. The absence of pain really surprised me as I have had previous surgeries. I believe the absence of pain is that they are not curring through any major organs/tissues. I was driving exactly one week after my surgery. If Sue doesn't need the pain med then don't take it. Breakfast sounds good - makes me hungry.

Sandy H
12-07-2006, 07:54 AM
That is great news. I was in the hospital 5 days with bil mastectomies and graft to the right chest wall(IBC is in the skin the reason for the graft) They got my pain med mixed up with nausea medication and so I had no pain med from the day of surgery until the third day when the nurses kept asking me if I needed something for pain and I said, "no it isn't working". She went to check and I wasn't getting anything only ativan for anxiety which I had been on before surgery. I only needed something to relax my muscles from the fibromyalgia and my roommate having so many visitors as I needed it quiet. No pain from the surgery only fatigue from laying around. Wishing you well with the path report. hugs, Sandy

Jean
12-07-2006, 08:06 AM
see prayers do work! So glad that Sue and You are doing well.

Sending lots of prayers your way.

Jean

LAURIE
12-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed in August and have decided to finally reach out on the web to others. I have had 4 rounds of a/c and just last Thursday had lumpectomy and all nodes taken out. I had a couples of bad days since I got my pathology report on Tuesday. At first diagnosis we all thought I was stage IIb with maybe 2 or less nodes involed. After pathology and A/C, tumor was still 3 cm and nodes were 10 out of 15. Which puts me at Stage IIIc, I made the mistake of looking at survival rates and realized in 1 day my hopes had diminished. I am shocked at my node involvement. I go to oncolocist on Tuesday and am anxoius to see how he wants to proceed. Good news is that I had clear margins. No more surgery for now. The original plan was for 12 weeks of Taxol and herception to start on the 12th and then radiation. As far as surgery, I think I am doing well,(glad that drain is gone) I have a great surgeon and have had some pain but am working through it. I was a physically active 35 year before diagonis so I am trying to keep that spirit up now, but this stuff challenges you for sure. I am so worried the Oncoloogist is going to suggest more A/C. I have decided that I am sick of the word cancer and have decided to name it something else, has anyone else thought of this or have another name for it? I have not decided about mine yet, it can't be something I love but I still want it to be a word that makes me laugh a little. I am excited to meet all of you via this site and it is always great to know you are not alone.

KathyH
12-07-2006, 08:20 AM
What fantastic news! Enjoy the time together.

Love, Kathy H

tousled1
12-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Laurie,

Don't worry about receiving more A/C. You can only get adrymiacin (spelling?) once in your life-time. I too was shocked at how many nodes were involved when I had my surgery (14 of 26). Don't despair and please don't look at statistics. The stats that you see were before Herceptin. HER2 breast cancer currently is being researched far more than any other breast cancer. With Herceptin and if needed, Tykerb, you will have a very long survival.

sherri
12-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Hi Kevin and Sue,

I'm so glad for good result. And it seems she is doing very well. And you are right being active makes a lot of difference in recovery. Soon it will be history, and she can start her physical activities. I went for a big hike after 2 weeks.
Take care,

chrisy
12-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Kevin and Sue,
So glad to hear Sue is recovering so well - and I agree that all the TLC she is getting helps! When I had my surgeries I also felt VERY good after - virtually pain free and mainly relieved to have it over. My family practically had to tie me to a chair. But I agree, try to have Sue take it easy - it does take a toll.

Hoping you get good news with the path reports - I'm crossing my fingers with you.

Hugs
Chris

Ruth
12-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Laurie ~ Read my signature....sound familiar? Here I am 3 & 1/2 years later. NED. You have lots of HOPE!

Peace ~ Ruth