PDA

View Full Version : 'Twas the night before surgery

Heart Sutra
12-04-2006, 07:47 PM
...and we're scared.

Not of surgery, but of the overall prognosis of HER2 positive survival rates.

We can find statistics that are very poor, and some that aren't so bad, but great statistics...?

It's only been about 2 months since diagnosis, we feel battered a lot of the time, and we forget it all a lot of the time too. But remembering it over and over throughout the day is so hard.

It is a scary diagnosis, HER2 positive cancer.

It is our desire for things to be different than they are that is causing all this emotional pain. That much is obvious. How could it be otherwise?
sometimes it seems better to not have these great big brains that think so fast, conclude so much, infer all possibilities, tell such scary tales...
Sometimes it is easy to envy our dog, lost in sleep for the 10th time today.

We'll let you all know how surgery went. Thanks for all of your support.

---Kevin and Sue---

Bev
12-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Try not to worry. Turn all your attention to recuperating from surgery. There will be new study results from ASCO this month. I'm sure it will be more positive news. This roller coaster we're on has good days too. Best of luck with the surgery. BB

tousled1
12-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Kevin & Sue,

Try not to worry too much - I know it's hard not to. As for statistics for HER2 breast cancer you can throw out all the stats that you've seen. With Herceptin the stats are ever changing. Just look at the women on this board and what they have been through and are still here and NED. Your main concern right now should be concentrating on recovery from surgery. I'm sure the surgery will go as expected. Just make sure that your wife starts moving the arms immediately. I'll keep you in my prayers.

tricia keegan
12-05-2006, 03:38 AM
Kevin and Sue

Hi and just want to wish you a sucessful surgery Sue and
a quick recovery.
Her2 positive cancer IS scary for me too but we have to
remember most of the info we read is totally out of date and
pre herceptin so just take one thing at a time and the rest
will wait till tomorrow!
Good luck
Tricia

newgg
12-05-2006, 05:55 AM
think so fast, conclude so much ......so very thankful for them!! All those "big Brains" will bring new info to ASCO this month and maybe there will be another cheering section for all the new meds aimed at HER2. Yeah !! As many have stated...we are rewriting the HER2 stats every day!! Just get strong after surgery and do the range of motion for the arms. Will need those arms for hugging all the loved ones for years and years!
Hugs, Bonnie

lightsteve
12-05-2006, 07:34 AM
Kevin and Sue:

We're with you all the way, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Steve

MJo
12-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Things do calm down after a while. THere is much to be hopeful about. Your support is a great gift to Sue. Hug Sue -- carefully -- and hug the dog. I came to have great appreciation for the care I received from the nurses. MJO

Jean
12-05-2006, 10:04 AM
but I promise it DOES improve. Just concentrate on positive thoughts for
a successful surgery and fast recovery. Will keep Sue in my prayers.

Jean

Becky
12-05-2006, 10:59 AM
I always have to remember (for myself) that when you read 10 year survival rates it is based on those who are 10 year survivors (duh). BUT they also using 10 yr old technology to get there. Look what's happened in 10 yrs

CMF to CAF
adding taxanes
dense dose therapy
and now Herceptin

I am sure I have forgotten zillions of other examples of progress. AIs to be sure. I think you understand what I am getting at here.

Also the future - Tykerb, Avastin and all the other drugs and research - just for the Her pathways. Researchers love us thank God!

There is a lot to be hopeful for.

Audrey
12-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Sending you both good wishes for a successful surgery and smooth & speedy recovery! Sue might enjoy having lots of pillows in bed to prop up her arms. (I remember having my dog snuggling on the bed with me when I got home was so comforting, too) Five year ago, after my diagnosis, I would spend hours on the internet looking up survival stats and become SO discouraged. (My mantra was "I'm doomed")--Fortunately, I found this site and started connecting with other young, Her2+ survivors. Those stats are OLD and outdated. So many of us are doing well now and there is so much reason to hope! I'm hoping you both can take the life lessons this experience offers and then move on to 2007 leaving the fear behind.

Vanessa
12-05-2006, 06:19 PM
I hope Sue's surgery and recovery goes smoothly. Both of you will be in my prayers. Also, herceptin has made my test results much better than we could have imagined. The stats are getting better!

Mary Anne in TX
12-05-2006, 06:27 PM
I look at my two dogs some days and wish I could trade places too! But it's us humans that make those dog's lives so good!!!!!

My surgery was really easy and I recovered easily and quickly. And it gave me hope for things to come. I just keep focusing on "the next step"!

Turn off your mind for a few days and just take it hour by hour as this step gets done and you check that one off!

Lots of good wishes and prayers are on the way,
ma

Heart Sutra
12-05-2006, 08:01 PM
All of you people are so amazing. I mentioned this site a hundred times since I've found it. I cannot even begin to express my gratitude for having found you all. You have all been so wonderful to us.

I just came home from the hospital. Sue is in dreamland via sedatives and looks great, sounds great. She is very happy.

We had the best news we could have hoped for. Her nodes were negative. Her plastic surgeon said the expander surgery was perfect, her primary surgeon said the mastectomy was very easy and smooth.
We still have to wait for the complete pathology report regarding the nodes, which takes a little while, but we are thrilled with the news so far, and we're going to go right ahead and think that it's what the doc said it is. Crazy, huh? Sue should be home tomorrow.

As far as the little mini-Dachshund...
The dog's life is still easier than mine, but of course it isn't nearly as rich. He has us, but he doesn't have you.
Thank you for being here.

---Kevin and Sue---

Chelee
12-05-2006, 08:41 PM
That is just wonderful news to hear Sue had negative nodes. http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif Its nice she has the surgery out of the way and behind her now. Sounds like she is doing well and I am sure she will be happy to get home tomorrow to her own bed.

She is a lucky lady to have such a supportive man by her side. Believe me..that will help her a great deal. Thanks for updating us and you guys hang in there...you will get through this. Take one day at a time.

Sending Sue warm healing thoughts.

Chelee

tousled1
12-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Wonderful news! Glad that Sue is doing so well and that there was no node involvement. Now you can both breath a big sigh of relief. She's very fortunate to have such a wonderful supportive husband.

Heart Sutra
12-06-2006, 06:09 AM
Sue doesn't have a supportive husband, she does have a supportive partner though. Cancer is not even close to being big enough to change that.

So, for this moment she doesn't have a supportive husband. But what's the saying?... And this too shall pass http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/wink.gif

---Kevin and Sue---

tousled1
12-06-2006, 06:21 AM
Well husband or partner Sue is extremely fortunate to have you Kevin as she goes through all this. Breast cancer is a dreadful disease! Loosing a breast is a major emotional blow to women. I'm sure you will give her all the comfort and understanding that she will so desparetly need right now. Just make sure that she exercises her arms. Please keep us posted on her progress.

Sandy H
12-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Glad to hear the surgery is done and she is doing well. You can throw away the stats as I got hung up on those starting out on my journey. Being Her2 pos. and IBC meant double trouble for me and I got a death sentence thrown at me. I am nearly 6 years out and doing well-we know the cancer is not gone but it is stable!! I learned stats can be change depending on what they are needed for so I don't pay any attention to them anymore. Like it has been mentioned here things are changing, new treatments, old ones being used but given in a different way so they are easier to tolerate and work better. Quality of life is being looked at. I hope this helps and you both can live life to the fullest because soon you will realize how precious each day is. Sending you both a big hug, Sandy