PDA

View Full Version : Lani, Please read

Cathy1
12-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi Lani,
Thanks so much for giving me so much info on staph infections. When you mentioned that metal implants could be a cause, how about surgical pins? I have them in me from my mastectomy. Would they be able to tell if the infection started around them?
I also went to the dentist a few weeks ago to have a periodontist teeth cleaning. He said, "I am going to introduce bacteria into your system now."Gee, thanks. I wasn't on antibiotics then and during the procedure his assistant was calling for help because the suctioner wasn't working and they couldn't fix it and so I swallowed a lot of crap. The dentist didn't stop either.
I also am leary of my clothes now and afraid I may get reinfected. Thanks again, God Bless You, Cathy

Lani
12-04-2006, 11:13 PM
many sources of infection and some we can try to minimize eg, going regularly to the dentist

Usually it is larger implants like artificial hips and knees, plates and screws rather than surgical clips (usually like tiny staples) that can serve as a place for bacterial to hide out.

I don't believe Staph is normally found in the mouth. As long as you don't have open sores, have an abnormal white blood cell count and/or have abnormalities of your heart valves it is very rare for infections to spread from your mouth during dental work to the rest of your body. If you swallowed the germs your stomach acid would in most cases kill them.

The world is full of bacteria--some helpful (those in our intestines) and some which produce diseases in people. Washing our hands and (in my opinion) washing the clothes we wear in the hospital and spraying the shoes we wear in the hospital with disinfectant seem reasonable precautions considering the consequences of an infection particularly if you have lymphedema. Remember, your lymphedema should mainly make you more vulnerable to infection IF YOU HAVE AN OPEN WOUND, as your body does not have as functional a lymph system to filter out and destroy bacteria in that arm as it otherwise would.

Go out and have fun and don't worry about it unless you have an open wound. Then cover it, keep it out of the Jacuzzi and don't let teething children or grandchildren nibble on you! (dogs and cats have bacteria which we don't seem to be able to catch as easily)

Hope this helped!

Lolly
12-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Cathy, my dentist prescribes a one-time dose of prophylactic antibiotics which I take one hour before my scheduled procedure, even a simple teeth cleaning. I have a port implant, and am also on maintenance Herceptin/chemo.
If you're concerned about this issue, take it up with your oncologist and she/he can issue instructions to your dentist if necessary.

<3 Lolly