PDA

View Full Version : what type of mouthwash helps those with oral mucositis (sore mouth) from chemo

Lani
12-01-2006, 01:19 PM
ABSTRACT: The effectiveness of commonly used mouthwashes for the prevention of chemotherapy-induced oral mucositis: a systematic review [European Journal of Cancer Care]
Daily chlorhexidine mouthwash is often recommended for preventing chemotherapy-induced oral mucositis. Povidone-iodine, NaCl 0.9%, water salt soda solution and chamomile mouthwash are also recommended. However, the effectiveness of these mouthwashes is unclear. Therefore, we performed a systematic review to assess the effectiveness of mouthwashes in preventing and ameliorating chemotherapy-induced oral mucositis. Based on study quality, three out of five randomized controlled trials were included in a meta-analysis. The results failed to detect any beneficial effects of chlorhexidine as compared with sterile water, or NaCl 0.9%. Patients complained about negative side-effects of chlorhexidine, including teeth discoloration and alteration of taste in two of the five studies on chlorhexidine. The severity of oral mucositis was shown to be reduced by 30% using a povidone-iodine mouthwash as compared with sterile water in a single randomized controlled trial. These results do not support the use of chlorhexidine mouthwash to prevent oral mucositis.

povidone-iodine is Betadine (sold over the counter) I was unaware it was safe to use orally

heblaj01
12-01-2006, 02:47 PM
In this small study intravenous treatment with L-alanyl-L-glutamine of severe oral mucositis appears to be effective in a majority of cases although it is not as convenient as the povidone-iodine mouthwash treatment described in Lani's post above.

http://patient.cancerconsultants.com/head_cancer_news.aspx?id=37781
Intravenous Glutamine May Improve Oral Mucositis in Patients with Head and Neck Cancer

cathy34
12-05-2006, 10:12 AM
The chemo nurses where I go tell me to use Biotene. It's great. However, I've had really - really bad mouth sores and the Biotene doesn't make them go away. Only a reduction in meds will do that.
Try to get the Biotene, it does help on a daily basis.
Good Luck!

tousled1
12-05-2006, 11:39 AM
When I was getting my chemo I was plagued with mouth sores. They were so bad that they were even in my throat and I couldn't eat anything. My oncologist prescribed Nystatin which really helped. You just swish it around in your mouth and then swallow it. You use it a couple times a day and the sores will completely clear up. Ask your oncologist for a prescription. Good luck to you.

rinaina
12-05-2006, 01:56 PM
I had terrible mouth sores while going through chemo and my onc prescribed a numbing compound that I got at the pharmacy, (wasn't covered by insurance because it was a compound), but it worked really well to ease the discomfort and made it possible to eat without my mouth feeling like it was on fire. Biotene is good for rinsing and not causing burning but it won't heal. Chlorahexidine has anti microbial properties to help prevent infections but again will not heal the sores from chemo. Good luck

Donna
12-06-2006, 12:32 PM
My oncologist also gave me a prescription that had to go to a compounding pharmacy - burned like heck to rinse with it, but my sores were gone in a couple of days! I have the ingredients if you want them - it's called "Mines Mouthwash"- I know there is nystatin and benadryl in it. It really worked.

Good luck!

Donna

michele u
12-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Biotene---- they have a mouthwash, toothpaste and liquid mouth drops that help with a dry mouth