PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! Anyone have any experience w/ Social Security and Medicare?

RhondaH
11-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Any advise regarding the attached?

Rhonda

"I just picked-up the mail and in it was a letter from the Social Security Administration. After reviewing all the medical evidence, they agree that I have a permanent disability and qualify for benefits. The first check will not be received until 5/23/07 and medicare benefits are not available until I've been on disability for a full 24 months. That means I have no income until almost June! And I'll have to keep paying for COBRA out of my own pocket in order to keep my insurance. Of course, COBRA is only available for 18 months and medicare isn't available for 24 months. Anyone else see a problem with this? Also, after reading
the brochure they sent, it sounds like if I were to get assistance from any
other agency or organization, the amount will be deducted from my benefit
payment, and I could lose my benefits all together! Perhaps I just don't
understand what they are saying. So, the question is if I have no income until June, and we are already hundreds of dollars behind on our household bills, owe thousands in medical related bills, have child support to pay, plus have to pay $400 a month for COBRA and then co-pays ontop of that, and need nearly $1000 to repair the van (CV joints, brakes, and some belt thingy), how do we stay afloat??? I know what the answer is from the Social Security Administration, because I asked, and their answer is that I should have savings, investments or take-out loans to get by. Of course, over three years of battling cancer has totally drained me financially (and just about everyone else I know) and the SSA does not take that into consideration! If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them, cause I don't think there is anyway we are going to make it until June with me not working. Unfortunately, working is less and less likely everyday as I'm having increasing pain, nerve and muscle damage. Hopefully, the upcoming surgery will help to relieve some of this, but the doctors have already told me that my right arm will never have the same strength or functionality that it once had, and there could be additional unforeseen complications. I guess we will see what the outcome of all of this is. Honestly, I'm trying to keep a positive attitude despite everything. But the news from the SSA isn't making it any easier for any of us!"

tousled1
11-30-2006, 07:54 AM
Rhonda,

I'm sorry to say but this is the way social security works. You must be disabled for 24 months until you qualify for Medicare. Also when you get approved for social security benefits you never do get paid for the first six months of your disability. I guess they think we all have money stashed away in our mattress that we can live on.

If I were you I'd check to see if there are any local or state agencies that you can apply to for assistance. I don't think that those programs would affect your social secuirty benefits.

Joe
11-30-2006, 08:26 AM
I believe COBRA is extended to 36 months if the person is disabled. Also the waiting period starts at the date of disability..not the date of the award. So if your became metastatic stage IV in January..you will receive a lump sum dating back to the time of disability.

I am confused why she must wait 7 months for payment.

Here is an excellent resource for information and advice,
The Loyola Law School Cancer Legal Resource Center:
http://www.lls.edu/academics/candp/clrc.html

Also, your local Congressman can be of imense help in these matters.

You may wish to contact them. Note the Loyola Group will be our guests at our second "Quality of Life" teleconference in February.

Regards
Joe

MJo
11-30-2006, 08:33 AM
If I were in your shoes, I'd first talk to a social worker at the American Cancer Society or another cancer assistance agency (in delaware, for instance, we have something called the cancer care connection). If you go to a cancer center for treatment, see if they have a social worker. I know to get medicaid, your income has to be very very low -- around 5300 for a single person. If you have your husband's income, you likely won't qualify. It's awful, I know. I'd go to a social worker from a good private agency to get information before approaching a government social worker. They do their best but many are overwhelmed and a few are incompetent.

We are used to being independent. Asking for assistance is so strange, I know.

Lolly
11-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Here's a link to the SSA's page on Disability Benefits; it answers some of your questions:

SSA Disability
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10029.html#part6

Hope this helps.

Sandy H
11-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Rhonda, I don't understand why you have to wait for 7 months. How long have you been out of work? What date did you use for your disability? You need to be out of work for 6 months before receiving your first check as well as disabled. It sounds as though you should meet these two requirements. If you told them you were disabled last month then you will have to wait 5 more months to receive a check. The first 6 months is not covered by SS because if one is working then he has short term diability for 6 months and then SS picks up from there. As far as Medicare is concern it is two years from receiving your first check. So if you receive your first check next May then it will be 24 months from that date. I agree this waiting for two years for Medicare is not right but that is how it is set up. I would ask to speak to the social worker in oncology (we have one that does just the oncology) as they are usually very helpful. I see ours in the treatment rooms every time I am there helping patients with all kinds of issues. I hope you can work this out and get the help you need. Keep calling, asking for help and you will get it. You don't need this stress! Sending you a big hug, Sandy

RhondaH
11-30-2006, 08:42 PM
my post was an email from a breast cancer friends brother who has lung cancer. I had to edit my introduction to make it fit and forgot to attach a seperate post. Sorry for the mix up, but your information has/will be very helpful. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Sandy H
12-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi Rhonda: I kept reading this and couldn't figure it out thinking it was you! My chemo brain was in the way and if I had looked at the top and saw your name then I would have known. Thanks for clarifying. hugs, Sandy

MJo
12-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Rhonda, I'm so glad it's not you facing this predicament. MJO

RhondaH
12-01-2006, 10:56 AM
I hate to see ANYONE have to go through this. Thank you ALL for your support and advise. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

bmuenks
12-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Rhonda: You had me worried there for a minute! I'm sorry your friend is going through such a hard time. I think you have the right story on Medicare but Medicaid rules vary from state to state. Some states allow disability medicaid with a spend down that will pick up medical expenses over a certain living allowance. Good luck. BERTA