PDA

View Full Version : When it rains it pours

Sherryg683
11-29-2006, 11:26 PM
It seems like when the bad stuff starts happening it just rolls on. In the past 2 years I have lost 3 friends to cancer (all were women in their 40's), another was diagnosed with breast cancer 9 months before me. My brother was diagnosed with melanoma and given a 40 percent chance it will return. I was diagnosed Stage IV. My sons best friend, 18 years old, who was like my second son was killed in an automobile accident in October. And we just got the news that my husbands secretary 27 years old has brain cancer, her tumor was the size of a baseball. She was operated on today. What in the heck is happening here, it just doesn't make sense to me. Before a few years ago, I didn't even know anyone who was sick. My CT/PET scans came back clean today, or at least that's what the nurse told me...I meet with my Oncologist tomorrow. I'm almost afraid that she might have made a mistake the way things are going around here..I try hard to keep positive thoughts but it keeps getting harder. It's about time for the new year to bring a new trend, good health to all of us..sherryg683

eric
11-30-2006, 12:37 AM
Sherry,

I'm so sorry for the bad news surrounding you but thrilled about your scan results. There's no reason to believe it's a mistake so please try and remind yourself of that. I really don't understand why things happen the way they do but I try and be happy and thankful for the good things. I know thats easier said than done but you can mourn the ones around you while being happy for yourself.

Eric

saleboat
11-30-2006, 06:05 AM
I'm so sorry Sherry. That is a huge string of bad news. I can imagine a bit what it is like, because we've had a string of cancer in the family this year, but nothing like what you're experiencing. No words of advice, just a note to let you know that I read your post and wishing you strength.

Jen

SusanV
11-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Sherry,

Hang in there....things have to get better for you, they just have to !! Good luck with your onc..keep us posted.

Vanessa
11-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Hi Sherry, I am sorry for all the bad things that have been going on in your life. You are absolutely right when you say "when it rains it pours." I don't have any advice either, but would like to say that I hope things get better and I am happy to hear that your scans are clear. I agree with the New Year we need a new trend. Here is to good health for all of us! Hang in there.

rinaina
11-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Great news that your scanx were clear and maybe that will be the start of a new trend. It's so difficult to stay positive when all this bad is surrounding you but keep the faith, things are bound to turn around for the better soon. It can't last forever. Hoping the holidays and new year brings good things for all.

chrisy
11-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Hi sherry,

It has indeed been a stormy time for you and those close to you. I feel the same way.

I know your onc visit will confirm that you have CLEAN reports.

And most of all , I join you in praying for a healthy, peaceful 2007 for all of us.

chris

Heart Sutra
11-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Thank you for being here

Sometimes it does feel that way, we've been hit hard on all fronts too, lately it seems more than ever before.

This is when all the wonderful philosophy and intent in life is thrown right out for a few moments of crashing. That's ok, its normal, and maybe even necessary.

Whatever the trend, it is going to change. It is this way for this moment, but there is no reason to think it will last. I'm sorry you're getting hit right now, and I'm sorry that this adds doubt to the good news you've received.

You did receive good news. That was real. That's something to hold onto.
There is a lot of talk about "one day at a time" on this board... there's nothing wrong with an hour at a time, or 15 minutes, or even one minute.
Consider that during this minute, you're reading all these posts from people who obviously care about you, and at the same time they are being cared for by you by what you've written. This is the truth. That is pretty positive stuff. Also the type of stuff that is easy to miss when the sky is falling. Also corny sounding stuff that can be infuriating when you feel bad.

Thank you for reminding me of this.

my apologies in advance for sounding preachy... a really bad habit I can never quite shake :) Trust that I'm talking to myself as much as to you whenever I put my 2 cents in, as if I know what I'm talking about. You'll probably have the opportunity to throw it all right back at me at some point. Good luck with the oncologist appt. I'm sure you heard it right the first time.
----Kevin and Sue----

Bev
11-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Sherry, I know it's hard with all that is going on, but enjoy the good news. I bet it's for real. Bev

Sherryg683
11-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks all, my scans did come back all clean. It's my year anniversary tomorrow. Going to have to go shopping. Every time I get my clean scan results , it costs my hubby, I get so excited I have to go buy new clothes...lol..sherry

Jean
12-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Yes, Sherry,

It seems that lately that is all we hear - if it is not friends or friends of people
we know, or reporting of famous people on TV having bc, or cancer, it is
so difficult to remain positive. I can not remember hearing so much about
bc prior to these past two years....but we must remain positive and strong
(there are days when it seems just to difficult).

Enjoy your good news and I wish you continued good health!

hugs,
Jean