PDA

View Full Version : At The Beginning

Mary Jo
11-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Hello Everyone,

I spoke with someone last night who was just recently diagnosed with breast cancer. She was just diagnosed on the Friday after Thanksgiving and will already have a lumpectomy on Tuesday of next week. Anyway, that got me thinking as to what you all had done to you after your diagnosis.

After having a needle core biopsy I was told the next day I had breast cancer. From there appointments were made to meet with a surgeon and an oncologist. The first oncologist I met with wanted me to have a PET scan to see if the cancer was anywhere else, a chest x-ray, blood work and an MRI of both breasts to see if there was anymore breast cancer. After all of that (thankfully all tests proved negative EXCEPT for original breast cancer) I had my mastectomy approximately 5 weeks after diagnosis.

Looking back, I remember how I wanted everything over with right away but now am so thankful I was put through this series of tests.

What was your course of testing after diagnosis? Does everyone go through a PET scan after first diagnosis? Blood work? Chest X-ray? OR whatever else there is.

God Bless you all,

Mary Jo

Joe
11-28-2006, 04:10 PM
What a setup!!! Our group is currently working on a telephone support program for newly diagnosed bc patients. We're looking to launch it during the first quarter of 2007.

Warmest Regards
Joe

Mary Jo
11-28-2006, 04:14 PM
Joe,

What do you mean when you say "what a setup?" I was a bit confused by your post.

Thanks for explaining.

Mary Jo

Stephanie B.
11-28-2006, 04:14 PM
My doctors were very aggressive with my diagnosis. I went in on a Tuesday after finding the lump over the weekend. My OB/GYN sent me immediately over to get a mammogram and ultrasound. The results showed a mass so I was scheduled for a biopsy the following day. My OB/GYN called me on Thursday with the bad news and had set up an appt. with the Surgeon for Monday (I couldn't go Friday because it was Christmas Eve and they were gone until Monday - Merry Christmas to me!) My surgeon scheduled my lumectomy for that Wednesday morning. I went back for a follow up the following Wed and was told they didn't get everything and went back in the next day for a masectomy.

Sherryg683
11-28-2006, 05:16 PM
I had my diognostic mammogram and biopsy done on December 1. It took until December 22 for me to get in and do my lumpectomy. PET scans were done shortly thereafter, around the 1st of the year. I started chemo on the 4th. I had 2 very small lung mets. I sometimes wonder if they had a chance to develop within that 20 day period between diagnosis and surgery. They took a chest Xray that first day when they did the biopsy and said it was clean, I know chest Xrays don't show everything but it makes me wonder...sherryg683

saleboat
11-28-2006, 05:45 PM
I can't speak for Joe, but I believe he meant that your question provided the opportunity for him to announce that that site is starting a support program for newly diagnosed patients...

RhondaH
11-28-2006, 06:27 PM
I know what you mean. I was dx using an excisional biopsy (he knew it was a lump, but didn't know if it was cancerous, asked me if I wanted it and would do a core biopsy, but I said no, take it out) on 2/1/05 and the surgeon went back in on 2/7/05 (cancelled another surgery to get me in so soon) making sure the margins were clean and checking 6 lymph nodes. The week after my partial mastectomy I had chest x ray, blood tests and bone scan. I began 6 rounds of dose dense TEC 3 weeks after surgery, finishing on 5/18/05, began 33 rads 3 weeks after finishing chemo finishing on 8/1/05 and beginning Herceptin 8/18/05 and finishing 8/10/06. I talk to others who are FAR worse off than me and wait MONTHS to begin treatment. I'm THANKFUL, my docs moved fast. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

tousled1
11-28-2006, 07:52 PM
MareJo,

I had my mammogram October 25, 2005 and was told that day that I had invasive ductual carcinoma. I met with a surgeon who did the biopsy which confirmed the diagnosis. I then met with an oncologist who sent me for a bone scan, CAT scan, MRI, blood work, and a PET/CT scan. I had chemo before surgery to shrink the tumor. The rest you can read in my signature

Vanessa
11-28-2006, 09:32 PM
After my mamogram and ultrasound, I was sent to see a surgical oncologist. Before my partial masectomy, I had a catscan. After my masectomy and before I began chemo, I had a petscan and a bonescan which show metastasis to the liver, lining of the stomach and the chest wall. My last 2 follow-up scans have been clear, thank goodness.

Sherryg683
11-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Vanessa, I am so happy to hear your scans are clean now. What combo of chemo did they do, and did you go to MD Anderson?...sherryg683

VirginiaGirl
11-29-2006, 04:11 AM
It took a month from the time I found the lump to finally confirm dx - gyn visit, mammagram, ultrasound, core biopsy. Then things started moving a little more quickly. My surgeon wanted full battery of tests before he went in to do lumpectomy & sentinal node biopsy - got CT, PET, bone scans and then after surgery (scheduling reasons only) had bilateral MRI. I definitely wanted to get the lump out quickly, but I think waiting to get the scans done w/in reasonable amount of time will only provide more info and probably a good way to go, may reduce need for second surgery! Good luck, let us know what happens.

Lauriemn
11-29-2006, 04:46 AM
Well, I probably hold the record for getting things done quickly. After I found a lump, I had mammogram,ultrasound and biopsy on a Friday. Found out it was cancer on Mon. Met with the surgeon during his lunch hour on Tues. I found out I needed a mastectomy and begged him to get me in as soon as possible. I had my mast that Thur (my oldest son's 7th b-day).

I started chemo 3 weeks later(the soonest they would let me start), In those three weeks, I had a bone scan, chest x-ray, ct and pet. thankfully everything was clear.

I was diagnosed 3/24/05, stage 2, 4.5 cm and 2+ nodes. so far, so good!

Laurie

Margerie
11-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Wednesday- found lump, Friday- OB appointment, Tuesday mammogram/ ultrasound- dx "busy breast"- "do you know a surgeon?" Wednesday breast MRI, core biopsy, Thursday dx IDC and DCIS, Friday chest x-ray, blood labs, next Tuesday MRM and axillary dissection, seroma problems, 5 weeks later started chemo.

My onc did not recommend pre-tx scans. He said you tend to undertreat women that have something show up on PET. Had my PET/CT 2 months after chemo- NED. It was hard not knowing all that time.

juanita
11-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Found the lump on a Wenesday-finally called family doc on Friday and saw him that day. Had mammo and ultrasound on Tuesday, core biopsy on Wednesday, found out I had cancer on Thursday, saw surgeon on Friday. It was Labor Day weekend so I had lumpectomy on Tuesday. Then saw surgeon again on Thursday and had port put in on tuesday and started chemo with the first onc on Wednesday. If I had to do it all over again, I would have slowed things down some and researched my choices and oncs.

rinaina
11-29-2006, 03:52 PM
I went for my routine yearly mammo and was called a few days later to come back for "further views". This was not the first time I was called back. Two years before I was called back and all was fine. Went for "further views" and within minutes the technician announced that the radiologist would like an ultra-sound done. What seemed like hours, (but actually was about 15 minutes), I waited and finally the tech came out and said the radiologist would like to speak to you. Uh oh is all I could think of. He said I will need a core biopsy but I should see a surgeon first. He showed me my films and I could see what no one wants to see. A mass. So 2 weeks later I saw my surgeon and the next day had a core biopsy and the next day found out I had breast cancer. The following week I had a procedure done for the sentinel node biopsy which wasn't fun. They placed a wire and a metal tube in my breast. The next morning I had another film taken and proceded then to the outpatient surgi center at the hospital and had a lumpectomy. Went home the same day. Surgeon called a few days later to say I had Interductal carcinoma and he wanted to see me in a week. Now at 10 days post surgery I found out about the her2+ and was told I would need chemo. Quite a journey for us all.

Vanessa
11-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey Sherry, The combination I started out with was Taxotere, carboplatin and herceptin. I actually started chemo on June 14th of this year. My doctor discontinued carboplatin because I had an anaphylatic reaction to it. That was in August. Since the middle of August until the middle of November I only received taxotere and herceptin. My doctor said that was still a good combination without the carboplatin. I am on break now, because my scans are clean. My doctor seems to think that the Herceptin is the wonder drug and the reason my scans are clean.

Vanessa
11-29-2006, 07:15 PM
I forgot to say that I did not go to MD Anderson. My regular MD referred me to Stehlin Foundation at St. Joseph's Hospital. My oncologist is Dr. Sara Reddy and I really like her. She explains everything really well and is very compassionate. Her husband works at MD Anderson, so I feel like she has a pipeline to the latest research. Stehlin Foundation also does their own research.

sadie
11-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Wow! It seems like you ladies went thru alot more than I did at the beginning.
I had my annual physical & mammogram at end of Sept 05. They did 2nd views immediately after my mammogram. I wasn't too worried, since I had an ultrasound done afterward a few years ago and it was only a cyst.
The following Monday, my dr called & asked to see me. She told me the mamm showed cancer (for sure). She set up appt with surgeon 3 days later. Surgeon scheduled surgical biopsy following week. Saw him for followup 1 week later. Confirmed cancer. Did lumpectomy following week. Saw oncologist 2 weeks later. Started chemo following week (Nov '05)
I had no other tests, x-rays, or scans. Only did blood work at initial oncologist consult. I asked for an mri and she said "no, because it was caught so early, nothing would show up anyway (it would be too microscopic)"
Finally had cat scan & mri of effected breast 1 year post op.
mri clean. Cat scan showed 7mm spot on liver. Doc said not to worry, could be anything (alot of false positives). Having a followup cat scan this month as a double-check.
Wish me luck.