PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have Artificial Saliva Recommendations?

Donna
11-28-2006, 12:19 AM
Hello Amazing Group,

I had my last Taxol infusion a week ago and the lack of saliva is getting worse by the day. It wakes me up so many times at night because the inside of my mouth is so dry it's all stuck together and I have to sip water....only to be awakened again and again through the night.

I am sure many of you have had some success in dealing with this....or some idea how long this might last. Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much! Have a great day!

Donna

rinaina
11-28-2006, 07:20 AM
You can try the biotene products, toothpaste and mouthwash. I found them to be of little help but others have found them helpful. I chew sugarless gum constantly and suck on sugar free lemon drops as well. Lots of water. I have a condition called Sjogren's Syndrome that causes dry mouth and dry eyes and that is about all I know of.

Sandy H
11-28-2006, 09:44 AM
I have problems with a dry mouth and drink lots and lots of water which helps. I try to stay away from sugar free candies and gum as they have artificial sweetners in them. Many of them still have aspartame in them despite all the publicity about it not being good for cancer. I don't think you can buy it as a sweetner but it is found in many of the foods today. I would try drinking more fluids. I do have more problems at night so I keep a large glass of water by my bed. hugs. Sandy

rinaina
11-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Try gums and lemon drops with zylitol only as the sugar substitute. Studies have shown they do not have the same ill effects as others.

pattyz
11-28-2006, 02:10 PM
I've been dealing with the same (dry mouth) for a number of years. I like the biotene squirt in stuff. Just wish it would actually last the night. Doesn't for me. So, I do what you do: sip and swish with water during the night.... Or, just turn over and go back to sleep.

I have problems with food because of it. Can't eat 'dry' foods as there is no saliva to get it worked up enough to swallow, or to taste for that matter.

It's a great reason/excuse for gooey, gravy, soup, sauce and ice cream though!!

With you in empathy,
pattyz

Ruth
11-28-2006, 05:34 PM
I had the same problems and when I suggested artificial saliva to my Onc. he suggested chewing gum first & sucking on jolly ranchers. I know most of us try to stay away from too much sugar but I did it anyway just because I couldn't stand the lack of saliva! I think that the pain killers for the Taxol contributed to it, not only the chemo....It worked for me enough that I didn't get the artificial saliva and it eventually cleared up about 4 months post chemo. So sorry you are having this problem~I remember how much I hated it. Also, I noticed that my tongue had this awful white coating on it...and wondered if it would ever get back to normal. I think this had to do with the dry mouth as it has cleared up too.

Have a blessed day ~ Ruth