I am new to Herceptin and am having it weekly for 30 minutes after the first
loading dose for 90 minutes. How long do you have to take benedryl with the
treatments because this ruins my whole day and I can't drive and can barely
stay awake.
Thanks for any information on this.
Patb

Chelee
11-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Once they do your loading dose and find out you don't have any reactions to herceptin...you should be able to do the rest of them without benedryl.

Chelee

tricia keegan
11-24-2006, 03:53 PM
My Dr insisted I have Benadryl for every treatment and like you it just put me asleep for the day.

I think he was just being over cautious!
Tricia

panicked911
11-24-2006, 03:57 PM
I had a full dose for the first laoding dose. For the second dose I convi ced the doc to cut it in half. By treatment 3 I flew solo without it. You eed to be your own advocate. Speak to the doctor directly about it and make your argument for foregoig it logical and persuasive. Chances are she will not order it.

Good luck.

Susanne

chrislmelb
11-24-2006, 04:02 PM
I have never had Benadryl and I can't see any reason i'd even have needed it. I suggest you just tell them you don't want it.
Good luck
Christine

kari
11-24-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi Patb,
I had my first Herceptin last week. The only pre-med the onc ordered was 650 mg. Tylenol. I had no reactions whatsoever of any kind. I had asked the chemo nurse about Benadryl, as I had heard some pts. get it, and she said they don't usually give it as a pre-med. Unless there is strong evidence for you to have it, ask about going without. Good luck.
Take care,
Karen

"The Good Lord gave us mountains, so we could learn how to climb!"

Hopeful
11-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Patb, I had benadryl, tylenol and an anti-emetic with my loading dose. I felt worse from the benadryl and the anti-emetic than anything else. Since I had no reactions to the Herceptin, I asked my dr. at the time of the second treatment to eliminate the premeds, which he gladly did. I am so sensitive to benadryl, I was not only out the day of the treatment, but "hung over" the next day. It was definitely the worst part of the treatment.

Hopeful

suzan w
11-25-2006, 10:40 AM
I never had any benadryl either...not even at loading dose.

chrisy
11-25-2006, 11:45 AM
I never had any premeds with Herceptin, and never had any problems. Try requesting at least a reduction in the amount, then when that goes well maybe they'll let you wean yourself completely!

good luck
Chris

Rendi69CA
11-25-2006, 10:37 PM
I need the bendryl. If I don't take it I will start coughing and my heart start beating fast. It depend with the person. Ask your doctor for half on your next treatment and work yourself off. If you have any side effect stay on it.

MJo
11-26-2006, 09:23 AM
I have a mild cough with herceptin. I was one of those people who was terrified of getting an allergic reaction to all of the BC drugs, because Ive had asthma and allergies since childhood. I also had an anaphylactic reaction to penicillan, and I never want that to happen again. I read about people with mouse allergies getting allergic reactions to herceptin, so I actually had my allergist test me for mouse allergy. The test was negative. The oncologist gave me no premeds for my herceptin loading dose, maybe due to allergy test results. For subsequent doses, took a benedryl tablet on my own before herceptin dose. Now I don't take benedryl because I'd rather stay alert. I was so afraid of the BC drugs that I know the nurses and doctors thought I was a little crazy. So be it. I was no hero. My fears lessened as treatment progressed and I tolerated it well. Now I'm a model patient.

sadie
11-30-2006, 07:43 PM
I got full dose of Benadry (don't know how much that was) with my 1st loading dose & 2nd dose of Herceptin. Since this made me sleep most of the weekend, I asked to have it cut in half. Now I get a very very nice nap during the treatment and sometimes I take another nap a few hours later at home. Then I'm good the rest of the weekend. I LOVE those naps. It's the best sleep I ever get!
The nurses told me to take a double dose of over-the-counter benadryl at bedtime if I'm having trouble sleeping. They said that would do the same thing for me as what I get at the treatment.

Bev
11-30-2006, 09:31 PM
I hated Benadryl and decadron. They made my heart race. Then I would have the hangover feeling. I only had to do premeds with T & H. Once on Herceptin only, no premeds. 30 minutes and I'm out of there. Drive home and live life. I have some of the other side effects, crappy nails, etc. If your office has a phone-in nurse triage line, call in and state you are considering discontinuing Herceptin unless they cut back on Benadryl, they may be more receptive. Wait and see what they tell you when they call back. During taxol, they wouldn't cut back on the dosage but the nurses dripped it very slow once I complained. If you are scheduled to see the onc tell him how miserable the benadryl makes you feel. I guess your onc is worried about you having a reaction. As so many of us are doing it w/o premeds, it can be done. Good luck, BB

tousled1
11-30-2006, 09:35 PM
I received benedryl and tynol with my first herceptin treatment. Now I don't get any premeds.