PDA

View Full Version : Weekly herceptin is better?

Chelee
11-23-2006, 11:40 PM
On another board one women said their oncologist had been at a conference and told her that a study was done and it showed that herceptin worked better in weekly doses then the 3 week dose. (It was only suppose to be a small difference...but I would like to see the actually results to this study if possible?)

I did a search for this information on google and can't find anything on it? Has anyone here heard this news yet?

Chelee

panicked911
11-24-2006, 04:05 PM
What she may be referring to is a study that wa done that showed weekly was better while udergoing radiation treatments. I don't kow the name of the study or where it was done - it was a small study but credible enough for two oncologists and the radiooncologist to insist on weekly thru rads and the three weeks after.

Susanne

Sherryg683
11-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Don't know of the study but my oncologist told me that he has seen better results with the 1 week infusions for advanced cancer...sherryg683

Sandy H
11-24-2006, 08:34 PM
My oncologist liked weekly as he felt it was easier on the heart with a single dose then triple every 3 weeks. He said if it meant a hardship of traveling he would do the 3 weeks. hugs, Sandy

Chelee
11-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Susanne, That may of been the study her onc was talking about. Lower doses of herceptin with rads would be safer I would think. Thanks for passing that along to me. I will have her ask her onc if that is the study she was referring to?

Chelee

Chelee
11-25-2006, 12:22 AM
Sherri, I'm glad to hear your onc say that...especially since I have pretty much done weekly. (I've done the 3 week dose three times.) My last one was a three week dose but since I only have till Feb. I think I will go back to weekly. Its a pain in the rear to go in weekly...but I do know I feel better with the weekly. Less of a headache and not as tired. Plus I got my crusty dried out nose this last time again. I have not had that for a LONG time on the weekly.

Plus as Sandy said I do like the idea of it being easier on the heart. Thats a major plus. I do worry more when I get the three week dose...although I have been fine. The weekly just seems like a more even, and well balanced dose.

Chelee

chrisy
11-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi Chelee,

This question comes up a lot and I keep forgetting to ask my onc for "the data" on 1 week vs. 3 week. Maybe it's chemo-brain LOL.

Being on indefinite Herceptin, I should press on this if it makes a difference. So far (thank God) the 3 weekly has been working well with no problems and leaves me plenty of "off weeks" to take exotic vacations...so I hope it is as effective. But if there is evidence I would certainly trade that for a few points on the odds!

By the way, welcome back, glad to see you posting again (I know you've been lurking!)

take care
Chris

Bev
11-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Hey Chelee,

I'm on the 3 weekly plan. No heart issues. As they say we are making the new stats. H hangs around in your bloodstream for more than 3 weeks which suggest that may be all you need it. Most of the studies were 1 x weekly so that's what they know. I'm trusting my onc on this one. So nice to hear from you again. BB

Chelee
11-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Christy, If you do happen to ask your oncologist what they have heard on this topic of weekly herceptin...I would love to hear his/her reply?

I suppose I can call the makers of herceptin again and find out directly from them if there was such a study? I've called them before and they are great about answering any questions or concerns. I want to know before my next herceptin infusion...if weekly is better...I will just switch back again.

(By the way...thanks Christy and Bev.) http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/wink.gif

Chelee

Jennid1
11-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Actually I asked the question on the BreastCancer.org board. My question was "I went for my 3week dose of herceptin yesterday and my oncol told me the conference she attend recently stated that weekly doses of herceptin are better. I was just wondering if you are all getting the same feed back from your docs as I've seen nothing in writting."

The guest speaker was Christine ???(sorry chemo brain) from Sloan. I have done some research and found that as almost all the studies have been done with weekly dosing that is the recommend dosage. However, those of us getting everythree week doses are paving the way for three week dosage. As I'm currently NED then I have to assume that every three weeks is working well for me. I know for me quality of life is as important as it's length.

Best Wishes,
Deb