PDA

View Full Version : Rising 27.29 tumor marker levels

VirginiaGirl
11-21-2006, 12:09 PM
I was interested to hear people's experiences with their tumor marker levels rising after starting tamoxifen. My numbers have always been very low, but the trend has been for my numbers to rise. A year ago my 27.29 level was 7, then in June was up to 16, that's what prompted new tests and mets dx. Saw my onc yesterday and I am very concerned that my tumor marker jumped from that 16 five months ago to 59 as of last week. My onc said it is normal for the level to rise after starting tamoxifen, but I was freaked and didn't ask more questions. He's trying to get me in for a pet/ct this week. Thanks for any thoughts, input on this.

Bev
11-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Don't want to say much where I don't have experience.The only thing I have seen is, you are having a problem if your scores rise in a logarithmic fashion. I wouldn't say that's your case yet. Next score should speak volumes. Just want to bump this up for others to reply.

Please keep in touch and let us know what's happening, BB

Becky
11-22-2006, 05:59 AM
I agree with Bev. My numbers are all over the place between 11 and 21 but in a chaotic fashion (11, 16, 13, 15, 21, 12 etc). If they are steadily going up, you need to check things out just to be sure.

rinaina
11-22-2006, 06:45 AM
tumer markers? are these blood tests and what do numbers mean and what is 27.29 level? how do i know i am tested like this?

VirginiaGirl
11-23-2006, 06:40 AM
Bev & Becky, thanks for your replies. My onc was at first disregarding my tumor marker #s coz so low until I pointed out the trend, so I'm glad he is taking this seriously and acting on it. I was able to get in for PET/CT yesterday, so I'm trying to decide if I'm going to try to get results myself tomorrow or just wait til Monday appt w/ my onc.

Rinaina - tumor markers are blood tests. To my understanding, they measure proteins or other substances that cancer cells give off in greater quantity than normal cells. There are different tests for different kinds of cancers, and they are not definitive. Some docs don't believe in using them. The ones for breast cancer are CEA, CA15-3 and 27.29. I've only ever had the 27.29 done, not really sure why that is actually. Supposedly a value of 38 and below for the 27.29 test is considered "normal" which is why it's not necessarily the #value itself but the trends over time that they look at. I would ask your doc his/her opinion on having that done. In my mind, anything so un-intrusive that can give us more info on what may be happening in our bodies is a good thing! Good luck

rinaina
11-23-2006, 07:58 AM
thank you virginia girl for that excellent answer. i do have blood tests every six weeks now that i have started herceptin. i use to have them every 3 weeks while on chemo. perhaps along with checking my blood counts they were also checking tumor markers. i will be sure to ask.