PDA

View Full Version : First cancer mets Thanksgiving memory...empathy for turkeys

Lisa
11-18-2006, 10:43 PM
I was diagnosed with my metastatic cancer close to Thanksgiving. It had been 3 1/2 years since my original diagnosis and thought myself "cured." By the actual holiday, I had become convinced that I couldn't eat meat, drink wine or eat sugary foods -- EVER. I was so set in these beliefs that I remember walking down the grocery store aisle shopping for "THE MEAL" and crying, because there was so little I could buy.

Well, that was then and now is now. Now, I'll eat anything you serve me for Thanksgiving and I actually give thanks that I'm still around to eat at all.

If you're new at this cancer thing, let yourself relax and enjoy. Remember, you can complain because roses have thorns or rejoice because thorns have roses.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Love and light to all.

Lisa

KellyA
11-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Lisa-

Thank you for posting. Sometimes I feel like I'm crazy because I'm so paranoid about sugar, meat,- you name it. I haven't even been able to enjoy 1 "celebratory" drink for the end of chemo. I am just so scared to do anything that might affect my outcome. Logically I know that if I do these things in moderation, that it's ok. I think that I'm so tramatized that I just can't think logically right now. Anyways, you are so right about enjoying life and letting go a little. Now, if I can just do it........ :-)

Love, Kelly

SusanV
11-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Loved the Rose & Thorn Analogy....how True

Happy Thanksgiving

Kimberly Lewis
11-20-2006, 03:45 AM
Great story Lisa - you are right about that.

I rember the dr.s telling my Dad who was given less than 3 months to live that he couldn't eat ice cream, his favorite treat, my sister had the good sence to run out and buy him a pint of his favorite to eat in the hospital.