PDA

View Full Version : Fosamax? Zometa?

Liz J.
11-14-2006, 07:22 PM
Hi all,

I know I may be reading into this, but I am concerned that my Onc. knows something I don't. Yesterday, out of the blue he asked me if I am taking Fosamax. Strangely, my PCP had prescribed this a few months ago but I never took it as I heard/read about too many side effects. I told him this yesterday (after he pushed the Fosamax) and he said that if I don't take the Fosamax I will end up needing Zometa. I didn't know what Zometa was until I asked him. I see that many on the support group get Zometa, but I thought it was some form of chemo. He wants me to have a bone density, yes I am due for one. But, I don't know why he is pushing this before the density test. I am due for a bone scan in January as I have not had one since last January. I have not complained to either DR. about bone pain. I didn't ask too many questions at the time, but of course when I came home and started to do my research I see that bone mets can be picked up in blood tests if there is too much calcium. Now I am wondering why he is sending me for density and not the scan yet and why all of a sudden he is insisting on the Fosamax. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Liz J.

Becky
11-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Dear Liz

If you are ER+/PR+ and on an aromatase inhibitor, there are several new studies (and more info coming out at the San Antonio conference) that if you are taking an AI, you need to take a bone strengthener. If you are ok with your bone density now, you probably won't be after being on an AI for five years. If you are on the edge now (as I am), you could definitely be in trouble after 5 years. While getting chemo and herceptin (since I was already getting IV treatments), my onc gave me Zometa every 6 months as a bone strengthener. (I am Stage 2A so no bone mets). Since I am done with Herceptin now, in May (2007) I have to start Fosamax or Boniva as it will be 12 months (recommendation is a Zometa treatment every 6-12 months for osteopenia or osteoporesis). So... not to worry, it is being done as a preventative measure I am sure. For the record, there is a trial testing Zometa vs nothing as a bone mets preventer. Zometa is given every 6 months for 5 yrs to see if it prevents bone mets in early bc.

Hope this helps

Becky

PS - my first bone density showed slight osteopenia in my spine. My neck and hips readings were good.

Liz J.
11-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Hi Becky,

Thank you for shedding some light on this. I feel better already. Everything that you said makes sense.

All the Best.

Liz J.