PDA

View Full Version : No small miracle...

jessica
11-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Hi All~
This is the FIRST place I wanted to share my news...Okay, I did call my mom first...
2 weeks of a multitude of tests revealed 4 new breast tumors-1.5cm-6mm. I spoke w/the 2 radiologists and my surgeon before leaving the imaging center & the BreastMRI/Mammo/US/Core Biopsy left little question that my disease was invasive again.

However, I just got the pathology report back that shows the sample is BENIGN!!!
Wha? Whoa...WHA???http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif
Not since I started this "Stage IV-4surgery-81 weeks of chemo-not counting solo Herceptin-in 4 1/2 years-Journey" have I ever had the thrill of hearing the word "BENIGN"!

My Story~
Primary Dx:May'02, 33 years old, StageIV-Liver Mets.
L Lumpectomy+49 weeks of chemo = NEDx1year, Herceptin solo
Sept'04 -Recurrence to liver-Single, otherwise NED
On/Off chemo x 1year = 81 weeks chemo in total
STILL fighting off Single Stubborn Lesion
Dec'05 -Right Hepatectomy to FINALLY excise lesion
Feb'06 -Mammo reveals extensive,HighGrade DCIS in L breast (not present@
primary dx) + 1cm invasive mass
Excisional biopsy to remove invasive mass,but no add'l surgery
to allow for more recovery time from BIG Liver sx

We've been vigilantly watching the DCIS, with Breast MRI's & full body PETs(all clean),until this round of scans found all that mess-4 new masses + more pervasive DCIS.
I've had since February to anticipate the inevitable, but not happy about another Big surgery,through the Holidays again, and back on chemohttp://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/frown.gif

Imagine my shock, surprise, thrill, joy, SHOCK, skepticism, JOY when the Rn called me w/the results from the path! She says they're all stunned (but happy) by the report & are going to Tumor Board w/my case.
My disease has been so uncharacteristic,bad, good, even backwards.We're writing our own rules as we go.
I'm going ahead w/mastec&recon, but we're less "under the gun" now. And that is a great relief!
I still feel a little like I'm waiting for "the other shoe to drop", but am able to find some relief in the joy & gratitude for this "little miracle" & had to share it with all of you!

SurvivING this disease for any one of us is a VICTORY for ALL of us.

Keep the Faith~

Jessica

Christine
11-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Magnificent !!!!

It looks like were on a good news streak again.

Hugs
Christine

StephN
11-11-2006, 12:19 PM
...is that our bodies never cease to amaze us! Your JOY is overwhelming!
If your tumors ALL turn out to be benign, this could be similar to what happened to my grandmother some 55 years ago. She had a mastectomy for what she called "tumors." Then a couple of years later the other breast came off. She never took any kind of chemotherapy, but did take cortizone in some form.

She recovered well from these surgeries and lived to be 98 years old (died from stroke complications). Since her case was so many years ago we don't know much about it, but she was taking no chances in keeping her breasts.

Have you had the HER2 serum test? Good results from a test like this could really set your mind at ease. Sorry you have to go through another surgery - having had 3 this year myself, enough already!

Tom
11-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Great to hear Jessica. Just when you think you about to go into the abyss, the Creator provides a joyous moment. I couldn't be happier for you.

Christine, a streak of positive results would do everybody a world of good right about now. Let's pray for a long run. By the way, your picture looks stunning. Commercial photographer was another one of my past careers, so I'm not just flirting...lol. Joe is one lucky man.

And Steph, it sounds like you came from good stock. I think you are gonna be with us a long, long time!

Tom

Barbara
11-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Jessica:

I was very happy to hear of your results. Your determination in the face of such tough events has been great medicine for others in their struggle. I wish you a great life ahead.

Barbara

tousled1
11-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Jessica,

What great news and an inspiration for all of us. Never give up!

lexigirl
11-11-2006, 02:38 PM
That is great news! Wow!! I am so happy that the lumps are benign! Such a sweet word...

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi

Liz J.
11-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Jessica,

Benign is the magic word. Thank God all turned out well.

Sincerely,

Liz J.

Vanessa
11-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Wonderful news!

Sandy H
11-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Keep the good news coming! Awesome news Jessica. Santa is getting ready for Christmas and bearing good news gifts. I hope everyone on this board gets a good news gift. Forget all the other gifts! hugs, Sandy

Bev
11-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Jessica, Thanks for good news. I'm glad we're on a good news streak. Sandy, your hair looks great, you've changed something about it. Very good pic. BB

lindaw
11-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Dear jessica

Great news - what a relief.

love
Linda

mamacze
11-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Dear Jessica,
Not only great news, but great news that you were thoughtful enough to share with us. Nothing short of food for the soul...Love Kim from CT

Joy
11-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Thank you for sharing you fantastic news-enjoy it! I'm sooo happy for you!

MJo
11-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Isn't that a kick in the pants. With all the terror the word tumor causes us, we Her2s can still get benign breast tumors. I am happy for your news. Have a wonderful holiday season. MJO

suzan w
11-12-2006, 09:41 AM
WOW!!! That's AWESOME!!!

rinaina
11-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Hallelujah, great to hear such good news. Hope we hear a lot of that now. So happy for you. All the best and go celebrate if you haven't already.

michele u
11-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Jessica,

Your story is why dr's do not know anyone's outcome. We should never limit ourselves to others expectations. We all here know that miracles happens everyday if we just look hard enough!!!!!!!

kimber
11-12-2006, 04:32 PM
YEAH!!!!!!!!! Wonderful news! I can feel your smile from here! - kim

eric
11-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Great stuff. Lets hope everyone just keeps rewriting the past. I'm very happy for you!

Eric