PDA

View Full Version : Retirment insurance

John21
11-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a question. What do you do after you retire? You guys all know How much this stuff costs. You will end spending everything you have from retirement. What if you retire early? Do companies have retiirement insurance? This worrying my wife and I. She is not happy with her job lately. She is afraid if she quits, what will she do. MCS thread is worrysome. I also agree you should not tell a future employer anything. My wife is an accountant also. We use her insurance because it is much better. I am not sure on my job for the next 5-10 years. We do ok on both our salaries and save alot, but we are worried.

Any one have any thoughts or answers. My wife is stage four and I plan on having around a long time! She has been this way since 2002. Almost 5 years now.

tousled1
11-10-2006, 10:32 AM
John,

I took disability retirement in July 2005 because of an unrelated medical condition. Well, who ever knew that October 2005 I would be diagnosed with Sage III breast cancer! I was fortunate that the company I worked for had a retirement plan (that I never had to pay into) so I receive my retirement benefits from my former employer and also get social security disability benefits. I'm fortunate that my health insurance is still fully paid by former employer. Yes, having cancer costs a lot of money. I'm glad I'm retired because I know had I not retired when I did I would have had to in October 2005. My treatments have been pretty rough on my body, including Herceptin. After I retired I moved to GA and moved in with my daughter, son-in-law and grandson. Well, after being here for over a year I am now ready to get back out on my own. I needed to be here during my initial treatments but feel right now that I can survive on my own. Also, I plan on living a long time and want to get my independence back. My only real concern is that I understand that when you are on disability for 2 years that then medicare becomes your primary health insurance and your private becomes your secondary. That I am not looking forward to, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Best of luck to you and your wife.