PDA

View Full Version : enlarged thyriod

kerbearcure32
11-09-2006, 08:20 PM
hello i was at doc today and he said that my tyhroid is enlarged and that i might have a problem so i have the ths test on monday.does anyone else have this or know anything about this? is it from all the chemo and rads.? i am very scared could my cancer be back ? thanks for the help. kerry

Bev
11-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Kerry, I don't know, just want to keep your post current. What ever it's source, I think there are lots of meds and treatments to fix it. BB

Hopeful
11-10-2006, 06:19 AM
Kerry, I have been doing some research on thyroid and bc, and, from what I have read, enlarged thyroid and bc are often found together:

Shering SG, Zbar AP, Moriarity M, McDermott EW, O'Higgins NJ, Smyth PP
Department of Surgery, St Vincent's Hospital, University College Dublin, Ireland.

We have investigated the controversial association between diseases of the thyroid gland and breast carcinoma using methodology which allows positive exclusion of cases of breast disease from control groups and the detection of subclinical alterations in thyroid volume using high resolution ultrasonography, thus addressing the deficiencies of earlier studies. Whereas the prevalence of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism in patients with breast carcinoma and in healthy controls without clinical evidence of breast disease was similar, non-toxic goitre was more than twice as common in the breast carcinoma patients. Thyroid volumes were also significantly higher in breast carcinoma patients than in controls; using World Health Organisation criteria, 45.5% of breast carcinoma patients had thyroid enlargement compared with only 10.5% of controls. Finally, antithyroid peroxidase autoantibodies were twice as common in breast cancer patients than in controls. These findings provide clear evidence of a relationship between thyroid disease and breast carcinoma, although the mechanisms underlying this relationship require further study, future studies of breast cancer risk factors should therefore include assessment of thyroid function, antibody status and volume.

PMID: 9061284 Link:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9061284

Also, rads can cause your thyroid to shut down if it was in your radiation fields. There seems to be a lot of innocent reasons why this could happen; try to relax until your doctor tells you more about what is going on. Best of luck to you.

Hopeful

sally
11-11-2006, 05:23 PM
My sister had an enlarged thyroid. Hers went undetected for awhile. She does not have cancer but she does have Graves Disease. She had to have her thyroid radiated which kills the thyroid. I think she is on some type of meds to take the place of her thyroid function but I'm not sure what she is on. I think there are alot of meds because it took awhile to find the right one that worked for her. Her Graves Disease is advanced and her eyes are bulging out of her head. I think your eyes bulge only when left untreated too long. I don't know if any of this was helpful. Take care. Sally

lorenachev
12-13-2007, 12:44 PM
I just jioned this forum today because I was informed two days ago that I need a biopsy on my left thyriod gland based on the findings in my ultrasound. I knew that my thyriod was enlarged because of a body scan done 6 years ago, but never checked it out. I am 4 and a half months pregnant with my first chld, and I am 35 years old. I am not too worried right now because I've ben reading up on the possibilities. If the worst case scenario occurs, it is treatable by surgery, and can wait until after I deliver my baby. My doctor told my it is common to detect an enlarged thyriod during pregnancy because of the elevated hormone level.My question is this: in June of 2006, I had 7 fibroids removed from my uterus. What caused them? Who knows? I figured stress. Could these two be related? They're both hormonally related right? Should I worry??