PDA

View Full Version : Employment and cancer treatments

MCS
11-09-2006, 10:21 AM
I lost my job last year in the middle of the chemo treatments. I would like to go back to work but everytime I answer an ad, the employer is unwilling to accept that I am going thru treatment every three weeks and need monitoring thru tests every 3 and 6 months on out. They are hesitant to hire someone that could get sick quickly again and for a long extednded period, or even die.

I am an accountant. Work was really important to me before all this. It isn't anymore but I would like to earn some money. I have two daughters in college and it's expensive

How do I handle this?

Has anyone experienced this?

I feel like I would like to go back to work but no employer wants the responsibility of having a cancer patient. Descrimination, that's right

thanks

MCS ( maria)

Soccermom
11-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Dear Maria,
I am not exactly in your position, but would LOVE to be able to leave the job I had prior to/during and post treatment. I have doing some research regarding our rights as cancer patients which is considered a "disability" by the SSA. Here are some links that might have some info that you can use....

http://www.canceradvocacy.org/

http://www.plwc.org/portal/site/PLWC/menuitem.034b98abc65a8f566343cc10ee37a01d/?vgnextoid=763803e8448d9010VgnVCM100000f2730ad1RCR D

http://janweb.icdi.wvu.edu/

I HATE the thought that I am locked in until I am 5 years out! I just finished last Herceptin 12 weeks ago and if I am correct that starts the clock as far as " years out".Granted, I am no longer on Chemo,but Arimidexcauses me to have pretty significant joint pain. I just don't know when I am no longer considered a Cancer patient (as far as the workplace) is considered.As far as insurance goes ,we know that its 5 years after last treatment. I wonder if Arimidex is considered "treatment"?? OY
My job reaquires standing for 7 hours and day and carrying heavy loads of merchandise. They were great but suddenly they have demandedthat I work more hours to keep my benefits. ARGH!
If anyone has anything to add or to correct me PLEASE feel free!

Good luck to you and let us know how it goes,

Marcia

tousled1
11-09-2006, 12:57 PM
An employer can not discriminate you because you have cancer. Cancer is considered a disability and therefore an employer can not just not hire you because of that.

Lauriemn
11-09-2006, 01:17 PM
I have a job interview coming up and I have no intention of telling them I have cancer. I am done with my herceptin , so I am just having check ups every 3 months.

I wouldn't tell them you have cancer. I would think that you could either use sick time or have your treatments early morning or late afternoon and work around it for how many months of herceptin you have left. I know one woman whose clinic offered sat hours,so she did not have to miss any work to get her herceptin. You might check with yours to see if they offer that.

Laurie

Barbara H.
11-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi,
I am on Herceptin, Navelbine and Zometa, and teach third grade full time. I also take graduate courses. Teaching can be exhausting, but it gives me a purpose and I enjoy my job. I was diagnosed in 98 and recurred with mets 3 years ago this coming May.
Good luck,
Barbara H.

MJo
11-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Do you have an AccounTemps agency near you or another Temp agency for accountants. Maybe they would give you a chance and you could work your way into a full time position. MJO

Lani
11-09-2006, 06:20 PM
This is a largely unfilled niche--by now you have some expertise from reviewing your own bills

Not as nice as having a deep pockets employer with insurance and disability coverage and paid holidays and the like, but it might end up being a "growth industry", personally fulfilling, and provide the flexibility you need.

I read an article in the Wall St. Journal not that long ago about people who audit patients doctors bills and argue them with the insurance companies (via correspondence) charging a nice hourly fee.

Let me know if you take this up- Perhaps Cynthia (attorney from Washington
DC area I seem to remember, who has contributed to this site area who was looking for a way to direct her legal talents and energies would be interested as well, writing letters and standing up for the patients)

People with cancer truly shouldn't spend their time and emotional energy
trying to decipher the mounds of paperwork and arguing with their insurance companies. Your work would be truly appreciated and from what I understood from the WSJ article you save the patients much more money than they pay you, so everyone might end up happy except the insurance companies!

Just a thought!

Soccermom
11-09-2006, 06:59 PM
BRILLIANT idea Lani!

Warmly, marcia

Monica
11-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Maria,
I have given this issue a lot of thought. I have been a part-time consultant the last few years, and one of the things I have learned, the less information you give, the better. I have been very open about my cancer with friends, but I am different when it comes to employers. I have come to realize that people are terrified of cancer and have a lot of unconscious fears and unfounded concerns. A couple of suggestions - many companies are very flexible about employees taking extra time for their special needs - e.g. taking kids to day care, doctor appointments. As long as you make it up, you are fine. Ask about that. Second, I would not tell them you have cancer. If you feel you need to say something, you may say every three weeks you have some ongoing medical treatment, but nothing that would affect your work in any way. Cancer treatment won't even cross their mind. At some point they may find out, but you haven't deceived them in any way, and they have a great employee.

Best,
Monica

StephN
11-10-2006, 01:48 PM
I will weigh in with my step-daughter's 2 cents worth. She is an executive assistant for the Seattle branch of a large company.
There have been a number of women in their 30's, 40's and 50's where she works who have been diagnosed with breast cancer. They have some sick and other leave they use, and are also permitted to cut back to 4 days a week for a while during the worst of their chemo.
It seems if a woman is in good health to begin with, they are able to manage to hang on to their job with some cooperation from the other employees.
Maybe it is different for some HER2 types and stage IV.

If I were recovered from adjuvent treatment and had my hair looking normal enough, I would tell a prospective new employer as little as possible. However, there are so many cancer survivors of all kinds out in the workplace that the subject is bound to come up sooner or later.

Just remember how blown away people can be when they find out that we have cancer. People could not pick us out from the rest of the population unless we show a hairless head. It is our spirit and love of life that shines through. Shine ON!