PDA

View Full Version : Hot Flash question.........................

Mary Jo
10-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Hello everyone,

Just a question and an explanation from anyone who knows..................................

I started chemo Aug. 24, 2005 ........I'm not sure when it started exactly but during chemo I started with the MAJOR hot flashes. Like every 20 min. 24 hours a day and I'm not kidding. It was hell really. My Wisconsin winter of 2005 was a warm one for this girl. Hehe! Anyway, chemo ended Nov. 30th of 2005 and radiation began in Dec. and finished up in February. Sometime a few months after that all my hot flashes have stopped. Completely. My question is this. Did I go through instant menopause because of the chemo? Has my body just adjusted or are my ovaries working again.

My oncologist did check my er/pr status for a 3rd time when my chemo ended just to be absolutely positive that I was er/pr neg. (which I was/am) so even if they are working again it is alright. I had my uterus and cervix removed 9 years ago because of fibroids so I wouldn't know by having a period or not.

Thanks for your help.

Hugs to all .........

Mary Jo

suzan w
10-22-2006, 10:17 AM
don't know the answer for you but I also started to get hot flashes-frequent-during chemo (A/C) and still have them...alot. I am 56 years old-menopausal and taking Arimidex-and just finished my year of herceptin. All my treatments have hot flashes as a side effect. Funny thing, when I went through menopause (way before cancer) I never had a single hot flash...go figure!

Merridith
10-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Hi Marejo:

Sooooooo.............you're not enjoying those short private visits to the tropics? (I feel like I've got a membership at Club Med!)

You can find out definatively if you are in menopause (but with no hot flashes) by having your blood drawn and tested for certain hormone levels. They can tell if you are peri-menopausal, in full blown menopause or somewhere in between.

A very significant amount of female hormones come from your ovaries. If these were not removed, and you are young enough they could have gotten over the shock of chemo and started functioning again - you could have become pre-menopausal again. This is important to know as because even if you are ER negative the standard protocol is to take homone suppressing pills such as tamoxifin (although tamoxifin might not be as useful as if you are ER+ - you will have to weigh the benefits of this with your doctor.)

But hopefully your body has just gotten used to the hormone change and has given up torturing you with those awfull flashes.

mts
10-23-2006, 08:16 AM
I developed hot flashes within a few days of my first chemo (12/04). I was 41 at the time. I have had the hormone levels checked and I am still in between peri and the real deal. My period came back only once about 6 months ago. I did not know whether to be excited or afraid... I have not had it return since. I am on Tamoxifen for ER+ 15%. Sounds like a little, but it may provide more benefit than harm. I am also on Effexor- 1/2 the usual dose - and I have not had a hot flash since I began taking it in Feb '05. I am now 43.

Maria (MTS)

bmuenks
10-28-2006, 07:02 PM
I was post-hysterectomy, no ovaries when I was diagnosed. I had been on hormones for several years and had very few hot flashes. They immediately took me off hormones and started me on chemo. The hot flashes were really bad and continued after chemo and during herceptin. The onc put me on effexor about 4 months ago. It has really helped. I sleep very well now with only an occassional hot flash. BERTA

MJo
10-29-2006, 08:20 AM
I was several years post menopause when I started chemo. I got hot flashes immediately with the A/C. They continued through Taxol, radiation and starting arimidex. I called the experience Menopause II. Fortunately, they weren't bad enough to interfere with sleep or my daily routine. Only made me uncomfortable. Interestingly, now that I'm only on herceptin and arimidex, I get fewer flashes. Maybe all my estrogen is gone.