PDA

View Full Version : compression sleeve

sarah
10-20-2006, 06:34 AM
Hi
question. I will be moving shortly and therefore will be lifting heavy stuff, painting and cleaning etc.... My right arm is at present fairly normal (slightly more swollen, younger! than the left) and I wonder to protect it should I wear a compression sleeve and if so, can I get one off the shelf or is it a special order only?
thanks
sarah

rinaina
10-20-2006, 06:46 AM
I would definitely wear a compression sleeve and you should be measured first and then they will tell you which size is appropriate. Wear mine when flying as well as with heavy lifting.

Lolly
10-20-2006, 07:20 AM
I second that! You should also be careful not to wear watches, rings, or any garment with cuffs while moving and lifting, as these can impede lymph flow and worsen your existing condition. BE CAREFUL about the lifting, and try not to balance heavy things against your arms or wrists as you carry them. Ideally, you shouldn't lify anything heavier than a gallon of milk, but we all know that in reality we can't always go by the book, so just be careful not to overdo things if you can!

<3 Lolly

sarah
10-20-2006, 07:59 AM
thanks for the replies and advice. yes, impossible when moving not to carry heavy stuff!
so I must be measured for a sleeve? How long about does it take to get one?
thanks
sarah

rinaina
10-20-2006, 08:12 AM
I was measured and received it the same day right away. I checked with my insurance first to make sure to go somewhere they would cover the cost and it was a medical supply place not far from my home. Good luck with your move and if you have any other questions feel free to email me.

koolbreeze
10-20-2006, 04:57 PM
My insurance covered my sleeve. I went to a Medical Supply place and they measured me and determined that I could fit in a standard size. No problem at all. All the best. Kool

tousled1
10-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Sarah,

You should be measured for a sleeve and also your oncologist should let them know how much compression she wants on the arm. I got measured and had my sleeve within a week. I'm supposed to wear it everyday but I must admit that I forget sometimes. I notice the difference on those forgetfull days too! Good luck with the move and trouble or no trouble with the arm you shouldn't be lifting anything heavy.

sarah
10-21-2006, 03:43 AM
great I see an oncologist soon and I'll ask her. must start making up that list of questions!
sarah