PDA

View Full Version : updated statistics on how many her2+ tumors are ER+PR+, ER+PR-, ER-PR+ and ER-PR-

Lani
10-02-2006, 03:44 PM
When I first starting reading the literature, the statistic repeated over and over was that only 10% of her2+ patients who were 3+ by IHC or + by FISH were ER+PR+ and no other combinations other than ER-PR- were mentioned.

Now that her2 testing is more widespread (and HOPEFULLY better performed) more statistics should come out. Here are some interesting ones!

Pathology. 2006 Oct;38(5):391-8. Links
Evaluation of oestrogen and progesterone receptor status in HER-2 positive breast carcinomas and correlation with outcome.

Francis G,
Beadle G,
Thomas S,
Mengersen K,
Stein S.
Princess Alexandra Hospital, Queensland Health Pathology Service, Woolloongabba.
Aim: HER-2/neu amplification occurs in 15-25% of breast carcinomas. This oncogene, also referred to as c-erbB-2, encodes a transmembrane tyrosine kinase receptor belonging to the epidermal growth factor receptor family. HER-2 over-expression is reported to be associated with a poor prognosis in breast carcinoma patients and in some studies is associated with a poorer response to anti-oestrogen therapy. These patients are less likely to benefit from CMF (cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, fluorouracil)-based chemotherapy compared with anthracycline-based chemotherapy. The aim of this study was to evaluate breast carcinomas to determine hormone receptor status and if there is a difference in breast cancer specific survival for HER-2 positive patients.Methods: A total of 591 breast carcinomas were evaluated using immunohistochemistry (IHC) for oestrogen receptor (ERp), progesterone receptor (PRp) and three different HER-2 antibodies (CB11, A0485 and TAB250). Percentage of tumour cells and intensity of staining for ERp were evaluated using a semiquantitative method.Results: Of the 591 tumours, 91 (15.4%) showed 3+ membrane staining for HER-2 with one or more antibodies. Of these 91 tumours, 41 (45.1%) were ERp+/PRp+, seven (7.7%) were ERp+/PR-, six (6.6%) were ERp-/PRp+ and 37 (40.7%) were ERp-/PR-. Of HER-2 positive tumours, 5.5% showed >80% 3+ staining for ERp compared with 31.8% of 0-2+ HER-2 tumours; 24.2% of HER-2-positive tumours showed 60% or more cells with 2+ or 3+ staining for ERp. Treatment data were available for 209 patients and no difference was observed in breast cancer specific survival (BCSS) with HER-2 status and tamoxifen.Conclusion: Oestrogen receptor status cannot be used to select tumours for evaluation of HER-2 status, and oestrogen and progesterone receptor positivity does not preclude a positive HER-2 status. There is a higher proportion of ERp negative tumours associated with HER-2 positivity, however, more than 20% of HER-2 positive tumours show moderate or strong staining for ERp. HER-2 positive patients in this study did not show an adverse BCSS with tamoxifen treatment unlike some previous studies.
PMID: 17008275 [PubMed - in process]

Bev
10-02-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm a little confused as usual. Early on in the abstact they say Triple pos made up 45% and HR neg 41%. At the end they say 20% are ER+ and the majority are HR-. I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious. BB

Becky
10-03-2006, 05:41 AM
45% are ER+PR+ and 7.7% are only ER+ - this means alittle over half of Her2+ bc is ER+. Of all Her2+ bc, 20% is strongly ER+. This means that about half of those that are ER+ are strongly positive.

This is how I read it.

Becky

CherylS
10-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks again Becky. Your help is, as always appreciated. My capacity for this stuff is so small, I'm just wondering where in the heck Woolloongabba is????

Lani
10-03-2006, 04:29 PM
sounds like an aboriginal name

Just speculating, but Queensland usually refers to some portion of the old British Empire

molly
10-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi

Wollongabba is a suburb of Brisbane which is the capitol of the state of Queensland, in Australia. Not far from where I live. Molly

CherylS
10-04-2006, 05:03 AM
Gee Molly, thanks. I'm sure glad we got that solved. One more evidence of the beauty of this world wide message board. Now we can all sleep a little better at night just knowing where Woolloongabba is.