PDA

View Full Version : Prophylactic mastectomy during herceptin

MCS
09-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Lani, Becky and others by all means http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif

I showed micro in my "good" breast that have been stable. BUT, this is how the bad breast started out back in 2004 and then I was dx in 2005 with dcis from these micros. So I'm thinking of yanking this good one out too. I'm very nervous of carrying around these micros around till they go awry.

In another thread, I have been reading that inflammation to the area could cause bc to start there- thus argument for little trauma to breast.

I would like to stay on herceptin during the recovery period of the mastectomy ( a comfort blankie!). But this would be past the one year standard treatment.

Have you heard if I could request to stay on this till recovery, especially reading the other thread on 18-24 month recurrence rate.

Please advise.

Thank you all,

MCS ( maria)

tousled1
09-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Maria,

I just saw my oncologist today and we were talking about how long should I take Herceptin. Protocol is for 1 year as we all know. My oncologist said that if any of her patients wanted to remain on Herceptin past the one year mark she had no problem with it.

MCS
09-30-2006, 03:57 AM
Hi Kate,

I want to be proactive on treatment- avoid surprises on theother brest but I also want to maitain on hercepting while my body is in recovery.

Also can the port be kept in? the portis on the side of the new mastectomy.

I hope others comment on this.

Thank you

XOXO

MCS ( maria)

ElaineRyan
09-30-2006, 04:03 AM
I opted for a second year of Herceptin. Even though my oncologist said there really isn't any proof it will make a difference. However, I had a 2nd opinion from a very highly regarded oncologist who told me to stay on it at LEAST a year. (I was ?Stage IV). I think they will let you stay on it...and i would fight them if they won't

MCS
09-30-2006, 04:15 AM
I think I will try to do so, fight for at least 6 more months, while the whole process of recovery occurs. I had to initially fight for 3 weeks instead of weekly. I have a good doc but there's a breast expert in the office so he runs everything thru her first..... this expert happens to sit on the fda board and was one of the voters for herceptin. hopefully she will support the request.

I think it's a good decision to take the other breast. Do you think the same?

thanks

MCS (maria)

bobbiw
09-30-2006, 04:19 AM
In regards to your port. Yes it can stay in during the proph mastectomy. In fact when I had mine they accessed my port to put me to sleep but then had to put an IV in my hand (after I was asleep) as the needle was in the way for the surgery-yup I am a BIG baby about needles.

Good luck to you.

Bobbi

MCS
09-30-2006, 04:34 AM
Im a big baby about needels also. I did not get a port till later- bad advice from doc. in my hospital, they don't like accessing the port for surgery. so I only have one arm and hand to get other blood out/ tests, etc... of course they use the easiest and thus my hand always is damaged

What will they use after maastectomy if both sides cannot be access due to probable node removal? the feet? I heard that hurts also. big baby, huh!

And since this is prophylactic, will they also due sentinel node measure and take other nodes to make sure there's no hidden agenda by these creepy cells?

What other test should run to make sure all is ok?

thank you

MCS ( maria)

tousled1
09-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Maria,

I had a bilateral mastectomy and they used my port for the anesthesia (spelling??). So don't worry about not being able to have the breast removed because you might loose your port. Having both my breast removed was the best decision I ever made -- no regrets.