PDA

View Full Version : news on my co-worker

juanita
09-21-2006, 12:54 PM
My co-worker's daughter came in to see us today to tell us what is going on with her mom. To me it doesn't sound very good. It is in her liver, which is so large it is filling her abdominal area. She has about twenty golf ball size spots on it. It is in her right lung, one long spot. And in her glands and lymph nodes. She is having a biopsy tomorrow to see if they can determine what kind it is and next week more tests to see if it has spread any further. She is determined to fight it at this point, and they told her that right now surgery is not an option. For those of you with liver mets, what drugs did you get? I have so much going through my head and so many questions I just don't know what to say. I guess it's back to the library to see what I can find. If it were breast cancer I've read all kinds of books on that, but this is unchartered territory for me. I printed off the dos and don'ts list and took that to work with me. The other ladies I work with really liked it. Anything any of you can tell me about any of this would be helpful to me. I'm not sharing anything with her unless she asks. Thanks!!!!

StephN
09-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Anything further on your co-worker? Sorry I missed your question earlier.

For my extensive liver mets I took Navelbine and Taxol, along with Herceptin, which were given weekly for 6 months until I reached NED. This was not the outcome for others on the same drugs in my trial, but others here have used Navelbine with Xeloda for good results as well.

Colleen007
09-28-2006, 01:39 PM
I rec'd Taxol along with the Herceptin for my liver mets from 12/2/05 - 6/29/06. Had my first PET scan last week which showed "no activity" in the liver (in other words, the cancer that had spread to the liver is gone). Unfortunately, other small spots were visible on the PET, so I'll be starting on Navelbine next week to try to get rid of those last bits of cancer in my body.

chrisy
09-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Juanita,

I remember from your earlier post that you did not know the 'source' of the liver tumors - if it was mets from breast cancer or somewhere else, or if it was liver cancer. The difference of course being that if it was mets from breast cancer, it would be breast cancer cells in the liver.

I had extensive liver mets and was treated with taxol/carboplatin/herceptin. All 3 weekly for 3 weeks then 1 week herceptin only, for 6 cycles. Since then herceptin only. This combo was very effective in shrinking the tumors, to "almost ned".

My thoughts are with you and your friend. I know this must be a very scary time.

Vanessa
09-28-2006, 09:34 PM
I had liver mets and my doctor used taxotere, carboplatin and herceptin. About halfway through I had a severe allergic reaction to the carboplatin and had to continue on without it. After 3 months of chemo, my scans were clear. I want to knock on wood, because it seems too good to be true. But obviously, that combination worked for me. My doctor said it is the herceptin.

Tom
09-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Dear Juanita,

I read back through your other posts, as I seemed to recall that your friend's cancer was not of the breast, but rather a primary liver malignancy.

There is much being done these days towards treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma. In my area, near Philadelphia, the University of Penn always seems to be publishing new research on treatment for the disease.

Below are a few links to data on successful "mechanical" therapies (direct destruction of the tumors, rather than chemotherapy or XRT) for HCC. They include laser ablation, cryoablation, and radiofrequency ablation. Current research and close consultation with her oncologist would help identify the best approach for your friend's particular situation. I pray that you may find some answers. Please keep us informed.

Sincerely,
Tom

http://www.oncolink.com/resources/article.cfm?c=3&s=8&ss=23&id=9014&month=11&year=2002

http://www.oncolink.com/resources/article.cfm?c=3&s=8&ss=23&id=10586&month=03&year=2004

http://www.oncolink.com/resources/article.cfm?c=3&s=8&ss=23&id=11304&month=11&year=2004

juanita
09-30-2006, 10:01 AM
I do know it did not start as bc. But they are not sure if the cancer started in the liver or lung and caused mets or if it's two seperate things (she is a heavy smoker) or what at this time because they can't biopsy her liver yet because of it's size. the doc is afraid it will bleed too much. They did biopsy the lymph node and when she saw her onc on Monday the results weren't in yet. She does start chemo in two days, didn't know the drugs being used yet. She had a brain scan last week and the tech, and he was just the tech, told her he didn't see anything there. No results of the bone scan yet. Her daughter is a nurse so she has a very good advocate in her corner. I will find out more on Monday when we take her dinner.

tousled1
09-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Could it be that your co-worker has some form of lymphoma?