PDA

View Full Version : Only8 months into herceptin and my tumor marker has jumped

alicecallahan
09-15-2006, 07:31 AM
I had neoadjuvant A/C and 4X taxotere, right mastectomy,in feb, have been NED and on Herceptin since Jan, asked my doctor to do a tumor marker (CA-27-29) which was 32 before and it came back at 42. Having some scans done in the next 10 days, and totally depressed. A good friend with similar treatment protocol had liver met occur after having been off Herceptin for only 4 months, which is what prompted me to ask the doctor to check....Has anyone ever had a tumor marker go up that has NOT been an indication of metastasis ???
I am prepared for the worst, but hoping there is a possibility this is maybe just a fluke.....

Becky
09-15-2006, 07:46 AM
And it very well can be a fluke. These things change and it is only a small jump. I am also assuming that you haven't had the test before (only these 2 times) so you really don't know if you had them monthly all along your results might have been chaotic (lets say: 33, 44, 29, 32 and now 42) so this reading may be part of a chaotic pattern that has a 10-12 point range at any time.

Its not like you had the 32 and now it is 140. You are getting scans and that will bring you some peace of mind but this could very well be nothing at all.

Try to breathe easy and have a nice weekend. I will be thinking of you.

Kindest regards

Becky