PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference?????????

Mary Jo
09-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Hi everyone,

Boy, I love this board. Such a nice place to come and ask a question ..... read about others............. what we have in common etc. You're all a blessing!!!!!!!!!! Ok........now my question.

I read that some of you do weekly herceptin treatments. I have always had mine every 3 weeks. (2 more to go - YIPPEE) I'm assuming the dose of the drug is the same - just divided up into 3 weeks. Is that right? I just wonder why some oncologists choose the every week route vs. some doing the every 3 week route.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Mary Jo

RhondaH
09-12-2006, 08:43 AM
but, what has been done shows there is no difference as to the effectiveness (though you will find discussions on this also on the board). TO ME, the main difference is convenience. I did every 3 though at one point my liver levels were rising so to see if it was the Herceptin, they switched it to every week (and this was it), but I asked to go back to every 3 as I wanted "normal" moreso. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Cathya
09-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Mary Jo;

I used to take herceptin every three weeks but had to discontinue due to low muga score. Once my heart was back within the normal range (around 50) my onc restarted me on herceptin but decided the safer way to go was doing it weekly. This is where I am now on the lower weekly dose. Yes, it is a great site and I have certainly learned a lot here. Take care.

Cathy

tousled1
09-12-2006, 10:54 AM
The original protocol with the clinical trials was every week. I tried the 3 week but couldn't handle it so it will be weekly for me. I'm sure you get the same dosage either way - a week's dose or a 3 weke dose. I know that there are many on this board who do the 3 week.

panicked911
09-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Thee is o difference except during radiation treatments - radio oncologist - insisted and three oncs agreed that during eh six weeks of rads weekly was the way to go - they also start on weekly to see how your body tolerates it - side effects different for all- was weekly Thanksgiving thru the ed of rads and three weeks beyond - started every three weeks ed of april - joint and muscle problem increased along with memory issues and noticable ADD. Still will not trade back to the weekly - the inconvenince is intollerable - three more to go - last treatment the day before my 45th b'day on NOv. 1 - YIPEE then I am told that it takes three moths for it to toally leave the body - should begin to feel better come Jan 1.
hope this helps,
Susanne

karenann
09-12-2006, 05:27 PM
I had Herceptin every three weeks.

Karen

Becky
09-12-2006, 05:52 PM
In the adjuvant Herceptin trials that took place in the USA and Canada, giving Herceptin every week was employed. In Europe for the Hera trial, Herceptin was given every 3 weeks (triple dose). So, there is a lot of data showing that both regimes work well and both regimes are equally effective. A large dose, all at once, might affect the heart of someone who is more susceptable but in general, each regime gives the same good results.

Kindest regards

Becky

PS - my first 14 treatments were weekly then I changed to the every 3 week regime so I had more freedom from the treatment center.

koolbreeze
09-13-2006, 04:38 AM
My onc gave me a choice. I chose every 3 weeks just for the convience of it.

Bev
09-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Hi, After weekly with Taxol, I've been on Herceptin once every 3 weeks, even during rads. I've been fine but there are others than didn't tolerate the larger dose as well. Good luck. BB