PDA

View Full Version : Are you like me; was your first original diagnosis as Stage 4?

Lala
09-09-2006, 03:38 PM
‘Was your first original diagnosis as Stage 4?’

That question has always lingered in my mind. How many others are there like me? I was diagnosed Stage 4 with bone and liver mets at the age of 40.
I am currently on chemo and thankfully the mets are shrinking.

I just celebrated my 1st year anniversary of hearing the words you have cancer.
Every morning I take a moment to myself. I think of all of the positives in my life, I have loving family and friends, dedicated doctors, and most of all faith.
Having participated in clinical trials, I think of all the dedicated people behind the scenes. And all of this keeps me going. I have hope that I can beat the odds.
This is not an easy road but it is worth every footstep..

Hugs

lexigirl
09-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi Lala,

I wasn't diagnosed stage IV, but IIIB IBC. Very scary diagnosis! I have just had my one year anniversary, also. Your post is very encouraging and I am happy that you are doing so well. Stay strong and keep the faith.

Lexi

tousled1
09-09-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm not stage IV but close to it. I too will reaching my one year since diagnosis very soon.

Sherryg683
09-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Yes, I was Stage IV, with 2 small lung lesions. Am currently in remission. My year anniversary will be December 1...sherryg683

Vanessa
09-09-2006, 07:27 PM
I was originally diagnosed as Stage III, until I had my first petscan. This was after my surgery and before I started chemo. After the petscan, I was found to have mets to the liver and chest wall. It has been 3 months since I started chemo and herceptin. I will have a follow-up catscan next Tuesday and a follow-up petscan next Thursday.

dede10
09-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Dx'd stage 4 w/mets to liver 3/03....

madubois63
09-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Lala - I was diagnosed at Stage IV 6 1/2 years ago. After 4 1/2 years of remission, I had a relapse 2 years ago and then developed acute myeloid leukemia 4 months ago. I am currently in remission from everything and hanging in there. This road has not been easy, but it has been worth it. Hold on to what matters most and don't let go!!!

Shell
09-11-2006, 04:54 AM
Lala-

I was diagnosed as stage IIIC 3 1/2 years ago, and stage 4 2 years later. I sincerely hope you continue to respond with your treatments!!

Regards,
Shell

MJo
09-11-2006, 05:13 AM
I have a question for those diagnosed at Stage IV. Did you ha ve an annual mammogram? I know Her2 is aggressive, but is it so aggressive that you can go from a clear mammogram to Stage IV in one year. Thank God I was diagnosed at Stage I, but I was planning to skip my annual mammogram because I was so busy. My boss was diagnosed with BC, I ran to get a mammogram and they found my tumor. I have no doubt that if I had skipped the mammo I would have been diagnosed at a higher stage. But can Stage IV develop between a clear mammogram and the next year's mammogram?

Lala
09-11-2006, 03:29 PM
MJo,
My personal experience is unique. I have to answer you question with a little more of my background story.

In response to your question; I started having mammograms at the age of 35 to be proactive. I continued at age 37 and at the age of 40 a lump was found. The size of the lump was just under 2cm.

I was told I was Stage 1 and I planned to have a lumpectomy. On the day I met my surgeon, I asked for a last minute PET scan. The PET scan was completed and the results revealed metastases to my bones. Additional tests confirmed the liver metastases. The PET scan enabled me to have the proper diagnosis.

I have no idea how long the time span was between mammograms in which my metastases grew. I can say that I strongly advocate the use of PET Scans as part of the diagnostic tools to properly diagnose all Stages of Her2+.

Lisa1962
09-13-2006, 11:38 AM
My initial diagnosis was Stage IV - I found the lump in November of 1004 - and so far I am still NED

I had a clean mammogram in March of 2004 - in that small space of time my tumor grew large enough to feel - and to send little bits of itself to set up home in my spine and liver

Edie L
09-14-2006, 08:04 PM
I was diagnosed at Stage 4 (mets to liver) in December, 2003. I have been on chemo/herceptin ever since - Taxotere/Herceptin until May, 2004, and Navelbine/Herceptin from then until now. The liver mets have remained stable during that time, and my quality of life has been very good. My second-opinion oncologist (Karmonos, Detroit, an NCI hospital/research center), said that the breast tumors would not have been seen on a routine mammogram because they
were tiny calcifications....
Edie L

janetcaruso
09-17-2006, 12:04 AM
I was also dx'd Stage IV with mets to liver & bones April/05. I had a mammogram in /03 & was told every other year would be sufficient so was due to have one when I found the lump. Completed 8 rounds Taxotere with Herceptin in Oct/05 - approaching 1 yr on Tamoxifen and Herceptin - recent scans show no evidence of progression. Janet

Mary Jo
09-17-2006, 04:32 AM
Hello,

I was diagnosed stage 2, one year and 3 months ago. From reading some of your posts I am thankful that the doctor I originally saw (not the one I currently see) orders a PET scan before preceeding with treatment. Thankfully my PET was clean (minus the right breast). This doctor also believed in having an MRI of both breasts to see if possibly anything else was lurking. Nothing on that either - other than right breast cancer.

I was 45 at diagnosis.

God Bless everyone,
Mary Jo

DEBBIE S
09-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Hi ...... I Was Given The News Of Stage 4 In Oct 2004 .... Her +++.. Mets Spread To Liver .... Started On Chemo & Herceptin Nov 2004 ... Chemo Was, Carboplatin & Taxol ... Did 6 Rounds Every 3 Weeks .... Pet Scan Showed No Sign Of Cancer At End Of March 05 .... Stopped Chemo And Stayed On Herceptin Every 3 Weeks ... Within Two Months I Found Another Mass In Same Breast By Self Exam ... ( My Masses Were Always Large And Close To The Surface So They Were Easy To Find) .. The Problem Was They Grow So Quickly ... Had Another Pet Scan And Told The Cancer Was Back ... This Time I Also Asked To Have A Masectomy And Get Rid Of This Breast .... Started Checmo Again In June 05 .. Added Navelbiene With Herceptin.... Had My Surgery In Jul 05 .... Did This Regement Every Other Week Till Dec 05 And Then Went To Every 3 Weeks .... Have Been On This Regiment Till Now ..... Have Had Several Scans And All Have Been Clean .. ( Praise The Lord ) .... I Am Going To Ask My Dr This Month If I Can Stop The Chemo For A While And Just Stay On Herceptin .... Navelbiene Is A Milder Chemo Drug But After This Length Of Time It Wears On Me ... I Work Full Time So I Am In Need Of A Break .... I Know Of Others At My Oncology Group That Have Been On Herceptin For Years .... As Long As It Works They Usually Keep You On It ....
So Keep Positive And Know You Body And Don't Be Afraid To See What Other Chemo Drugs Are Available To Try ....

Take Care,
Debbie S

Lee
09-17-2006, 03:09 PM
My docs initially thought I was stage II (I had 4/22 nodes positive) but the PET and CT scans I had before beginning treatment showed mets to the liver and pelvis. I was initially diagnosed 9/05 and stage IV confirmed 10/05. I was on a regimen of Carbo/Taxol/Herceptin for 6 months, and am currently cancer free.

I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary of being diagnosed, and thankful that things seem to be OK so far. I'm only on herceptin right now (every 3 wks) and hoping that it keeps things in check for a *very* long time.