PDA

View Full Version : Cramps in Lower Back & Ovaries

SusanV
09-08-2006, 07:25 AM
Hey Everyone,

Two days after my first chemo, I started feeling a lot better. BUT at 6:00pm I started having really bad cramps...I called the "on call" Nurse who said this was a symptom that she had not heard before. By midnight I decided EXACTLY what all the cramps felt like. Labor pains...extreme low back cramps and what felt like menstrual cramps. My period is not due, and I am definatley not pregnant. Just had my period on 8/24.

She said it was possible that my ovaries were shutting down, or that the chemo was going to bring on the next period much sooner than it was due. Anyone else by chance have this experience?

I took advil for the pain, and today only my back is still hurting, but not as bad. The nurse said if it did not improve to go to the ER, but I just wasn't up to it..

LOVE TO ALL

lexigirl
09-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Dear Susan,

I also had the cramps and what felt like pain in my ovaries. It started when I was on my taxol tx. I assumed it was my poor ovaries shrinking up. It is really nerve racking all the aches and pains. I hope the cramps will let up and you will have a good weekend.

Hugs,
Lexi

Becky
09-08-2006, 08:36 AM
After my first AC, I had cramps really bad - just like you. I got my period about 2 days afterwards (a week early and it lasted 2 days longer). My next period was right on time but last 3 weeks and I bled a river. That was my last one though until 7 months after chemo ended.

These drugs are used for ovarian cancer too so they affect the ovaries (taxanes even more) so it is not unusual symptoms. It may be that the nurses aren't as aware of cramping because most women with bc are postmenopausal.

Hang in there. Ask if you can take something (Tylenol etc). Did you get Neulasta? There is bone pain involved with that and that along with pelvic cramping was unbearable for me. Took alot of tylenol.

Big hug to you

Becky

SusanV
09-08-2006, 03:46 PM
I cannot begin to thank you enough for your posts regarding my symptoms. When the on call nurse last evening and the nurse today at the Hospital both assured me that they had never heard of these symtpoms before as a result from chemo therapy. I took great comfort in not feeling alone after your responses. A nurse practitioner did call me back today and say that she has in fact run into this often with pre-meno women, and that I will probably have a very uncerain 3-4 months of when I will get a period accompanied by horrible cramps. Still taking Advil with a heating pad on my back...

I was soo hoping to be feeling better today... I can never thank you guys enough for your knowledge, experience and insight that I am sure will help see me through all of this.

LOVE TO ALL

Bev
09-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Hi Susan,

Now and then I get mildly crampy. I mentioned it and get blank stares. Still didn't have a period since chemo. I think our bodies want to go back to doing business as usual, and in my case I'm hoping it doesn't. B