PDA

View Full Version : New Treatment Plan

Lolly
08-29-2006, 09:04 PM
My onc surprised me at my last visit 2 weeks ago by asking/confirming that I'd ever had radiation to the right axilla area, which we've been treating systemically with chemo/Herceptin for over a year now, with moderate success as the darn things keep "flaring" up. Since I've only had radiation to the left axilla, site of the primary bc, he thinks we should see if we can't clear the right nodes up with a course of rads. "Thinking outside the box" is how he phrased it, and I must say I'm excited after meeting with my rads onc last week. He's confident we can get this problem area cleaned up which will translate into a chemo break for me, hopefully a LOOOOONG one!

Had simulation yesterday, and will start a 5 week course in a couple of weeks. One small hitch, my port is on the right side, and if they don't think they can work around it I'll have to have one placed elsewhere, probably in my right arm. I'll ask my nurses this week about a pediatric port as I know they're smaller.

Will keep you posted.

<3 Lolly

sherri
08-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Dear Lolly,

I think this is a great idea, with Herceptin and rad you can become NED. I send all positive thoughts your way and wish for the best for you.

Love and hug,

tricia keegan
08-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Hi Lolly

I had radiation to this area too on my right side which was also the side of my port but it caused no problems at all and the rad onc was quite happy to give me the treatment with the port there.Good luck with the treatments and I hope it works for you.
Tricia

Cathya
08-30-2006, 05:24 AM
Lolly;

How very exciting. Please do keep us informed of the results. I thought that you had mets to the clavicular area not the nodes on your other side in the armpit (sorry to sound simple but it's the only way I can be sure I'm correct as I keep mixing up "axilla" ....lol).

Best regards,

Cathy

Sandy H
08-30-2006, 06:54 AM
Lolly, does this mean you will have to be careful about lymphedema in both arms? Hope this works for you. If they suggested radiation for me I would be paranoid!! For some reason I am scared to death with radiation. I had 5 treatments and they stopped them because it made my skin mets take off like wild fire. I was so happy as I never wanted to go in that radiation room. I kept thinking of it as lightening striking me with those beams coming at me. Wishing you well, and keep us updated. hugs, Sandy

tousled1
08-30-2006, 07:00 AM
Lolly,

Here's hoping that the radiation will take care of your node problem.

heblaj01
08-30-2006, 08:30 AM
Lolly,
I don't know if the following could apply to your case as the circumstances are different.
Based on mice experimental results showing lymph nodes successfully treated with omega-3 fish oil an elderly lady in in my family took 6 to 8g a day of fish oil pills(a daily total of 2400-3200mg EPA, 1600-1600mg DHA) for about 6 to 8 weeks while in an off period from anti estrogen treatment.
The three axillary nodes in one armpit (whose largest was 1.5 to 2cm) were reduced to less than 0,5cm as measured by ultrasound imaging. A PET/CT scan several months later did not detect any malignancy.
Since there was no PET/CT scan done before taking the oil pills there is still the possibility that the nodes were never malignant, just swollen. However her onc originally considered them metastatic based on palpation checks.

lexigirl
08-30-2006, 08:35 AM
Lolly,

I am excited for you! This may just be what will get rid of those mets for good.

Hugs,
Lexi

Sheila
08-30-2006, 08:59 AM
Lolly
Keep me posted as you know I am following in your footsteps with these @#$% nodes! I have often wondered about radiation to the area....hoe it is successful!

Joy
08-30-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm so excited you have a new plan. It is time to just nail those cells. let us know!

Sending you thoughts of success,
Joy

StephN
08-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Dear Lolly -
So glad someone is trying to be thoughtful and creative as you have been muddling around with those same nodes for SO long!

I could not help but think of Lyn and her node radiation. Hers was to the side of her neck if I recall, but she had some difficulty afterwards in that area.

As Sandy points out, radiation can be tricky, but the main thing there is that we have confidence in our team and their ability to get the dose and beam angles right. I was lucky and did not burn, which puzzled some people as I am fair skinned. If your skin is healthy and you use a lot of good moisturizing and aloe vera, all should be well.
You might want to drink detox-type teas during the radiation. I did and perhaps this helped.

Lolly
08-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the positive thoughts gals, I appreciate the advice. I'm in a rush to get to Herceptin treatment this morning, so will have to answer your questions this eve.

<3 Lolly

Esther
08-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Sandy, if you have access to a sauna or jacuzzi, it helps to use it during that time as well. Make sure you ask for meds for nausea, just in case you experience any, it's good to catch it right away.