PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin dosing & Rads?

Chelee
07-15-2006, 12:00 AM
I was reading another persons post here and got concerned...but didn't want to take their topic in a different direction.

But if I decide to do Rads soon...I decided to change my weekly herceptin to every three weeks thinking it would be easier on me.

The other person on this board said their oncologist would NOT let them do the 3 week dose when they were doing rads....they had to do it weekly. That got me to thinking maybe that is a real concern since we know rads can affect the heart...and so can herceptin. Maybe this is NOT a good time for me to go to the 3 week dose of herceptin? Maybe I should stick to weekly while doing rads?

Have any of you heard its better to do your herceptin *weekly* while doing the rads to reduce side affects?

Chelee

tousled1
07-15-2006, 04:37 AM
Chelee,

I think it's an individual decision - every 3 weeks or every week Herceptin. I myself tried every 3 weeks and now am every week. I start radiation July 24 and fortunately where I get my radiation is right next door to my oncologist's office. I know it's going to be a drain going every week but so will going every day for rads. After I finish rads I think I may try the every 3 week cycle for Herceptin again. Good luck to you in making your decisions.

Kimberly Lewis
07-15-2006, 05:13 AM
there really was no discussion of the difference. I have no regrets about the radiation - it seemed one of the easiest treatments I recieved. I am 3a er,pr+ and her2+ lobular invasive 5.3cm tumor 7 nodes. The only discussion was if it was better to do herceptin with the rads or not. There was one obscure article claiming that it was better together, but that was all I found. My muga was fine during the rads and months later did drop. But after reading about CoQ10 here I took it and raised my muga 8 points. I am walking regularly and hoping to see it even higher next muga. Hope you do well also!

Chelee
07-15-2006, 04:22 PM
After reading another thread about weekly herceptin verses 3 wk dose...I am starting to think I should of never called to request every 3 weeks. As one person said on the other thread...during radiation I will be down there every day anyway...so its not going to make much difference.

My radiation dept is down stairs, and infusion upstairs. Takes a second to get to the infusion room. All the same building. Plus is does seem the more I read that more oncologist are FOR the weekly. I think I better stay with the weekly...less chance of side affects...and since I will be doing Rads...might be easier on my body.

I was just thinking it would be one less thing to do. I have done well on weekly,..I best leave well enough alone.

Thanks you guys for your thoughts. :)

Chelee

whatsup
07-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Chelee:

A recent study came out: Rads with herceptin do NOT cause any further probs to the heart. So, I think you can do what you want. The real question is: the weekly versus 3 week dose to herceptin. That's the question.

- Kim

Becky
07-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Is your cancer on the left or the right? I really don't think the Herceptin dosing schedule is a big deal at all (1 wk versus 3 wks). But the comment on the rads and the heart makes some logical sense (although I have heard many times it doesn't matter at all and I started my first 15 as weeklies and switched but took everything separate (ie: surgery then chemo then rads then Herceptin).

Comment on left or right side - heart is on the left and depending on radiation field, could affect the heart if you need rads on the left (therefore, may want to play Herceptin safer by weeklies (if this is even true)). If on right, pick your timing.

Have a nice weekend.

Becky

Chelee
07-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Whatsup, Your right...the REAL question is the weekly verses every 3 weeks? I keep hearing weekly is better. It does seem like you are keeping a more balanced amount of the drug in you doing it weekly. I know I have stayed on the weekly for that reason alone. I think I will write the makers of herceptin and see what they can email me on this like someone else had mentioned.

Chelee

Chelee
07-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi Becky, I would be having the *right* side radiated. So your right...the left side would be more worrisome. I have given it alot of thought since posting and I think I will leave well enough alone and stay with the weekly since I HAVE to be down there anyway for Rads. Herceptin makes me so darned tired the first two days...not sure how bad that would get with a three week dose on top of my rads.

I did write to the makers of herceptin in hopes they will send me some information on the weekly, verses 3 week dose?

Thanks much Becky!

Chelee

Unregistered
07-19-2006, 09:21 AM
According to plan I was going to start herceptin every 3 weeks after taking it weekly from feb with weekly taxotere because of liver mets.
When dx with brain mets in june I was scheduled to 10 rads. My doctor said that we would continue herceptin weekly while on rads and 3 weeks after while rads are still doing their job. He said that reaserches indicate that rads give herceptin a push activity and activates it much further.

By the way the liver is NED (two Cat scanners). In august Brain mets will be checked. doing fine.

best regards

Jóhanna

Bev
07-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Herceptin every 3 weeks and on the left during rads. Rads ended in April. So far so good. BB

glbatan
07-20-2006, 01:45 PM
I get my herceptin every week since 2004 and doing well. I'm going on vacation next week and will miss one week. My doctor will give me a double dose tomorrow (Friday) in which this will make up for next week. I feel a little nervous about this....is this okay? Also has anyone had any reaction with double dose of herceptin?

Bev
07-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Hi G,

Everyone on the once per 3 week gets a higher dose. No problems at all for me. Today I was switched to 30 min from 90 min infusion and no problem as well. So if you're tolerating H well so far, I would expect that will continue. BB