PDA

View Full Version : I have a Question about Kyphoplasty and Vertebroplasty for Bone Mets

Lala
07-14-2006, 10:01 AM
I am wondering if anyone has had a Kyphoplasty or Vertebroplasty procedure to stabilize their bones. I am very interested in knowing more about your experience. I am considering the possibilities for myself.

An MRI of my Thoracic Bones has revealed that I have a compression fracture in one of my vertebral bones. My oncologist has recommended that I consider having something done to stabilize this bone. I am in the process of scheduling a consult with an Orthopaedic Oncologist. I can imagine that I will of course have to have stable bone mets to even consider this possibility. I am having another MRI in a few weeks to present this to the Orthopaedic Oncologist for review.

I would really appreciate it if you can share your experience with me if you have done this.

Thank You in advance.

Patty H
07-15-2006, 06:08 AM
I have never heard of these treatments. I will have to check into them also. Maybe this could help with my bone mets. Please keep us posted what you found out and how it goes. Patty H

Pamela B
07-15-2006, 06:38 AM
I have heard of this procedure back in 2002 when I was in radiology at Mass gen haveing cath put in for stem cell transplant use. The student docs said if I ever needed bones patched that they had new way to do this. Luckily I have not broken a bone since 2001, which they fixed with plates and screws in my neck, but I keep that conversation in the back of my mind as I have extensive mets to bones everywhere but the legs and arms.

Lani
07-15-2006, 05:49 PM
and keep it in the new uncollapsed position with the same "bone cement" used in hip and knee replacements. The cement is mixed from a powder and a liquid and the reaction that results is "exothermic" ie, it gives off heat. It is
therefore imperative that none of the cement (has a thick glue-like consistency) from leaking out into the windows formed by the flange-like extensions of the vertebral bodies ("intervertebral windows) which contain the nerves which go out and supply the body (both sensory and motor) or into the spinal column itself where the spinal cord sits (covered by meningeal linings)

This procedure is done on very severe compression fractures from age-related or disease-related (eg. kidney disease) osteoporosis as well as on vertebral bodies which are invaded by metastatic cancer.

I am unaware of the results of radiating areas which were previously treated with this procedure (as other adjacent vertebral bodies may become involved later and radiation therapy in general(perhaps not cyberknife, but this is not routinely used for vertebral bone mets) is not pin-point--adjacent areas get considerable radiation as well.

Why don't you put vertebroplasty into Google and PubMed and see what you come up with?

Hope this helped!

Lala
07-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks for you post Lani,

Prior to posting my question, I did google and research the websites that offer information
on Kyphoplasty or Vertebroplasty.

I am looking for ‘personal experiences’ of those ladies who have had this done.

I believe it always helps to hear the experiences of others.

Best regards