PDA

View Full Version : hand cramps while on Herceptin

Julie2
07-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Last night I had severe moving pain(more like muscle cramps) in both of my hands. When I woke up the pain is gone but the had feels very weak. I am on Herceptin now. Anybody has similar experience?

thanks,
Julie

IRENE FROM TAMPA
07-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Hi Julie

How long have you been on Herceptin?

I started on it in 1999 weekly and in around 2003 I started experiencing severe leg and hand cramps. My legs got them terribly. I kept bringing it up to my onc. but they had no one with similar synthoms.

When I was taken off of Herceptin in 2005 (I was starting on Abraxane and my onc did not want me on both since Abraxane had just come out) within about 3 months my cramps/spasms were gone.

I started back up on Herceptin this year and so far have had only a few in my hands (thank goodness) so we will see.

Good luck

Unregistered
07-14-2006, 11:28 AM
I ended Herceptin on June 21st and have noticed a little less muscle cramps/pains. Why is it the oncs think we're crazy? If Herceptin affects the heart musle, the largest in the body, why would it not affect our other muscles? Sorry about the frustration but sometimes things seem like common sense & yet docs. don't seem too concerned.

Mar

Unregistered
07-14-2006, 01:32 PM
I get cramps in my rib cage. I wondered if it was from the Herceptin. Especially since the cramps come in the week after my triple dose. I reported to my onc and he wrote it on the chart. But I noticed he exchanged glances with his nurse practicioner. Maybe patients are reporting muscle cramps. MJO

Barbara
07-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Hi:

I get cramps in my feet, calves, hamstrings, abdomen and hands. I have never mentioned it to my oncologist. I did mention it to my internist and she had me stop my Liptor for a month as it can also cause cramps. Even off the Liptor, I get terrible cramps beginning about two days after my Q3wk Herceptin which are really bad for about five days and then become less frequent. I do believe it is the Herceptin now and not the Liptor.

Barbara

panicked911
07-14-2006, 04:43 PM
hands, feet, calfs back cramps- you name I get it - discussed with two oncs who say that herceptain is "benign" to most - well-neverhad this bedfore - apparently arimidex and lupron can do it also - have 5 more herceptrain treatments left - will wait until afterwards to see if any of this clears up...it is the soles of my feet that bother me the most.....

Susanne

Barbara
07-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Hi:

I am not on Arimidex or Lupron or any other cancer drug except Herceptin. I really think, considering the timing of my cramps, it is Herceptin.

Barb

Jean
07-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Only been on herceptin 2 months - but this week had severe toe cramping
and side of foot - didn't think it was the fault of herceptin - thought I was
low on potassium since I lost 6 pds. this week due to chemo.

Will observe and update all of you.

Jean

Chelee
07-14-2006, 11:51 PM
I have to agree with Mar on this. If herceptin can weaken the heart muscle...seems to could affect any muscle in our bodies. As she said...seems like common sense.

I have been on herceptin since Feb 12th, 06. And as of now, I finished chemo and I am JUST on herceptin. I get these weird muscle *twitches* on my sides under my arms on both sides. Not a true spasms...but twitches...like a fluttering. Many times on the side of my left breast.

Sometimes I get them in the legs. Now today I was out by my pool and got on all fours because my dogs dropped their balls in the pool. I leaned on my left arm to grab the ball with my right...and my left arm gave out! It started shaking and was weak and I knew I was going to go down...and I did. My left arm is my strongest arm since I am left handed. So there IS something to this herceptin affecting the muscles.

Chelee

karenann
07-15-2006, 12:23 AM
I get the cramps in my feet. I have been on Herceptin since July, '05.

Karen

suzan w
07-15-2006, 02:35 AM
yes, cramps in legs and hands...been on herceptin ( and arimidex)since Oct. 05. Have mentioned it to oncologist, she is not concerned and says that she has not heard much about cramps. I have written to this board before on the matter of cramps and joint pain...got lots of feedback...printed the responses and took them to my oncologist and she said, hmmmm...!!!