PDA

View Full Version : Experimental Treatment reduces scarring and skin impact of radiation / surgery

R.B.
07-12-2006, 01:44 AM
Interesting

RB

ABSTRACT

http://www.clickondetroit.com/health/9500122/detail.html

In a small study, women received a treatment called LED photomodulation after each radiation session. The low-energy light is already used by dermatologists to repair skin cells and reduce wrinkles. It provides a protective effect for the skin and stimulates collagen to regenerate, according to DeLand.

Ninety-five percent of women who received the treatment had mild or no burning or pain from radiation, Local 4 reported. The LED treatment is painless and takes 30 seconds, the station reported.

The LED treatment did make radiation better for Cecil.

"I felt nothing. No pain. My prognosis is great. It has been a year. As of now, cancer-free," said Cecil.

Women who received the LED treatment also noticed an improvement in their surgical scars. The LED equipment is not available in most cancer centers, but researchers said they hope their study will change that, Local 4 reported.

Learn More About Study

THE RESULTS:

Results of DeLand's study show 18 of the 19 women who received LED photomodulation had only mild or no radiation dermatitis. In a control group of 28 women who received radiation but did not receive the LED treatment, all of them had some degree of skin reactions.

One unexpected benefit of the LED photomodulation treatment is that the scar from the lumpectomy also improved. The appearance of the scar was much better in the women who received the LED treatment than in those who did not receive the treatment.

DeLand said, "I love making life better for these women who have to face cancer. If I can make it better for them, that is what motivates me."

The LED photomodulation device can be found in most dermatology clinics across the country, but it is not something most hospitals or radiation oncologist groups would have on site. DeLand urges women to talk to their radiation oncologists about this treatment before getting radiation.

She will soon start another trial to test how effective the LED treatment is when it is given before and after each radiation session.