PDA

View Full Version : Leg cramps! ouch???

Alice
07-06-2006, 09:03 PM
I have been having severe leg cramps for the last couple of weeks sometimes involving my feet. I thought it might be due to elecrolite imbalance but I was looking up causes tonight and came across the posibility that it could be linked to my neuropathy. Has anyone had this problem? Normally I would just ask my Dr. but now that I am off treatment I dont get to talk to them as much and will probably ask many more questions of all of you than I have in the past.
Thank you all for beeing hare, Alice

Lolly
07-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Hi Alice; yes, I had problems with severe muscle cramping while on Navelbine, and my onc put me on magnesium supplements, to be taken along with my Calcium/Vit.D supplement. I think the dose was 400mg magnesium, and it really helped. Now that I'm not on Navelbine, I'm not having problems so I no longer take the extra magnesium, although of course still continue with my calcium etc. Be sure and check with your onc before you start any new supplementation however.

<3 Lolly

Shell
07-07-2006, 05:08 AM
I too have been getting leg cramps, which are enough to wake me up at night...I'm going to ask my onc about the magnesium Lolly mentioned...

Shell

Barbara H.
07-07-2006, 06:21 AM
Hi Shell, Lolly, and, and Alice,
I'm on Navelbine and getting the cramping. I think it is from the neuropathy because I started out with some neuropathy from Taxol that I had in 98. My oncologist does not recommend supplements but he allows me to take the ones he does not consider harmful. I am going to try the magnesium.
Thanks for mentioning this side effect because I was considering asking about it.
Best,
Barbara

sarah
07-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Dear alice,
Yes, I have foot and calf cramps - mainly foot now and I was given Magnesium B6 to take. I take (if I'm good and remember!) 2 pills 3 times a day - I also take calcium for the Femara bone thinning and that has to be taken at least 2-4 hours after the magnesium!!! Anyway ask your doc about magnesium and hope that helps.
Sarah

Alice
07-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks everyone for your support. I knew I could count on you. I'll give the magnesium a try.Sorry about all the spelling oops.

Alice

CLTann
07-07-2006, 10:52 AM
both my husband and I have leg, foot and toe cramps, mostly in the night, waking us up. Mg and Calcium pills do not seem to help. We just get up and walk around the bed, soon the cramp disappears. Basically I am saying that the cramps may have nothing to do with your treatment. Our cramps may come from the cold air vent blowing to our uncovered lower limbs.

Ann

Unregistered
07-07-2006, 11:38 AM
I have severe leg/foot muscle cramps since beginning Herceptin. I had my final dose 6/21/06, I am currently on no other medications and am anxiously awaiting to see if the cramps clear up.

Mary

Barbara
07-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Hi:

I have had severe muscle cramps also in my calves, thighs, feet, hands and abdomen since starting Herceptin. The worse are actually those in the ligament on the side of the leg as you cannot walk them out like a leg muscle cramp. I have been told that only Quinine will probably help but I hate to take another drug.

Barbara

suzan w
07-07-2006, 07:15 PM
severe leg cramps here too since starting Herceptin and Arimidex...taking calcium/vitamin D, magnesium, omegas...eating bananas...nothing much seems to help...and walking it out usually does not work either!!! My 2 cents worth!

madubois63
07-08-2006, 06:26 AM
Bananas!!!!!! When ever the leg craps start, I eat bananas for the potassium and the charlie horses go away. I get them often and severly. Just had a banana with my cereal....mmmm

StephN
07-09-2006, 05:22 AM
After all the chemos I have taken, I had SEVERE leg, foot and hand cramps for a long time (years). To the point where I would have to pull over and stop the car as I could not make it home the cramps would be so bad. Could not type very well either, iron, or even cut some flowers to bring in the house. The simplest motion would set off the cramps. I would drop things and broke a few things I was sorry about.

My med onc put me on Quinine and this did the trick. I would take one capsule before bed and RARELY be awakened by a cramp. Now I pretty much forget to take the Quinine and if I get a cramp I take one and then I sleep like a baby.
NOTE: Quinine is not like the other drugs we take, I had NO side effects. It is from a plant. It is also very inexpensive.

Seems after 4 years off chemo now this is one side effect that is improving a lot with me.

I tried the bananas, but they did not always help - just agreed with me generally after all the hard chemos.