PDA

View Full Version : Why is hemoglobin low?

Cathya
07-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Hi;

My onc didn't tell me this but my regular doctor mentioned that my hemoglobin was low. I am just wondering why this would be? I have been off chemo since last July (2005), radiation since Sept. (2005) and herceptin since the end of March 2006. I am on arimidex and for the last 7 weeks actonel (a biophosphanate). I am not really concerned (unless you guys know I should be tested for something??) but wondering since we are always referring to blood counts. Thanks

Cathy

juanita
07-06-2006, 05:37 PM
It can take awhile for counts to come all the way back up. There have been threads on this before. I am a year out from chemo and my counts are still semi-low. Hang in there!

tousled1
07-07-2006, 04:44 AM
I was just at my oncologist yesterday for my counts. And of course like usual my counts were low so I received my usual shot of Procrit. I asked how long it takes until my counts will be normal again. I was told that it could take up to a year and a half. Hang in there.

Rupali
07-07-2006, 08:13 AM
I had the similar problem. I saw a nutritionist who asked me to increase my protien intake and that helped. Then I saw a naturopath who tested for Magnesium in my blood, which becomes usually low because of all this chemo and drugs we are given. So he started me on Magnesium Taurate supplements and that bumped my HGB back...I will suggest you should get a CBC done and then Vitamin B test and Magnesium test and then see a nutritionist and a naturopath...

Procrit is not the solution to this as that is just an artificial way...

heblaj01
07-08-2006, 06:10 PM
For a detailed presentation of cancer & anemia treatment options see article at:

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96991#post96991