PDA

View Full Version : Does brain mets affect tumor markers?

anne
07-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Hello,
I just wanted to see the experience on the board regarding changes in tumor markers with brain mets. Do they correlate or are they completly silent. In addition is a PET scan of the brain more accurate.

Thanks,
Anne

pattyz
07-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Anne,

In my experience, No. Altho' my CA27-29 was in the high 300's when dx'd with other mets, then down to normal after scans showed NED, my recurrances of brain mets have always been while CA27-29 is around 17. And still NED in body.

From all I have researched in the past four yrs, MRi with contrast (even the triple contrast/smaller slice pics) is the definitive set of scans for brain mets.

The question does remain whether the MRispec/something (or even pet) could determine between 'active' cancer or necrosis, tho'.

But for dx or good checkups, it is the MRi with contrast by far.

pattyz

StephN
07-05-2006, 05:23 PM
My CEA was being checked each 3 weeks for a long time and it started to creep up although my CA27-29 remained within 2 or 3 points.
My change in CEA was actualy signalling the development of brain mets. As soon as I had the Gamma Knife threatment the CEA was back down to .7 or .8, where it remains now.
Just prior to the Gamma Knife it was something like 14 as I had a large 3cm met.

I believe that Christine here had the same experience that her CEA was in line with her brain mets. I know another women at my clinic with the same story - it seems to be the CEA that changes only.

P.S. Gosh, PattyZ, I am so glad you are feeling better and up to posting here.
Take care!

Barbara H.
07-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi Anne,
My CEA was also up when I had brain mets, but I also had other mets so I can't be sure.
Barbara H.

cindy hogue
07-06-2006, 10:59 AM
my cea rose only slightly and was within the normal range when my brain mets were found in early 2003. due to slight but frequent headaches, I got an mri. the mets were tiny and gamma knifed. a year later when more brain mets were found with follow up mri's, my cea was high due to bone mets. I believe I can't depend on my cea for brain mets, but it's been very accruate for other spots. interesting question.

HavahJ
07-08-2006, 04:20 AM
My markers went up with brain met in the skull but markers work great for me! HavahJ