PDA

View Full Version : Brain mets update

Esther
06-27-2006, 09:56 PM
It's now 5 months since my initial diagnosis with Brain mets, and my SRS procedure for one lesion 5mm by 12 mm in size. I had been feeling just a slight pressure in the back of my head around the area treated in Jan in my cerebellum.

So last Thursday I saw my onc who said I should get a repeat MRI at Cedars-Sinai. I saw the MD that performed the SRS that same afternoon, and had an MRI Fri morning.

I got the results today. The MD from Cedars-Sinai called himself...I thought, oh no, Bad news! Usually an assistant calls with good news.

But, the lesion is down to .7 mm in size. Less than 1 mm. My onc called it "microscopic". No new lesions, healthy brain tissue, just some slight swelling, which the Dr. said we will just watch, he preferred I didn't take any decadron at this time.

I'm thinking by the next MRI in 3 months, that sucker should be history!

al from Canada
06-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Esther,
What are you doing about the .7? Is it to disappear or will you take tykerb or other tx. Just wondering...
Great stuff and see you on the slopes,
Al

RhondaH
06-28-2006, 03:10 AM
I know what you mean. When I had my brain MRI, the neurologist called w/ the results and my heart sunk before he even opened his mouth. I hope things continue to be well with you. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

StephN
06-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Dear Esther -
So glad you are continuing on a good path with this brain met.
Gives one a good feeling each time the test comes back in OUR favor and not the cancer's favor.

Just curious - I did not know that the scans could pick up any tumor smaller than about 2MM. What kind of scanner do they use for you??

I am having my followup brain MRI tomorrow and see my rad onc on Friday for the result. I may ask him about this.

Esther
06-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Al, Dr. Black at UCLA said that the SRS procedure I underwent had a high possibility of causing the lesion to dissolve within 12 months. I'm hoping it will be gone in 6 months. If the lesion does not dissolve on it's own, then other measures are considered.

So for now, we just monitor and as long as it's all healthy tissue and the lesion is decreasing in size, it's all good.

StephN, Cedars-Sinai has an MRI machine that picks up alot more detail. That's why I went there instead of having the MRI at Loma Linda Univ, which is alot closer to my home. LLUMC's machine is like you mentioned, unable to pick up anything smaller than about 2 mm. My onc suggested I go back to Cedars-Sinai because of the type of MRI machine they have there.

Joe
06-29-2006, 03:12 PM
Ester,

Do not be surprised or alarmed if at a follow up mri the tumor shows a little bit of growth. This sometimes happens when the tumor is necrotic and is in it's death throes.

Regards
Joe

mamacze
06-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Esther,

Thank you for sharing the good news from your onc. You must be feeling such a burden being lifted from your shoulders. And, as usual, Joe is right; in fact I think I recall Steph experiencing just that.
Love Kim

Cathya
06-30-2006, 05:59 AM
Esther;

Wonderful to hear your good news. We certainly live on a roller coaster with this disease so I'm sure you feel very happy just to get off for a while. Take care.

Cathy

Annemarie
06-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Hi,
Just to f/u on what Joe said about scar tissue after gamma knife. I had gamma knife almost 2 years ago and the first few scans they were not sure what was going on. First they thought I had another brain met and it just turned out to be scar tissue. I was so frightened. It was a single lesion 5mm brain met. I have been NED since 10/04 and will keep saying my prayers!
Annemarie

Esther
06-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Thanks Joe, I'll keep that in mind. Should that happen to me, It'll keep me from freaking out!