PDA

View Full Version : Ca 15-3

Unregistered
06-27-2006, 08:48 PM
My onc. faxed me my blood test results today and I have a big question:

My CA 15-3 was 26 in Dec. and jumped to 38 this month (range is <35) while my CEA went from 1.0 in Dec. to 1.9 (range is < 3.1 for non-smokers) and my CA 27-29 was 33 in Dec. and is 36 (range is 0-40). Everything increased but the CEA and CA 27-29 were still in normal range, except the CA 15-3 which really jumped at 12 points. I'm freaked out to say the least, but my onc.'s note said to repeat the test in two months.

If it were you, what's the best thing to do at this point? Wait two months? Ask for a repeat in one month? Ask for additional tests or scans?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Vicki

Vicki
06-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Hi Everyone,

I hope to hear from some of you with your thoughts!

Thanks,

Vicki

Sheila
06-28-2006, 05:40 AM
Vicki

For a lot of us...tumor markers are not at all reliable.....I would wait and have it repeated in a couple months. Alot of things can affect these tests....how long since you finished chemo? That can affect the reliability of the test.

tousled1
06-28-2006, 05:51 AM
I agree with Sheila. Tumor marker tests are unreliable. I'd wait and have them repeated in 2 months.

Vicki
06-28-2006, 07:58 AM
You're making me feel better already. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. I still don't know what can affect the tumor marker readings, but my last treatment was a while ago. I took HTC in Aug., 2004, so it's been almost two years. Will keep you posted.

Big hugs,

Vicki

Becky
06-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Hey Vicki

I wasn't sure it was you at first. Tumor markers are very, very unreliable. CEA can easily go up if you have had just one glass of wine the night before (so a tip is to not have any alcoholic drinks the night before). The CA 15-3 is even more unreliable than the newer CA 27/29 (and in reality, with the CA 27/29, there is no difference between the two readings you had there at all). If you don't want the wait, you can always ask for the bloodwork to be repeated in a month instead of two months. Infection and illness or being slightly allergic can also alter the results.

I am thinking about you and smiling.

Love, Becky