PDA

View Full Version : HER 2+ amplification range

MCS
06-22-2006, 10:10 AM
questions regarding amplification

My onc said anything over 3 is considered amplified "real" and treated with chemo and herceptin.

1. What's the range of amplification?. I'm 12

2. Does the range change as the cancer progresses or is it the same throught the desease.

Thank you

XOXO

MCS ( maria)

StephN
06-22-2006, 12:27 PM
The "over 3" would be referring to 3+++ that you sometimes see mentioned here. This is the designation by the IHC (Imunohistochemistry) pathology test.
The numerical scores would be determined from the FISH test, which is in greater use now, and usually gives a more accurate picture of the HER2. Also, the FISH test is required by the FDA for many of the clinical trials for HER2 patients.

There is a link on understanding labwork elsewhere in this site. It will explain ALL the test results.

MCS
06-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks Steph.

I did not find a "quick link" for this.

I did another search and found some older threads that talked about the IHC and FISH test. Actually wonderful Al had a thread link to an outside UK site that described it.

The test of IHC for immunohistochemistry has no number scale other thatn the following:The range is 0-1 for below normal amplification, 1-2+ for above normal and 3+ for excessive amplification.

The UK link also explains that the FISH test also has no number scale. It's either positive or negative.

I thnk I has my question answered. I did my homework.

Thank you for the support and the ideas on how to search it.

XO

MCS (maria)