PDA

View Full Version : Muga test

Jeanette
06-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Had my Muga test done. I ended up at 64 which is very good. Sort of makes your day to get news like that doesn't it.

rinaina
06-20-2006, 12:28 PM
You betcha! My first and only muga was 61% so 64% tops that!

tousled1
06-20-2006, 05:24 PM
My muga was 65% and that was after completion of chemo (4 A/C and 4 Taxatore). Now I will be starting my year of Herceptin on Thursday. Also start my radiation July 5. Guess I'll be busy for a while!

Lolly
06-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Wow, 64% is great! I'm jealous :)

<3 Lolly

Chelee
06-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Yeah...64, way to go. I hate going to get my ECHO...always worried they will tell me I am below 50 and have to go off herceptin. But like you...so far...so good. I pray it stays that way for ALL of us. :)

Hang in there Jeanette...one less thing for you to worry about. I always love hearing good news.

Chelee

bobbiw
06-21-2006, 06:13 AM
Glad to see this post as I have been wondering. I know I should know this but keep forgetting to ask my onc (can you believe that I would forget for goodness sake! haha) Anyway, what is a good MUGA reading? Mine yesterday (third test) was 51. I dont know what my pervious ones were and I intend to ask at my next appt (am going to write it down and then put it in my bag so I dont forget it!!!!) but am curious to know what 'normal' is.
Thanks
Bobbi

tousled1
06-21-2006, 06:17 AM
Bobbi,

Not sure what a normal muga score would be. I do know that when you are receiving Herceptin it is imperataive that you receive a MUGA at least every 3 months and if your score drops to 50 or below the oncologist will stop the Herceptin until your score comes back up over 50 and re-start the Herceptin.

tousled1
06-21-2006, 06:54 AM
After some research a "normal" MUGA score would be 50-70%.

What is Ejection Fraction? http://thaw.medtronic.com/images/TherapyAwareness/framework/skins/heartFailure/images/transparent.gif

One of the easiest ways to determine how well a person's heart is pumping is by measuring ejection fraction (EF). EF is simply the amount of blood pumped out of the heart during each beat. In a healthy heart, 50-70% of the blood is pumped out during each beat. Many people with heart failure pump out less than 40%. Normal, healthy heart
People with a normal, healthy heart typically have an EF of 55 percent or greater. This means that over half of the blood that fills the left ventricle is pumped out to the body with each contraction.Damaged, at-risk heart
Many people with a damaged heart have an EF of 40 percent or less. A below-normal EF means your heart is no longer pumping efficiently and may not be able to supply your body and brain with enough blood.