PDA

View Full Version : More Prayers and Thoughts Please

rinaina
06-20-2006, 03:25 AM
Some of you may have read threads from me stating that in addition to breast cancer, I also have an autoimmune disease called Sjogren's Syndrome. Almost two years ago this November, I had a benign tumor removed from my left parotid gland, (a major salivary gland), to rule out lymphoma and thank goodness it was not lymphoma. Sjogren's patients have a slightly higher propensity for getting lymphoma but not to terribly high. Well back in March when I was due to see my ENT surgeon for my follow up, I was a bit busy with this breast cancer diagnosis so I had to cancel and first made it back to see him yesterday. Long story short....my right parotid gland that we have been watching needs an MRI and a needle biopsy now because the neoplasm has grown in size. Here is my dilema....they want a contrast MRI which means with dye. I have a brand new port, "Peonie", in my left arm and they can't have access to my right arm. Can they access my port to inject the dye they need for contrast MRI and is it safe for me to have a needle biopsy now? I know these are all questions to ask my oncologist but just bouncing it off all of you. I am really hoping I won't need another surgery, partial parotidectomy, as these past almost five years I have had 3 already. Your continued prayers and support would mean the world to me. Thank you everyone, don't know what I would do without this forum.

tousled1
06-20-2006, 05:30 AM
I don't see why they wouldn't be able to use your port, but then I'm not a doctor. When I had my bilateral mastectomy June 8th they were going to put the IV in my ankle and I said I had a port can couldn't they use that. Well, Lo and behold that's what was used for my anesthesia. Good luck to you.

pattyz
06-20-2006, 08:02 AM
My experience was that no, port can not be used for dye for MRi.

Hoping all who are involved with your treatments will be kind and thoughtful...

hugs, xoxox
pattyz

rinaina
06-20-2006, 08:25 AM
I tend to agree with you Patyz. My guess is that if they even let me get the MRI they are going to want them to go below where the port is to push the dye. My port is right below the elbow. Sure wish I didn't have to deal with another medical issue now but hey, I won't complain, many have it much worse than me. I will deal with it whatever I have to deal with. Thanks for your replies to this both you and Tousled.

R.B.
06-20-2006, 08:28 AM
I wish you well.

I attach a link to trials on fats and Sjogren's Syndrome

It looks as if your fat intake may have implications for the condition - see posts on this site re balancing omega threes and sixes. Fish oils seems according to the trial below to improve the risk of the condition. This would make sense as inflamatory factors are involved as they are with BC. Could be a double positive - oh and arthritis too.

Please do consult with your advisor. You may wish to print out the trials to discuss with him or her.

RB

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed&cmd=search&term=Sjogren's+Syndrome+fats

AND SPECIFICALY

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=9849649&query_hl=9&itool=pubmed_docsum

1: Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 1998 Oct;59(4):239-45. Related Articles, Links

Essential fatty acid status in cell membranes and plasma of patients with primary Sjogren's syndrome. Correlations to clinical and immunologic variables using a new model for classification and assessment of disease manifestations.

Oxholm P, Asmussen K, Wiik A, Horrobin DF.

Copenhagen Sjogren's Syndrome Research Centre, Department of Rheumatology U, Copenhagen County Hospital in Gentofte, Hellerup, Denmark. peter.oxholm@dadlnet.dk

In 41 primary Sjogren's syndrome patients we compared fatty acid levels within erythrocyte phospholipids, plasma phospholipids, plasma triglycerides and plasma cholesterol esters, with the immunopathological and clinical disease status. Docosahexaenoic acid was the essential fatty acid (EFA), the levels of which correlated (inversely) most closely with the clinical disease status (r=-0.33 to -0.50). Levels of dihomogammalinolenic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid correlated inversely to levels of IgM rheumatoid factors (r=-0.33) and anti-SSA/Ro antibodies (r=-0.40) respectively. Moreover, levels of anti-SSA/Ro antibodies (r=-0.34-0.40) correlated with levels of the proinflammatory arachidonic acid. Sigma n-3 EFA/sigma n-6 EFA ratios correlated significantly to the quantitative estimates of immunopathological and clinical disease status. Our data are in agreement with current understanding of pro- and anti-immunoinflammatory roles within EFA metabolism, and support the rationale for intervention studies.

PMID: 9849649 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

rinaina
06-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Thank you RB for all the valuable info that I will definitely read up on and print out for consulting with my doctors, all of them, rheumatologist, ENT and oncologist. I appreciate you taking the time in passing this info along.

rinaina
06-20-2006, 12:37 PM
My onc talked to my Ent surgeon and they decided together that this is going to have to wait until I am completely done with my chemo sessions which means after the end of July at least. I am relieved and happy. I know what to feel for and look for if there should be any changes so I am just thrilled that I don't have to go through any other procedures or biopsies at this time. Thank goodness, there is a G-d!