PDA

View Full Version : Liver met questions

Kim in DC
06-14-2006, 05:46 PM
I tried to go through previous threads but I have specific questions. I have been having pains on my right side, front and back, on and off. They are not sharp, more like a tightness. Also I am having some gas. Did any of you with liver mets experience this? The pain moves all around.

I was diagnosed stage 3/B with neoadjuvant tax/herceptin, adjuvant herceptin and navelbine and now I am currently on Herceptin alone. If these turn out to be mets, What chemos should I be on? Should I get the serum test?

In the mean time, what supplements can I take to help the herceptin with the liver?

Kim in DC

karenann
06-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Kim,

I would look back to see some of Gina's previous posts. She had liver mets 8 or 9 years ago and has been ned with just Herceptin every 6 weeks and supplements.

Karen

Sherryg683
06-14-2006, 07:33 PM
I see you have been on taxotere. I have the same sort of pains in my liver area going around to the rib area. I have had several PET scans and while I do have a couple of small hyperlesions on my liver they have never tested postive for Cancer. I sometimes get the pains on my left side also. My Oncologist said he thinks its leftover from the chemo, it messes up your stomach. I do notice mine gets worse after I eat. I would have it checked out although most that have liver mets, have no symptoms..sherryg683

chrisy
06-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Kim,
I was dx with extensive liver mets in 2004 and had no "right side" pain, just a little indigestion. Liver enzymes were not much elevated either.
The pains you describe may be nothing - but do get it checked out. Request an ultrasound (minimum) or preferably CT scan to rule out liver mets.
Its too bad - in addition to everything else we go through, we can't just have a sinus cold or backache without fearing the worst! Here's hoping this is one of those false alarm moments!
Please keep us posted!
Chris

Lisa
06-14-2006, 09:30 PM
My liver mets first showed symptoms under my right shoulder blade in the back. For months I thought this was a pulled muscle. Then after my liver mets were diagnosed, I found out that this is a sign of cancer in the liver. Since then, with continuing liver mets, I occasionally have pain in the liver itself, just below and to the side of the right front rib cage.

Having said that, your pains could be anything. If they concern you, ask for a scan. Much better safe than sorry.

Love and light,

Lisa

Barbara
06-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Kim:

I would request a CT or an MRI and not an ultrasound. Ultrasound tends to miss small lesions. MRI is the most sensitive but you can't biopsy from an MRI and that is why CT is usually used.

Remember that Chemo will also raise havoc on your gallbladder and sometimes the pain is related to that organ and not liver mets.

It is always good to find out even if it is chemo side affects or the gallbladder as peace of mind is invaluable.

Barbara

Helen
06-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Hi Kim,
I have experienced what you have described on and off too when I was on chemo with Taxotere and even after I had it. I still have active liver mets (stable). I remember a previous thread on this and I thought it was a Herceptin side effect. When was the last time you had a CT/PET scan? Have it checked for your peace of mind.

Helen

Kim in DC
06-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks for all the help. I'm hoping it's my gallbladder. I pains in the abdomen that feel like gas and pains in the back between the shoulder blades.I have a ct scan scheduled.

Chelee
06-16-2006, 11:30 PM
I have been on the herceptin, taxotere & carbpotin since Feb. 06. I have been told its the taxotere causing the rib pain I am having. (I sure hope so...I always worry about mets too.)

But since I first started the taxotere, carb, I have had pain on the right side of my ribs...and the left. But the right always being much worse. I recently had a pet/ct scan and nothing showed up in either place...but the way it hurts always worries me.

But hopefully...don't worry to much...its probably just a side affect of the Taxotere. My pain in the ribs comes and goes too. I have been bugging my oncologist since day one as to why it always seems to hurt where my liver is? She doesn't know. (But when you have bc...everything is always a worry...its hard not to let each little pain drive you nuts.) I personally hate it as I am sure everyone else does too.

Good luck to you...

Chelee

madubois63
06-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Like Lisa, first I had the pain in the right shoulder blade - actually, it was a deep itch that I just couldn't scratch hard enough. Then I had the pain in the actual liver on the right lower abdomen side. Talk to your onc and get a scan just to put your mind at ease. The canceritis can be debilitating. Also talk to your onc about supplements. I take milk thistle for the liver. Good luck.

..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´ -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´

kat in the delta
03-11-2007, 03:54 PM
COULD ANY OF YOU WITH LIVER MET. FEEL A MOVEMENT (could be fluid) OR RATTLE IN YOUR RIB CAGE ON THE RT.SIDE WHEN YOU TOOK A DEEP BREATH IN ?? THAT'S HOW MINE FEELS---my sister even put the palm of her hand over my rib cage and felt it. IT was MORE PAINFUL when , for instance , I sneeze..(.??? ) I have not had a cold or cough tho'. What scan, if any, would be the best..I had a bone scan, and my rib cage bones were fine. kat in the delta

Esther
03-11-2007, 05:00 PM
if you are worried about liver mets, a ct scan should be able to tell if there any lesions to worry about in your liver.

Other than that, liver enzymes can also add to the picture of how your liver is functioning.

kat in the delta
03-17-2007, 12:09 AM
Esther or Anyone in HERE,,,,
I had a bone scan and it was OK.,so it's not my bones on the right side....A CT,as you mentioned, is a CAT scan, right? It would show tissue?? I get the CAT and the MRI and the PET Scans all confused--which shows tissue, or what?? and How would liver enzymes be shown as working properly? kat in the delta

PS. I have taken 4 doses of Zometa--started 2 at last part of treatment and have taken 2 (3 months apart) because of Osteopenia. I just heard a teleconference and I asked the Onc and he said I should only have to have Zometa 1 x per year !! Have I been overdosed?? I have told my Onc that the Zometa cause my bones to be in PAIN--he just thinks its nothing and to take a tylenol..I have bad kidneys and cannot take aspirin.. kat

kat in the delta
03-17-2007, 12:23 AM
Hi Chrisy,
HOW and What are you doing for your Liver MEts?? What Chemos or Rad do you get.??..I had a masc.in April of '05--hard to believe it's been that long ago....and I haven't stopped yet ! I finished all major chemos and Rad.and then went thru a whole year of Herceptin. The major stuff was over around the last of Aug.'06. but, I am now getting Zometa-IV every 3 months and tamoxifen every day..... .........My side still hurts. I think I will go back to my gen MD again to get a MRI, you think?? or a CAT scan, or just start with a simple Ultra sound???? ...I called my ONC..but he never returned my call. I have not talked to my surgeon, tho. She is about 2 hrs away, but is very good, and knows so much....When I found out I had B.C.,I ask my GYN.(75yrs)"Who would you send YOUR wife to?" He gave me this surgeon's name...........Any advice for peace of mind ??------------------------------------------- kat in the delta

Carol Carlson
03-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Kim,
I recently went to my onc. for a routine visit... told her that I was having some intermittant pain in the right upper quadrant ...( I have GERD --reflux) and take protonix for that so she ordered an ultrasound for possible gallbladder invovement. It was normal ..but as she was examining me I asked about my liver and she said it seemed fine plus my liver enzymes were within normal limits.
I think it's normal to think that anything that appears different, you just suspect that it has something to do with our diagnosis. It is good to have things " ruled out" as a possible cause of recurrance.
More than likely you are fine and maybe need some follow-up just for peace of mind.
I'l be glad to give you the particulars of my diagnosis if you'd like.
Be well and take a deep breath....
Carol

Bev
03-17-2007, 09:36 PM
It could be anything... but my OB/Gyn routinely orders TransV/ Ultrasounds for BC patients to rule out disorders of those parts.
Disorders of the repro tract can cause similiar symptoms.

Keep asking. You need them to rule out everything. BB