PDA

View Full Version : Low Platelet count = Neumega?

Chelee
06-13-2006, 12:42 AM
I just had my last full cycle of chemo today. I had my CBC BEFORE the chemo as always and my platelet count had NOT come up this time like it had all the times before. They don't know why...they said it should have?

But I let them know I don't want a transfusion if I can help it. They said I don't have to worry about that until it gets down to 20...they said thats bad.

I was told to come in tomorrow for another drug called "Neumega" which will boost my platelet count. Then two more follow up shots days apart.

Has ANYONE here had this Neumega? I have never seen the Neumega mentioned here. I hate putting more and more drugs in my body if I don't have too. I have already had EXTREME swelling in my feet and legs, two dopplers on them to check for clots. I think the Procrit causes my edema on top of the chemo. Taxotere and Carb? But now my concern is this Neumega's most COMMON side affects are: Fluid retention, wheezing or trouble breathing, fast or irregular heartbeat, headaches and dizziness.

I have already had trouble with my breathing BEORE this due to landing in the hospital. I am STILL on oxygen. So I do worry about anything else that can cause breathing problems. Then the fluid retention. If my feet, ankles and lower legs get anymore swollen I won't be able to walk on them. They HURT!!!!!!!! And I am on lasix.

So have ANY of you had these shots of Neumega...and if so did it bring your platelet count up? And did you have any of these side affects mentioned?

I dread anymore shots of anything, let alone all the EXTRA trips back and forth. But they said I have no choice since this full cycle chemo I just had today will no doubt make my platelet count drop alot more. So they said I better do it. By the way, my platelet count was at 85. Thats the lowest its ever been. How fast does this Neumega work?

I hope some one here has tried this or knows about it first hand.

Thank you...

Chelee

Chelee
06-13-2006, 02:03 PM
I was hoping that someone on this board had heard about this Neumega for your platelet count? Guess not. http://www.her2support.org./vbulletin/images/smilies/frown.gif I am off to go get this shot...I hope and pray it doesn't cause me any problems. Seems like no one here has had it before. I am really the only one? O'well...

Chelee

tammymarie1971
06-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi Chelee...Sorry that no one knew about neumega...I did look it up and found this site if you're interested. For some reason I can't post links but here is the address drugs.com/cons/Neumega.html
I hope you find this helpful..And I hope all went well today..Take care, Tammy

Chelee
06-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Tammy, Thanks so much for your reply. I did check the page you sent me & did a search on google. I am a bit concerned about all the side affects of this Neumega. It says your doctor should make sure to go over all the risks and benefits...yet she *didn't* talk to me at all about it.

My infusion nurse went to ask my oncologist a question about my wbc...and thats when it must of come up that my platelet count was at 85 and told my nurse to give me this Neumega. So my doctor didn't even talk to me about it...and I feel she should of since I see there are many SERIOUS side affects to it.

I am even MORE concerned since I posted this message on this board and we all share something in common unfortunetly. (Cancer, chemo tx.) I find it funny NOT one person on this board other then me has had this Neumega drug to boost their platelet count? That drug was approved in 1997 and no one here has had it but me? (Thats scary.)

I went in today to get the injection and asked my oncologist nurse how often has she given this? She said not very often. (She has been a oncologist nurse for OVER 10 years.) Why is my doctor giving this to me instead of waiting to see if my platelet count goes back up on its own?

I am getting so fed-up with not being able to trust my doctors down here. They DON'T talk to me or tell me anything. My infusion nurse is more like my doctor. She is the ONLY one that really cares about me and how I feel. My oncologist tells her what to do instead of EVER talking to me face to face about my counts being high or low...or anything thats important. I can't win.

But thanks so much Tammy. That was so sweet of you to go to all that trouble to find that page for me. :) At least I now know this drug must not be used very often...and again...that worries me.

Chelee

Chelee
06-17-2006, 12:42 AM
Now I see WHY no one knows about this "Neumega" I was given to boost my platelet count. I asked my oncologist nurse how often she gives this injection...and she says she has hardly ever given it. She said USUALLY they {Meaning your oncologist}will postpone your chemo for one week and wait for your platelet count to go up by itself verse's use this Neumega. (Thats how its done she said.)

I am a bit frustrated to say the least as I don't like taking things I don't need to. Especially NOW that I see NO ONE uses this. Why MY oncologist seemed to think it was ok to use...is beyond me. I think I need to change to a new oncologist YET AGAIN. She isn't spending any time with me or listening to be anyway...so why should I bother.

After my first injection of this Neumega...I had a few nasty side affects....one that affected my breathing. I was told to come back down to get a second injection of Neumega two days after my first one. I told them NO WAY. My face was so swollen, eyes RED....tearing out of both of them. Red from the waist up my neck and head. My face was so swollen. They said to come down so they could check my cbc and see how I looked. So I went down there and my infusion nurse said my oncologist would WANT to see me. (I told her I bet she won't!) I was RIGHT...she NEVER did come out to see me and I looked like all he$%. (I am so glad my doctor cares.) :( I feel like my infusion nurse IS my doctor...she is the one that tells me everything and tells me what my oncologist wants to do with me.

My infusion nurse DOES care...I think she was really shocked that my doctor didn't come out for one second to look at me in person...especially since she ordered this injection for me. So after having me come down there on the 2nd and 4th day after my full cycle chemo when I felt my WORSE...they just said to go home and be careful and not cut myself since my platelet count is low. (Gee thanks)

All I know is I WISH they would of just canceled this one chemo for one week...that would of been easier then being put through all this crap. That Neumega is nasty...was to me anyway. I was SUPPOSE to have FOUR shots of that stuff which no one told me about. Like I really wanted to run out to the cancer center almost daily after my full cycle chemo for that shot that NO ONE but me gets. Argh!!!

If anyone is offered Neumega...research it first..read about it. That stuff is nasty in my opinion. Its better to delay your chemo a week then to take that in my opinion after my experience. Let alone what I read about it. They aren't even sure if that doesn't cause cancer. (Just great!)

Chelee

Cathya
06-17-2006, 03:21 AM
Chelee;

At one point during my chemo treatments my blood counts were on the line and the nurse, pharmacist and doctor discussed whether to give me my treatment or not. The doctor said I was....???.....can't remember the word...well I WAS on chemo...lol. In any case I didn't know what they were talking about but they went ahead anyway and gave me the chemo. When I asked them why they made the decision to carry on regardless of my blood they said that I was cureable (whoopee I thought.....especially as a stage 3c her2+ I can tell you....phew). In this hospital if you are cureable they do everything they can to stick to the chemo schedule and only delay chemo if you are considered paliative. So....perhaps this whole thing is in reality great news for you!!! God bless and keep us informed.

Cathy

tousled1
06-17-2006, 05:35 AM
Chelee,

I'm so sorry that you have to go through all this. I'm amazed that no one on this board had not received the shots. I know when I was going through chemo (neoadjunct) my blood counts always went way low but my platlets seemed okay. While I was on chemo I got procrit shots the day of chemo and then evey week to bring up the red blood cells and neulasta shots the day after chemo to bring up the white blood cells. My chemo was delayed once for a week because my counts were so low.

I think if I were you I'd try and find another oncologist. There is nothing worse than your doc not seeing you when you are having a real problem. Hang in there and good luck!!!

Chelee
06-18-2006, 01:15 AM
Hi Cathya, I sure like your take on why my oncologist decided to try the Neumega verses delay my chemo one week. I have to admit...it sure is a nice way to look at it. I love the thought. :)

I haven't felt good about much since I was DX because my surgeon which was great...good reputation....was SO positive about how well I would do following my surgery. But that was BEFORE he did the SNB and found it had spread to the nodes. Then after that...I had went from stage II to Stage IIIA, Her2/neu 3+++, Er & Pr positive, postive node involvment. He had ORIGNALLY said when he thought I was stage II that I would be around a LONG time.

After we had the full picture of my real DX...he NEVER gave me anything positive to go on. I do mean NOTHING! :( He was so upbeat at first...then turned on dime & wouldn't give me one darn thing positive. (And believe me...I tried to get him to say something...anything.) He wouldn't budge. I didn't expect him to make promises or anything...I even told him that. I said I wont' hold you to anything...I just want to know if you know a few people like me that has done ok? But he just would NOT for the life of him go there! In fact...I was depressed that same day. I told him I always thought if I died of something....it would be from heart diease since my Dad died of a massive heart attack at age 36. Well...you know what my surgeon said? He looked at me and smiled as he slowly was walking towards the door to leave and said, "Well my dear...you already beat him by 12 years". (I almost started crying..but held it in...that wasn't nice to say after I was just given such bad news.) He was laughing and thought it was funny. I sure didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(He really cheered me up.) So after he wouldn't give me anything positive to go on...then I had my first oncologist. I flat out asked him how well he thought I might do...and how many does he know with a DX simuilar to mine that is still around? He sits and thinks really hard while looking at the floor and says "Well...I have one women that is still here and its been a year". (So I got knocked down again!) I was thinking you ONLY have ONE that you can think of...and a YEAR...thats it...the best you can do. :(

So after some problems with him...I changed oncologist again...I liked this new one better. I have had about 4 months with her. I have asked her about my chances and odds at beating this? She won't say a word either. She just refers me to that darn chart they run when they put in your stage, her2 status, etc. I was hoping for anything from anyone of them...just say there is always hope...but not one word. Not one freaking word can I get from either of the oncologist I had...nor my surgeon. Three people in the medical profession and not a one of them could give me anything positive to go on. That really made me feel good.

So its sure NICE Cathya to hear you put it the way you did. I pray that is the reason why they went ahead and tried to give me that darned Neumega? But I still question WHY not one other person on this board or another one I visit with her2 gals has had that drug...just me? I feel like they don't care what happens to me at this point...I hate to say it...but that is how I am feeling...even if I am wrong.

No matter what...I am still thinking positive and I have found many more women myself on the boards and else where that I have found hanging in there and doing good. So I will ignore their negative impressions they give me and fight on.

It sure would be NICE if that is why they tried to give me that Neumega Cathya. But my oncologist nurse worries me when she says she has hardly ever given that to anyone. I think they knew how upset I was at my first oncologist for letting m ANC count get so low and landing me in the hospital...which in the end made me MISS a entire month of chemo. She didn't want to hear it from me so she probably used the Neumega regardless of how bad it is. :(

There is alot of people on this her2 board alone for me to NOT find even one person that has had this drug. But I sure hope your right Cathy...it is a nice way to look at it. Maybe I am way off about my oncologist and their thought process. But they have given me plenty of room not to fully trust them which is sad. This is my life and I would like to think they were trying as hard as me to fight for it. Not just ignoring me.

But no matter what...as of Monday..I AM going to make some calls down there and let them know I need to change again to someone that cares about my treatment. This doctor hasn't examed me or checked me out once in four months. I told her I had swollen lymph node under my coller bone and she says "Keep an eye on it and let me know if it gets worse.". Gee thanks! They just leave me scared and worried all the time. I want someone in MY corner with me...and soon. So I hate to change again...but I sure will.

Hi Tousled1, See, your oncologist sounds normal. You got the Neulasta shot and Procrit when you were suppose too. (I didn't even get that at first...I have had to push and be proactive to get anything.)

Like you my platelets always seemed or I should say...stayed pretty good up until now. This was my last full cycle chemo. But actually my infusion nurse said my platelet count had went from 85 to 77. She said it could go as low as 20...however they don't want that. But that was the ONLY timem my platelet count went that low. If I was still safe...why even give me that new stuff since this was my last chemo other then two herceptin I have to finish?

You hit the nail on the head too Tousled when you said there is nothing worse then a doctor that WON'T come out and see you when your that bad off. That was a GOOD indication that day that I am SO DONE with her. I know my infusion nurse was taken back by my doctor not coming out and looking at me. She wasn't busy that day either...so there was no excuse. It would of taken her one minute if that.

I read so many posts here and it sounds like everyone has such great doctors they can trust...except me. I am just thankful for this board because its half the reason I know anything about my her2 status. Plus its a great support system if you need help/answers.

Thanks Cathy annd Tousled.

Chelee

lu ann
06-18-2006, 07:20 AM
Dear Chelee, Sometimes you have to be your own advocate. I was dx. 2 years ago with a recurrance after 13 years with NED. I thought for sure I'd be dead in 6 months. I ended up going to Cancer Treatment Centers of America for a second opinion. I stayed for 6 weeks and had rad. tx. Most of the patients I met were given no hope prior to going to C.T.C.A. This place is amazing. You can go on their web site or call them. I'm gong to church right now but will post when I get home with the phone number and web site. Blessings fom Lu Ann.

Barbara H.
06-18-2006, 08:51 AM
Hi Chelee,
I was first diagnosed 8 years ago in 1998. I didn't recur until 6 years later in May, 2004. At that time I became stage 4 with a 3cm tumor to by brain, and cancer throught out my liver, lungs, and nodes throught out my body. After surgery I asked the radiologists that would be doing the sterotactic radiotherapy how long I could possibly have. They said, a few healthy women have made it 5 years, but not longer. At that time I didn't know about this site and went home pretty depressed. In spite of the condition I was in, I wanted more hope. When I saw my oncologist a few weeks later I related the story. His resposnse was, they (meaning the radiologists) are young and haven't seen everything. My oncologist doesn't discuss statistics, because he sees his patients as individuals. He knows that I am informed enough to understand my that my situation is serious, but he has never taken hope away from me at this point in my treatment. Now my scans are clear except for minimal involvement in the bones and I unfortunately have to take Navelbine with Hercepitn. I also need regular scans of my brain because the area still lights up. They think it is necrosis, but they don't know. Therefore you shouldn't lose hope, and you should find a good oncologist who wants the best for you and sees a future for you.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.

lu ann
06-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Hi Chelee, You can reach Cancer Treatment Centers of America by Phone at 1-800-577-1255. Their web site is cancercenter.com. They will send you a packet filled with info about their treatment center. I also received a video. I highly recommend their facility. They provide an intergrative aproach to treatment using conventional as well as alternative methods. I could have gone there for chemo. treatments but I hate flying and it is just too far to go by car or train. They provide transportation and meals for you and caregiver for consultation. All future travel expenses are paid for patient. They don't pay for lodging but local hotel rates are reasonable. Take care and God Bless you during this time of uncertainty. Lu Ann

Bev
06-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Hi Chelee,

I have a Hep C friend with extremely low platelet count and they aren't treating her with additional drugs. Once she started bleeding into her intestines they discontinued the interfuron sp? But she had low plates for a year or so. Maybe the thought is if you can avoid cutting yourself and treatment ends soon, your counts will bounce back. I thought the old fashioned way of dealing with low plates was to get a platlet transfusion. I can't imagine that there would be side effects from that.

For prognosis, God only knows. I was reading something yesterday, on cancercare.org I think. Recurrences happen within 5 years and then again at 25 years. You may be lucky and never have to do chemo again or you may have to start the same crap over again. There's lots of ammo for triple positives, so we just have to hope science stays ahead of the progression of this disease.

Best wishes, BB

Chelee
06-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Lu Ann, Thanks for sharing your very encouraging personal experience with me. I hate to hear you had a recurrance 2 years ago...but I LOVE hearing how you were NED for 13 years. (Wow...that is absolutely amazing.) I know it does happen...and that is what I am always holding on to. As long as I am still kicking and breathing...there is always hope. They seem to want to take it away from me...but frankly I am not listening. The more they do it...the more I want to SHOW them they are WRONG. They aren't God...they don't know for sure who will do well and who won't. I just wish they would at least pretend to be in my corner...just a little bit if nothing else.

As to becoming my own best advocate...I couldn't agree with you more. I knew nothing when I first started this journey...but I have learned so much since then and I am speaking up more & asking them lots of questions about my treatment plan and care. (That when it seemed like things got worse!) Everything I have been handed to read from my surgeons office says to be INVOLVED & ask questions about your cancer treatment. So I do that...and will have questions prepared...but they just won't answer them for me. I am just told they don't have time. Makes me mad because last time I checked they were getting paid for treating me. I have a RIGHT to know what treatment plan they have...and if my PET scan lite up, etc. They don't want to tell me anything. They are so vague when asked a direct question...and so good at avoiding me. (And its NOT just me...its their over-all way they seem to run things at this cancer center.) Seems like its all profit driven...verses caring about the patient??? I have heard so many others complain down there...so its not just me. This is a new wing they built on down there...so its not like they are a big major cancer center thats been there a long time.

Since I found this HER2 support board I have asked them lots of GOOD questions. They have no idea how much I have learned from this board alone about my her2 status. They liked it better when I knew NOTHING. But things have changed. Don't they realize by them ignoring me and NOT telling me anything is what forced me to this board and to do research on google. Knowledge as we all know is power. If I can't get anything out of them...I HAD to go else where. I have lost pretty much all faith and trust in them. Its scary.

You mentioned getting a second opinion at the Cancer centers of America. I have been to their website. :) But like you...thats where I am at now...I don't trust or believe these people and I have a 2nd opinion on June 28th at a well known trusted cancer center. I am meeting with their radiology Dept and other members to go over what has already been done in treatment for me. (Because one...I questioned my cancer centers choice of chemo regimen for MY prognosis.) I want to see if this well known cancer center will tell me they agreed with what they treated me with?

I can't trust my cancer center at all with the chemo or anything else...so if I am moving on to Rads...I would rather go to this other place that has been treating cancer for 30 plus years. Its further to go too...but just like you did...if I HAVE too...I will get a room down there and stay there till my rads are over. (Or if they want to do more chemo?) Its all up in the air till I get to this other place. But I have to go there for my own peace of mind.

I am so happy for you that you found the CTCA and got your rads done. The worse part for you was probably staying there for the 6 weeks? That is what I am dreading after I go to my 2nd opinion. But I think...whats six weeks if I have TRUST in them and I KNOW they have the experience to take care of me...unlike the place I am at now. The place I am at now seemed shocked when they found out I was going to this other cancer center at this point for another opinion. But my oncologist tried to play along like that was a good idea. (yeah sure.) She didn't fool me.

Thanks so much for your support Lu Ann. Your post alone gives me more hope then anyone down at my cancer center has ever given me. I really appreciate you sharing your story with me. I still can't get over how you went 13 years NED. Here's praying that you get another 30 years of NED since you visit to the Cancer centers of America. :)

I see in your other post to me you posted the phone number for them...and their website. I have been to their website...but I haven't called them. I think I will just for the heck of it. I would be interested in what they have to say. I am like you when it comes to flying. Yikes...I have never flown before and it scares me. I am not sure if I could do it or not? But I am going to at least give them a call...the more information I get...the better. Thanks for getting all the information for me...that is so nice of you. I would like to have them mail me that packet of info also.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart. Its all you REAL people that give me hope...I certainly don't get any from the place I go. Thank all the people that are BEHIND bringing us this board. I personally am not sure what I would of done without it. :)

Lu Ann, your one in a million.

Chelee

Chelee
06-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Hi Bev, Thats interesting that you mentioned your friend with Hep C that had low blood platelets. I did read on a couple of the Neumega webpages I checked out that it is also used on people with other medical conditions that drive down their platelet count. So if thats true...and this Neumega was so good for a person...you would think they would of used it on your friend.

See..that is what really worries me...I can't find ANYONE that had low platelet counts that were given this Neumega except me. Now you mention your friend and even her doctors didn't give her the injections of it. I read enough about that Neumega that I sure don't ever want it around me. It caused me problems the first night they gave me a shot of it. I refused the other three. Tomorrow (Monday) is my herceptin day...can't wait to see what my platelets are in the morning before infusion of herceptin? I pray they went back up some. As long as they didn't drop anymore then they were?

I thought like you did Bev...that you get a platelet transfusion if they go too low? My nurse said had my oncologist just delayed chemo this ONE week...my platelet count would of went right back up with no problem. She said that is how it is usually done. My nurse said they would of bounced back with no problem.

I sure hope I can go 5 years or more with no recurrances. But it doesn't seem like many do. But boy do I want to SHOW my so called cancer team they are WRONG about me. I want to kick some bc in the behind and go NED for YEARS to come. (Thats my plan rather they like it or not.) :)

When you said I may be lucky and never have to do chemo again...boy is the music to my ears....and probably so many other women here. That is a nice thought. I just pray so hard that all these people that are constantly searching for a cure...or fix for cancer comes up with one soon for ALL OF US. As long as they have been working on it...you think they would of gotten further then they have? Whomever finds a REAL cure...will be one very popular and rich person, and SAVE so many wonderful people. So you know there out there working so hard at finding one...so if nothing else we all have to hang in there because one HAS to be around the corner real soon. That is my hope.

Thanks so much for your reply Bev. Much appreciated. God bless you.

Chelee

Bev
06-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Hey Chelee,

You're burning up that keyboard. Read Rhonda's story of the 90 yr old survivor. It looks like your almost done with chemo, yeah. Herceptin alone shouldn't bother your platelets, so it looks like you're almost out of the weeds here. I declined neulasta for mildly low wbc after trying it once and the docs were OK. Unless your counts get really low it sounds like you'll get by w/o Neumega. I'm not a doc though... It sounds like you'll be around a good long time to give them fits. Best wishes. BB

Chelee
06-19-2006, 11:01 PM
Bev, I just had to laugh when you said I am burning up the keyboard. I have to admit...I SURE AM. When I click on any of my threads/posts...there far TOO LONG. (Thats due to the frustration I have been through and no place to vent.) Soon...if not already...people on this board will see a thread started by "Chelee" and think to themselves..."Oh no...not one of her posts...forget it...I don't have a week to read a novel." LOL I have to calm down and keep it short. :) Do everyone...including me a favor. :)

Your right Bev, I am almost done with chemo. I have ONE LAST weekly infusion of herceptin next week...thats it. YEAH.

Since I went in for my weekly herceptin today they ran a CBC to check my platelet count...and all the others. My platelet count dropped even more. Argh! It went from 85 one week, to 77 the next...now it dropped AGAIN...its NOW at 32. :( My infusion nurse went and talked to my oncologist about how low it was...and she was told to offer me that Negmega again. (I said no...it has nasty side affects.)

So I asked my infusion nurse isn't it normal for it to be lower since I had my SIXTH chemo only 8 days ago? It has had an accumilative affect as we all know. She said it is pretty normal for it to drop at this point and she really feels it will be back up by next week. But she said she had to offer me the neumega anyway. She just said to be REAL careful...don't do anything where I might cut myself. I said I will sit on the couch and NOT move. lol (I did ask her one question though, "Does this mean I CAN'T continue to practice juggling my knives"?)

So now they want me to come BACK in THIS Wednesday to check my platelet count again. So I am only eating things high in protein hoping that will help...because I didn't eat anything to speak of last week after my full cycle chemo. I was dusted...no appetite.

My wbc, rbc, & hemagolbin was all down today....more then I thought it would be? (No wonder I felt so bad this entire week...its been my worse by far.) I took the Procrit today since my rbc was so low. I declined neulasta...my wbc is low...but not too bad yet. It should go back up on its own in a few days.

So I will behave myself till I go back down wed. and have another CBC. Hopefully all my counts will be back up by then. I know my nurse said they NEVER want your platelet count to go below 20...and I am at 32. So I am getting too close for comfort. But my body won't be getting anymore of that taxotere, carb so it should shoot back up soon. (Knock wood.) It better!

I will go check out this story your mentioned to me. (Ronda's story) I love survivor stories...can't get enough of them.

Thanks Bev. Sorry to all of you that have put up with my LONG drawn out posts. :( I apologize.

Chelee

Susan Rankin
06-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Chelee,

I have experienced low platelets for about twenty years (around 125). When I got breast cancer and started chemo, my platelets started dropping. With the chemo they would go down a little bit more, I would have to go back home and return in a week to see if they were building back up. My platelets never got below 70, but my oncologist would not give me chemo when they were in the 70's. They were the lowest when I was taking Taxol, I was a month late finishing up chemo due to my platelets being too low. When I started Herceptin they have stayed in the 90's and high 80's and one time 121. My other blood counts are normal.

Hang in there. The platelets will go back up. The chemo is so hard on our body. I was never offered Neumega, in fact, I was always told there was not anything you could take to build platelets except for a transfusion. I have never heard of Neumega until you mentioned it.

Susan

Chelee
06-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Hi Susan, After reading your post...I would think YOU should of heard of this Neumega if anyone ever has. If you have always had a low platelet count...then added chemo to it...you should of been one of the first ones offered Neumega. (I am GLAD I refused it this last time they offered it!)

Your doctors did what I hear is the NORM when platelets are low. They just delay chemo one week. (Even my infusion nurse said that.) Thats when I asked my chemo nurse "Then WHY are they giving me this neumega when NO ONE else has had it?" She said she really didn't know.

What am I...their ginuea pig!! As you know platelets are suppose to run between 150 & 450. So yes...you were LOW for a long time. I am surprised you got through chemo when starting with such low platelets to begin with. You did really good regardless of a few delays. :)

I think my platelets where around 225 or abouts when I started. But now last Monday they were 32. But we will see what tomorrow brings (Wednesday). I pray they have went up SOME. I have done everything I can at home to help...meaning eating right which I was NOT doing. I have been eating things high in protein...I was told that would help. So I have my fingers crossed.

Thanks a million for your post. It just reassures me that I did the RIGHT thing by refusing another shot of the Neumega. That is nasty stuff. I just don't want a transfusion...but my counts SHOULD be on their way back up by now surely? It will be 10 days as of Wednesday since my last full cycle of chemo which made them drop like that. I ONLY had herceptin this last monday. So I SHOULD be fine. (Knock wood.)

That is so STRANGE that you were NEVER offered Neumega with platelet counts like yours. I have NOT been able to find ONE person that knows about this Neumega? Thats counting this her2 board...one other bc board I visit....and all my chemo buddies at the center. Sure makes a person say "Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm".

Thanks again.

Chelee

tousled1
06-21-2006, 07:12 AM
You may want to check this site. Neumega was just approved by the FDA in 1997.

http://www.centerwatch.com/patient/drugs/dru346.html