PDA

View Full Version : HER-2 Support Group Annual Meeting????

LovingDaughter
06-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Joe, Al or anyone else who knows--

Has this site ever held an annual meeting for all of the members to come together to meet each other? If not, it's just a thought. I would love to meet as many members in person as possible!

RhondaH
06-10-2006, 11:03 AM
, but what a wonderful idea. I know periodically, people get together when they know they are going to be in a certain area, but nothing THIS grand. Joe/Christine?

Rhonda

Joe
06-10-2006, 11:10 AM
See new post: San Diego Survivorship Celebration

LovingDaughter
06-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Could we perhaps plan something a little more in advance so that out-of-towners (like me in Ohio) can come?

Joe
06-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Diane,

I had announced this program a few months ago, but have been so busy with the ASCO meeting that I simply forgot to post a reminder.

Our next scheduled program will be at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium in December www.sabcs.org (http://www.sabcs.org) . This meeting is open to patient advocates at a reduced registration rate of $50. I would also strongly suggest reserving a room now using their housing program as they provide discounted rooms. Our group will be staying at the La Quinta which is directly across from the marriott Riverwalk Hotel.

We intend to expand our outreach program shortly and will announce future dates.

Regards
Joe

AlaskaAngel
06-10-2006, 02:53 PM
What is the chance of putting together the possibility of having a group meeting at the time of SABCS where we could also begin a blood sample donation project just for our members, that would be used for something like the idea Michelle mentioned in her thread? Would there be any interest by a major research institution in helping with that?

AlaskaAngel

LovingDaughter
06-10-2006, 04:04 PM
That's a great idea AA!!

AlaskaAngel
06-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Probably donating a chunk of tumor would be more informative than a blood donation, but there is the question of wanting to save the tumor block from being slowly hacked away to nothing, since over time as they discover more things like p53 having some tumor block left might be pretty precious...

But I'm currently in the Breast Cancer Early Detectoin Study, which is using blood samples from breast cancer patients, to try to find a better marker. And I wonder if blood sampling from HER2support members might have some usefulness.

It would be really nice to meet others in person.

A.A.

Joe
06-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Many local Komen affiliates provide travel grants up to $1000 to attend these symposiums. The application is very short. If you are interested..check with them. The National Komen Foundation also provides travel grants but it involves a lot more paperwork.

Regards
Joe