PDA

View Full Version : Now what???

Lisa
06-03-2006, 07:04 AM
Friends,

A couple of days ago I went for a back x-ray to determine whether I had a fractured rib (from a dogs vs. me incident). Turns out I did...but that was the good news.

The films showed some probable cancer mets in part of my lung. We'll know more after a PET/CT scan Tuesday and a pow-wow with docs on Thursday.

When my onc's wonderful PA told me the news and we discussed it somewhat, she (with a very sad face) asked me how I felt. I told her I was in no pain, thinking about my previously painful rib. No, she said. How are you feeling emotionally?

I honestly answered her, "O.K." While I'm not the least bit thrilled with this bad news, I just say, let's continue the fight. Good thoughts and prayers are welcome.

I'll let you know more after next Thursday.

Love and light,

Lisa

pattyz
06-03-2006, 07:07 AM
Well crap, Lisa....

OFCOURSE: many very good thoughts and prayers....

xoxopattyz

Barbara H.
06-03-2006, 07:09 AM
My thoughts are with you, Lisa. I'm also glad that your thoughts are "Continue the fight!"
Barbara H.

RhondaH
06-03-2006, 07:10 AM
You've ALWAYS got thoughts and prayers from me.

Rhonda

LovingDaughter
06-03-2006, 07:17 AM
I am always so impressed with how strong the ladies are who participate in this forum. You have such a wonderful attitude, and that will carry you a long way.

God is watching over you as you continue on your journey. I will be thinking about you and praying for you.

All the best,
Jayne

heblaj01
06-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Lisa,

Here is a just published article which you might ask your onc to look into:

Reported June 2, 2006
One-Two Punch for Lung Cancer

(Ivanhoe Newswire) -- UCLA researchers find adding the COX-2 inhibitor Celebrex (celecoxib) to the lung cancer drug Tarveca significantly increases the number of people who can benefit from the therapy

In their study, about 33 percent of patients responded to the combination treatment. Typically, only about 10 percent of lung cancer patients respond to Tarveca alone.

The addition of Celebrex is believed to up the efficacy of Tarveca because it inhibits the COX-2 cell signaling pathway. That pathway has been linked to resistance to Tarveca, which blocks the growth of tumor cells by targeting a protein known as the epidermal growth factor receptor, or EGFR.

"Tarveca alone is a great drug and has a lot of clinical benefits, but for a small proportion of patients," says study author Dr. Karen Reckamp. "With this drug combination, we saw an increase in response rates, indicating we are overcoming some resistance."

All of the participants in the study were diagnosed with advanced lung cancer that failed to respond to conventional treatments like chemotherapy.

The authors note the Tarveca-Celebrex treatment could be superior to chemotherapy because it targets only the diseased cells. Chemotherapy kills all fast growing cells, healthy and diseased alike, and can cause serious side effects. In this study, Tarveca only caused minor side effects, such as rash and diarrhea, and the addition of Celebrex didn't add any side effects to the mix.

The researchers plan more study to confirm these early findings and delve more deeply into why some people are resistant to Tarveca.

SOURCE: Clinical Cancer Research, published online June 1, 2006

P.S.: in the above text one should read "Tarceva" instead of wrongly spelled "Tarveca". Tarceva is the commercial name for Erlotinib. The abstract for the study results can be read at:
http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24036

eric
06-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Lisa, you continue to amaze! Have no doubt that thoughts and prayers will be coming your way. Great suggestion from heblaj01.

Love and light, Eric

Sheila
06-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Lisa
I also had a fractured rib from sneezing so I know what that feels like...on my bone scan it came back bone mets, but upon xray and another scan, a fractured rib was noted. You have such strength, my prayers are with you...it seems like when 1 gets good news, another gets bad news....I hate this disease, all the more reason to keep up the fight....we need to win!

tammymarie1971
06-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Lisa...BIG hugs to you first of all. You are such and inspiration to us!!! You have been through a great deal, but I am always so impressed with your will to fight this beast no matter what it throws at you...Thank you, it gives me the will to continue to fight as well. If Lisa can do it...maybe I can too!!!!
All the best to you as you meet with the powers that be to determine...What's next.
Tammy

tousled1
06-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Lisa,

I've read many of your posts and you are indeed a strong and determined woman. Keep up the positive attitude. You are in my prayers.

madubois63
06-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Dear Lisa - I learned it from you!! Your a strong person with attitude! Keep up the good fight..my prayers are with you...

lu ann
06-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Dear Lisa, You are in need of a break. I have not been in remission since this recurrance, but I have been stable enough to get off of chemo for 3 months last summer and 5 1/2 months this past winter and spring. I have some activity in and around my lungs but things seem to be moving slowly. I will continue to pray for you to get a good report.

God Bless You, Lisa.
Lu Ann

Julie2
06-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Lisa,

Please see the post by Joe about compassionate use of Tykerib, it should be available if you talk to your oncologist. This might do wonders for you.

Julie

Maggie
06-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Dear Lisa, I, too, am so sorry to hear your news. Even though you are strong and a fighter, allow yourself the time to say this stinks, then.. give it all you've got!

Praying for you,
Maggie

rinaina
06-03-2006, 08:29 PM
It never ceases to amaze me the strength and positive thinking so many of you have, Lisa included. I believe I happened upon this forum for many reasons but for one important one and that is to draw strength from all you incredibly strong women. You have all helped me to have even a more positive attitude and to be thankful for everyday....for it can always be worse. I am proud to be among all you brave and courageous women. I made up my mind from the day it was confirmed that I had grade 3 her2neu+b.c. that I was going to be a fighter and beat this and I am commited to that way of handling this. Lisa stay strong and positive and know that you have my prayers, support and admiration.

chrislmelb
06-04-2006, 02:32 AM
As someone else said,try for the Tybkerb on EAP (early access program). They will release it for special circumstances.

Christine

lindaw
06-04-2006, 02:35 AM
Dear Lisa

Thats not fair. You have my thoughts and prayers. The Tykerb thing sounds like a good possibility.

love
LInda

TriciaK
06-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Lisa, You are an inspiration, and our thoughts and prayers are indeed with you. I read once that Amazon women cut off at least one breast so they could use their weapons better, Maybe we can all be considered warrior Amazons as we fight this beast! Hugs, Tricia

StephN
06-04-2006, 12:38 PM
That's why we love you Tricia - you always come up with a spunky reply!!
Lisa already qualifies as an Amazon since she is lopsided. This is physically, but your outlook and will to stay in the thick of the battle sets you apart, Lisa. You could beat the Amazons!

It seems to me that as we get farther into being Stage IV, each new challenge gets met with the same "well crap - what now." Then we go on and deal with it.
If lung mets are confirmed maybe it is worth trying Tykerb.
Seems like the mets play their own version of "musical chairs" in your body. Time to stop the music.

RobinP
06-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Keep the fighting spirt up. You are in my prayers.

Susan2
06-04-2006, 02:52 PM
I love the Amazon analogy - it is so appropriate for you. I wish for you continue Amazonian strength and courage.

We'll be thinking of you.
Susan

IRENE FROM TAMPA
06-04-2006, 05:42 PM
and good thoughts and prayers you shall get my friend.

Keep the spirit strong.

Irene

Bev
06-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Sending more good thoughts and prayers. Hoping it's a false alarm at this point. BB

sherri
06-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Lisa,

You and most people on this site are really amazing. I'm sure all your doctors go home after seeing you and think "Who are these people? Are they for real?". You are in my thoughts and prayers always.

Kim in CA
06-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Lisa,

I am hoping that this is somehow a false alarm for you. I know we all are hoping for the best, but at the same time, I know you will be gearing up to do whatever it takes if that's what is called for. Dodging these bullits does get old, but we have truly become elite warriors in this fight and I hope you can draw some strength from knowing we are with you.

Love, Kim in CA

jojo
06-05-2006, 01:03 AM
Lisa dear,

You are simply being FLOODED with LOTS of love & PLENTY of well-wishes from us here! I hope you can really feel it....

:-)

Audrey
06-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Lisa, I'm thinking of you today and hoping for the best for you on Thursday when you meet with your doctors--keep us posted. So many care about you!

Berta
06-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Lisa: You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Berta

anne
06-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Hi Lisa,
I read your post the other day and didn't know exactly what to say. But...
You are one of the veterans here on this board and I know in due time you will think this is just another hurdle you have to get through. I do agree that maybe Tykerb is a good thing to try due to it targetting Her1 and her2 receptors. I know Navelbine is also good for lung mets. I don't recall you being on that. Avastin and Herceptin may be worth a try also. Regardless, I am sending you lots of good thoughts and prayers.
Hugs,
Anne

rinaina
06-07-2006, 07:51 PM
anne, i never hear of Her 1 only her2. what is her1?

al from Canada
06-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Yes you were and I'll always love you for that. Lisa, we love you; you are awe inspiring and have courage that I can't even imagine. Linda drew so much stength from you and you deserve better than this! Think about Tricia's mind over matter thing and let's kick some ass!!!
Love,
al