PDA

View Full Version : Anne - TPA for clogged port

StephN
06-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Hello Anne -
I decided to take this thread out of my trip report so others may find it and comment on their experiences.
First of all I can't see where the port or catheter would have anothing to do with your Mom's stroke.
TPA stands for "Alteplase" which is another name for "Cathflo activase."

My port had been finicky and also giving intermittent blood return for several months. After a few flushes it would work fine, but we suspected a myolin sheath was forming. The last time I had to give blood for quarterly tests and a study tube, the nurse had to flush inbetween every couple of tubes as my blood would slow to a trickle and the vacutubes would fill too slowly. Barely made it that time. Then the next time I went for infusion it would not even take a flush.

So, I finally got the clot buster treatment and port is working is like new.

This treatment is standard procedure for use in central venous access devices.

They just shoot in the drug and leave it sit for a couple of hours. Flush and draw and - voila! blood return.

anne
06-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Steph,

Thanks for clearing that up. There is another TPA that they give to bust up a stroke when it is major. I was thinking they gave you that. Regardless, be careful about clotting. Are you on a blood thinner at all like Coumadin or Aspirin?
Anne

AlaskaAngel
06-02-2006, 01:21 PM
TPA stands for "tissue plasiminogen activator" (also called alteplase). Its purpose is to dissolve any blood clots, and is sometimes used with ports when they suspect the port may be clogging due to that. I am only guessing here such a clot possibly could break loose and cause a stroke.

AlaskaAngel