PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins while having chemo /herceptin trt

Jean
05-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Would love some input from all! How many of you continued on your vitamins
during your chemo/herceptin treatment? Of course I am sure you checked with your opinions and it is always good to hear what is happening out there. For instance could you post what you are taking and the amounts.

I think it maybe useful to all!

Many Thanks,
Jean

Vit E 200 IU
B Complex 100
Formula V Multiple Vit w/chelated minerals
Folic Acid 400 mcg
Calcium 2000
CoQ-10 400 mg
Lecithin 1200 mg
Vit. C 1000 mg
Omega 3- 1000 mg.
Vit D 1000 IU
Cosamin DS 4 capsules

R.B.
05-30-2006, 04:02 PM
There has been quite a bit of discussion on omega three six and flaxseed.

You can search it by clicking on the purple bar above on search and entering the term of interest.

If you try entering vitamins, diet etc you should find more.

There have been a number of thought provking threads on the subject generally.

RB

Cathya
05-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks to this site I started Omega 3 twice daily. When I went into the drug store to buy it this time I saw the pharmacist who recommended the 3-6-9 saying that he had just attended a workshop in a major Canadian city and the speaker, who apparently was the guru on this topic said that they have found this combination to be superior. He is aware of my illness. I also take CoQ10 300 mg., Multi-Vitamin, Vit.D and A in fish oil, and Calcium.

Cathy

Becky
05-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Jean

During chemo, take your multi. However, don't take more than 100mg CoQ10 per day(or don't take any at all 3 days before or 3 days after a treatment and then you can resume your 400mg - takes 3 days to leave the body. When you are on Herceptin alone, you can resume this amt daily). The Fish oil/omega 3 is okay in any amount. Since you are taking taxol, you could take one tablet of curcumin (or eat turmeric or curcumin/curry during the 24 hour period of getting taxol - this spice (in vitro) has been shown to have beneficial syngerstic effects with the taxanes)). All the others I would stop as there is no evidence that it is good or bad (might protect the cancer cells but it might not).

Get what you need from food. Nuts for vitamin E. Green for folic acid. Oranges/tomatoes/citrus/peppers for vitamin C. It is the safest thing during chemo.

The calcium I think is fine. Also, this time of year - 10-15 minutes of sunlight on unprotected skin 2 or 3 times per week gives you more natural vitamin D than 1000 mg per day (arms, legs, face) and its not too much to be able to cause other problems. In winter, with the sun's angle, you can't do this even if you can tolerate the cold temperatures.

I don't know anything about Cosamin so you should ask the nutritionist at your cancer center (and the lecithin too). The B complex is also a no-no.

Hope this helps and is only my opinion. I am not a true believer that vitamins during chemo is bad but there is no evidence that it does any good and no evidence that it doesn't harm - so most advice is to stay away.

Be well Jean. I am thinking of you.

All I did during chemo was take a multi (with minerals) and fish oil tablets. I did Herceptin sequentially (after chemo and rads) and that's when I really started everything else. (to include CoQ10, maitake mushrooms, olive leaf, vit A, vit D (do the sunlight now), tumeric, a full strength aspirin and still the multi and fish oil.

Kind regards

Becky

Cathya
05-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Jean;

My apologies. My post is what I am taking now.....I got caught up in the Omega thing and forgot you original question.....the brain is still somewhat fried....lol. During chemo I took nothing.

Cathy

R.B.
05-31-2006, 02:49 AM
Re 3-6-9 oils. It ia always good to hear about health professionals with a wider interest. 3 6 9 s are very good in general terms just maybe not the best especially for whose metabolism might already be upset. Even with a three six nine there would be arguments for including fish oil or similar.

The KEY is balancing the omega threes and sixes. IF 3 -6 -9 is the only fat intake then dependant on the exact omega three six balance and inclusion of DHA and EPA etc the product that would cover things.

BUT many of the three six nines do not include sources of DHA and EPA which are KEY again KEY players in this. Check the label.

However as six is everywhere due to inclusion very many processed foods (vegetable oils), and the balance in our animals and many farmed fish has been pushed towards omega six by inclusion of grain in their food it is likley to be three that most people have to supplement.

Fish oil does include a range of fats for me and would come before a 3 6 9. Flax oil also has some six as well as being high three and so the inclsuion of a little flax seed or oil would ensure sixes and the basic omega three element linolenic acid n18:3.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-fish%20oil000000000000000000000.html

There are arguments for GLA and they undoubtably have a place, but if omega three is the team it MAY be that GLA is substitute no 1. I dont say dont take GLa just watch the sixes it comes with and be aware it is on the cox 1 and 2 pathway so probably moderation.

I was in the 3 6 9 category about a year ago, and it took my awhile to understand those who said it may not be the optimal option given current dietary general trends. Once I twigged what they were arguing I moved from that to a small amount of olive (virgin oil) dessert spoon and about 5tps of a quality fish oil a day. I rely on nuts and food sources etc for my omega sixes.

It is complex. There are no straight forward answers. Trials have not been done.

Stored body fats may also be a factor e.g. people could build up omega sixes in body fat which would be an argument for much higher omega threes whilst your body fats balance out which could take a long time two to three years or more.

I do not regard myself as a guru but in my free time have been reading extensively round the subject and trials for many months.

Tests are available fro omega three six in the body etc see a book Smart Fats By M Scmidt

You should consult you advisor in respect of significant dietary changes.

RB

cosmicdust
05-31-2006, 07:28 AM
I took the following and noted to Dr's:
A & D 25,000/1000IU from fish liver oil
C & E 500mg/400IU
Aloe Gold Whole leaf aloe vera 600mg
and several days after chemo took B Complex until next treatment

I also drink 3-4 qts water daily - TRY to eat healthier foods, avoiding transfats and refined sugars (cancer loves sugar). Reduced the dairy to 3-4 servings (I love cheese and milk but too much is not good)
I love veggies, so lots of broccoli, califlower, carrots, squash.. veggies with scrambled eggs & cheese melted is nice omelet!
Try to eat fish weekly, and upped the fiber (whole wheat or whole grains).
Also drink one Ensure daily...(per my onc as good measure and is nice treat)

On day 5 after chemo went walking - 1 to 2 miles each day (first 5 days was too pooped out!) Continue to get some sort of daily excercise...

I have added the CoQ10 just 30mg to my daily routine and follow the same supplement schedule during herceptin treatments.