PDA

View Full Version : EGFR/Her1

alw
05-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could clear up my confusion regarding EGFR/Her1 - specifically as it relates to Tykerb/Lapitinib.

Is there a separate test (similar to FISH or something) that needs to be conducted in order to see if someone would benefit from Tykerb?

Thanks for any help and I apologize if this question has been addressed previously. I was not able to find a similar post through a search of the archives.

Regards,

Amy

Becky
05-30-2006, 02:39 PM
You do not need to get any other special tests for Her1 as Tykerb targets both Her1 and Her2. Therefore, if you are Her2 positive, Tykerb can be a benefit. However, Tykerb could also be a benefit to those who are only Her1 positive. Therefore, women with progression who are triple negative or only ER/PR positive (but not Her2 +) should get tested because if they are Her1 positive, Tykerb could be a benefit to them.

Kind regards

Becky

karenann
05-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Becky,

Do they use the original tumor to test for Her1 or do you think it is a good idea to test the mets? I have a friend who is er/pr+ and Her2- and now, two years after her original dx, she has mets to several places in the bone and just recently found out that the mets have gone to her liver. I am trying to find out as much info for her as I can to help her with her treatment.

Thanks, Becky.

Karen

R.B.
05-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Karenann.

This link may be of interest if you have not seen it and if relevant to your friends situation.

RB

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23971

Becky
05-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Karen,

It is more than possible that the pathology may have changed. Her 2- can change to Her2+ (this happened to Tricia K). It is always best to test the met if possible.

Becky