PDA

View Full Version : Decreased n-6/n-3 fatty acid ratio reduces the invasive potential of human lung cance

R.B.
05-21-2006, 03:56 AM
More on my hobby horse of fats and cancer - yes it is lung cancer, but many of the factors in cancers are common - and it adds evidence that the omega three six balance is a factor in metastis of cancer.

You may also have seen the post on an elderly gentleman who was recorded as experiencing regression of lung cancer by apparently addressing the omega three six balance.

RB

ABSTRACT

http://carcin.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/26/4/779

ARTICLE
Decreased n-6/n-3 fatty acid ratio reduces the invasive potential of human lung cancer cells by downregulation of cell adhesion/invasion-related genes
Shu-Hua Xia, Jingdong Wang and Jing X. Kang*

Departments of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA

* To whom correspondence should be addressed. Tel: +1 617 726 8509; Fax: +1 617 726 6144; Email: kang.jing@mgh.harvard.edu

Recent studies have shown opposing effects of n-6 and n-3 fatty acids on the development of cancer and suggest a role for the ratio of n-6 to n-3 fatty acids in the control of cancer. However, whether an alteration in the n-6/n-3 fatty acid ratio of cancer cells affects their invasive potential has not been well investigated. We recently developed a genetic approach to modify the n-6/n-3 ratio by expression of the Caenorhabditis elegans fat-1 gene encoding an n-3 desaturase that converts n-6 to n-3 fatty acids in mammalian cells. The objective of this study was to examine the effect of alteration in the n-6/n-3 fatty acid ratio on the invasive potential of human lung cancer A549 cells. Adenovirus-mediated gene transfer of the n-3 desaturase resulted in a marked reduction of the n-6/n-3 fatty acid ratio, particularly the ratio of arachidonic acid to eicosapentaenic acid. Cell adhesion assay showed that the cells expressing fat-1 gene had a delayed adhesion and retarded colonization. Matrigel assay for invasion potential indicated a 2-fold reduction of cell migration in the fat-1 transgenic cells when compared with the control cells. An increased apoptosis was also observed in the fat-1 transgenic cells. Microarray and quantitative polymerase chain reaction revealed a downregulation of several adhesion/invasion-related genes (MMP-1, integrin-{alpha}2 and nm23-H4) in the fat-1 transgenic cells. These results demonstrate that a decreased n-6/n-3 fatty acid ratio reduces the invasion potential of human lung cancer cells by probably downregulating the cell adhesion/invasion-related molecules, suggesting a role for the ratio of n-6 to n-3 fatty acids in the prevention and treatment of cancer.

Amy
05-21-2006, 09:08 AM
I've read so much on this but am confused as to how we balance the 3's and 6's. What should we be taking. Currentlyt I take 2 TBL UDO's essential oil, 3TBL Olive oil and 2 1000mg fish oil capsule a day plus primrose oil and olive leaf extract supplements......do you have any info that can help me determine what I should be taking???

Thanks R.B.,

Amy

R.B.
05-21-2006, 09:58 AM
It takes time and reading and keeping an eye on what you eat right down to the supplements you take (which are often in oil).

The Ben Best link in the "The Importance of Omega Three and Six to breast cancer" in the articles of interest section has a chart with fats for some foods.

1. You have to read all labels on food looking for vegetable fats and avoid them, particualry if they give no indication as to quantity or type (including margerine etc).

2. You have to look at the content of the fats you take and the quantity. This site will help give you an idea as to how the fats breakdown by type.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/fatty-acids.html

UDOs is exellent but you may find you are getting enough six without the extra in UDO's and similar proprietary three six oils.

Personally I have gone over to fish oil instead as it is higher in DHA and EPA.

There are high DHA EPA oils from algae, but they are harder to find and from what I have seen regretably more expensive at the moment.

3. Be aware that nuts are high in fats and many in omega six so pigging out on nuts could alter the balance of intake. Nuts in moderation enough to cover the palm of your hand maybe are good in general terms.

4. Olive oil virgin contains about 10% omega six, and refined olive oils up to about 50%.

5. Fish oils contain a range of fats but in particular contain the long chain omega threes DHA and EPA. Trials suggest a fall off in take up by the body at about 2 grams a day 5 tps of a quality fish oil about - check the label.

6. Watch for food in oil even if labelled as with olive oil - they are often mainly vegetable oil including olives in oil.

7. There is much debate about percentage of fat in diet. Many reports suggest within sensible limits less is more.

8. Grain fed animals, and farmed fish, eggs etc will have higher omega six that their grass fed will relatives.

9. Greens and pulses from what I have seen are overall about balanced.

10. DHA EPA in fish varies and is highest in oily fish - sardines mackerel etc.

The key is to balance.

I personally take the point of aiming for more three than one and hope I end up at about a balance.

Absolute quantities of omega threes to take are difficult to suggest beyond the above, as individual metabolism, existing fat stores, general health, ability to convert shorter chanin fats to longer chain fats, medication anti inflamatories, fat blockers etc will change for each indvidual.

In general terms side effects of omega threes are limited until quite high dosages - see Linnus Pauling site or WEB, and some may chose to look to 2 omega three to one six or higher.

There are companies that can test you three six fats balance. They are listed in a book called Smart Fats by M Scmidt. Obviously for those that can afford it testing would be a good option with regular monitoring of markers etc, and adjustment according to outcome etc.

Different books have different slants on diet, but many share greens, pulses, fish, low glycemic foods etc.

A common element is the importance of good digestion absortion etc.

There are lots of posts you may like to read with some suggested reading etc see "search" above on the purple bar.

Whilst many trials suggest synergistic effects with medication of various sorts fats are powerful agents and it is best to make significant dietary changes in consultation with your advisor. You can always print things out some of the scientific articles and take them along with you.

The best thing is to do some reading round the subject to get your own understanding, as regretably the necessary trials simply have not been done to give definative advice - I can only flag up trials and reviews and pose questions.

RB

Amy
05-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Amy