PDA

View Full Version : Stem Cell Transplant

Amy
05-15-2006, 10:42 AM
Hi,
Is anyone familiar with Breast Cancer Stem Cell Transplant???

Amy

saleboat
05-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Hi Amy--

Are you referring to high dose chemo with stem cell transplant? This is a treatment that is largely out of favor for treating early stage breast cancer, although it is still in trials for treatment of Inflammatory Breast Cancer-- NCI is currently running a trial like this.

I'm not sure about this treatment for Stage IV breast cancer, but I'm sure someone else on this site can provide some help.

Jen

Kim in CA
05-16-2006, 07:39 AM
Hi Amy,

I had high dose chemo with stem cell transplant back in 1997, the year I was first diagnosed. First I had my mastectomy, then 3 cycles of Adriamycin/Cytoxan and then the high dose chemo/stem cell procedure. I was stage IIB, ER-,PR-, with 5/36 nodes positive.

Kim in CA

Jean
05-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Kim,
So good to hear your "9" years out from treatment. How are you feeling?
Wishing you the best.

Jean

IRENE FROM TAMPA
05-16-2006, 04:32 PM
in 1999 -

I was diagnosed in 1996 with Infiltration ductal carcinoma.
Had modified rad. mast. and was in remission for 3 years.
Had recurrence in 1999 when they suggested I have a
Stem cell replacement with high dose chemo.
The procedure kept me in remission for another 3 years before recurrence again.

I did well after the procedure and did not have any problems.

I do know that H. Lee Moffitt where I can it done is no longer doing the transplants for breast cancer.

If you have any questions you might want answered, please feel free to ask.

Take care

Amy
05-17-2006, 02:53 PM
What all did it entail???? Was it rigorous??? And, why is that facility no longer doing the procedure???
Love and prayers,
Amy

IRENE FROM TAMPA
05-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Hi Amy -

I will be answering you questions regarding the stem cell.

I tried to send a post this morning and for some reason I got knocked out and my post never made it (it was pretty lengthy too) so I will answer you this week-end when I have more time. I did not want you to think I was not going to response back to you.

Talk to you soon.

IRENE FROM TAMPA
05-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Hi Amy -

To try to answer some of your questions regarding what stem cell transplant entails. I will try to cover as briefly as I can and if you think you might have any other questions, pls feel free to email me.

I was given the stem cell transplant in August of 1999 after being in remission for three years post first diagnosis.

A stem cell transplant for breast cancer involves having your stem cells drawn from your own blood (some patient use donor's)-
The procedure for drawing them is much like just drawing blood from you but in this case you are connected to a machine which I thought to be much like a dialysis machine. They draw your blood, which processes and separates the stem cells out of your blood. The blood immediately goes back into your body and the stem cells are separated into another unit.
They then irradiate the stem cells they have drawn to kill any bad cells (so to speak). They freeze these until ready to give back to you.
And to think, I never even knew what a stem cell was until all of this.
Once they are given back to you, they will start repoducing into, reds, whites, platlets, etc. That is their job.

Once all of this is done, you will prepare to be the HIGH DOSE CHEM. Which chemos you are given is up to your onc. I can't recall the actual names of the ones I took. I know there was three of them combined and they referred to them as TNT meaning very strong. Because of this my doctor suggested I stay in the hospital the full length of the course. I was in for about one month. He antipated my having mouths/throat sores and not be able to eat.
I only live about ten miles from the hospital and probably could have gone home but I preferred this chose to be sure.

As it turned out, I never got any mouth sores at all, my throat was sore , much like when you have a strep throat. They did give me morphine for any pain. I did lose my taste buds so I did not have an appetite but they made sure I did not lose any weight (which I did not) they fed me through a line all the time.Everything came back to normal after about 2-3 months later.

I was given the HIGH DOES CHEMO, and then several day's later they gave me back my stem cells. They watched me carefully and I was even allowed close family to come to visit me. They did have to be careful and wash their hands before entering my room. I was in a room that had an air filter which ran constantly to keep room germ free.

When I was sent home, I had to be sure that everything was very clean and they suggested washing down counters and walls with a bleach solution, I have to say that all this scared me a bit prior to chosing to do this, but I did very well after the procedure as far as not getting sick. I did stay at home from work for about 6 months after just to be safe and I tried not to go out in public much for a while.

All and all I have to say it was not as bad as I anticpated. But I was very healthy prior to having it done also. I stayed in remission for another 3 years. And I have had more recurrences since, but I always like to think that maybe, just maybe, it helped in some way. It has been 10 1/2 years now since my original cancer, so who knows.

I believe that Moffitt no longer does the procedure for Breast Cancer because I think they found out that it did not work any better then giving patient adjuvant chemo treatments like we take now.

I did not think that they even offered it any longer. Are you thinking of having it done?

Amy I hope this helps and please let me know what you are planning.

Take care.

Kim in CA
05-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Dear Amy,

Like Irene, I too was very healthy when I had my stem cell transplant. I was in the hospital (isolation unit) for a month too. My experience was different than Irene's though because I experienced all the bad stuff! I was a very sick gal. When I finally did go home I landed back in the hospital within a week with a raging fever. They were so worried about me, cause I just didn't have any immunities to fight off whatever it was attacking me. After all the big gun antibiotics they pumped in me I eventually got better, but it was a scary time.

I have to believe that it wasn't all for nothing. It did get me a little over 4 years before I had my first recurrence, and was able to get Herceptin, which has been amazingly effective for me.

I will be celebrating 10 years from original diagnosis in February and still feel it was worth it. Of course if I had known about Herceptin back then, that would have changed everything!

Best Regards, Kim in CA

rinaina
05-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Your stories are an inspiration to all. Both of you are into many years past diagnosis even with your reoccurences and intensive tx. Congrats, and this is why we have to be fighters for our own cause. Never give up.

Rina

Jean
05-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Dear Kim and Irene,
Thank you for sharing your stories! I am so thrilled that both of you are 10 yrs out - You are both very brave ladies - God Bless.

Fondly,
Jean

Amy
05-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Irene and Kim,

Thanks so much for sharing your stories...very informative and inspiring. I've recently read a few things on stem cell transplant.....was going to discuss it with my new Onc to see what her thoughts were. Anyway, I'll let you you all know.....thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Love and Prayers,

Amy

Chelee
05-20-2006, 11:05 PM
As a couple other people already said here, "Thanks for sharing your story". It is very encouraging to here people that have done so well.

My surgeon and oncologist gave me nothing to hang on to once I was DX. So I LOVE reading these stories of people 10 years out and more.

I flat out asked my oncologist after I got to know him pretty well, "How many people with my prognosis, or close to it do you personally know that is still doing well?" He looked funny for a minute as he didn't expect that question from me I assume? He looked down on the ground....thought REALLY HARD and said, "I know one women that has made it a year".

I was glad I was sitting down..he was serious. I know my prognosis wasn't the best...but all he can come up with is ONE person has done well for a year. :(

So you can only imagine how much I just get thrilled to read other peoples personally stories. Cheers me up especially on my really rough days. :)

Chelee

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stage IIIA, Her2/Neu 3 +++, Er & Pr positive, 5 of 16 positive nodes, Richardson scale 9 0f 9.