PDA

View Full Version : Starting a support group

sassy
05-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Having traveled thru my bc journey since Feb of 05, I now find myself in the position of offering support to several others who have been diagnosed. Several friends have come to me, other friends have recommend their friends call me, and my OB-GYN is giving my name (with my permission) to patients who are looking for someone to talk with. This is not necessarily a new role for me(counseling with others), just new in terms of BC. My OB-GYN has asked me to consider starting a support group in our area. We are fairly remote and the closest support group that I know of is at least two hours away. I currently travel one hour for treatment and there is not a support group at the center.

Do any of you have information on support groups, recommendations on who to contact, or advice on this matter?

I'm not sure this is something I have the energy for at this point, but there is definately a need in our area and I would like to help if I can.

I appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Sassy
________
VAPORIZER REVIEWS (http://vaporizers.tv/)

karenann
05-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Hi Sassy,

We have a wonderful organization here in the San Francisco Bay Area called, The Wellness Community. Everything they offer is free to cancer patients and their families. They have support groups, yoga classes, exercise classes, meditation, seminars on nutrition, etc.. The support group I participated in was one for those who were newly diagnosed with breast cancer. I don't know what I would have done without the group. We still get together (on our own) now.

Anyway, here is the information and I am sure if you were to call them they could give you some tips on starting a support group: www.twc - bayarea.org/contact.htm and the phone number is: (925)933-0107. If you need my help, please dont hesitate to email me.

Karen

Sheila
05-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Hi Sassy
A group of Breast Cancer survivors in my area formed a group and call ourselves Hooter Pals...we get together for informal meetings once a month, publish a list with what types of cancer, treatment and Dr's including surgeons, plastic surgeons, oncologists etc each has used. We are a telephone support group for each other and any newcomers who are diagnosed. We are in contact with the hospital wellness committies, and when a new woman is diagnosed, we send her info on our group and a nice little support gift bag of pink ribbon items. We are active in thew komen Race every year, raise about 10,000 a year for our local relay for life etc. We participate in health fairs etc, just to let others know we are available...we have even been in a few parades with a float and all. We had sweatshirts and tshirts made that look like the Hooters shirts only ours say Hooter Pals and are in pink.
We often have guest speakers including massage therapy, look good feel good by ACS, Reikki, a phychologist on dealing with emotional issues and even a few "party nites" where we all meet at a local pub and have a few....it is very informal, many times we all sit around and chat about treatments, whats new on the Horizon or just a question time for newly diagnosed...we have even had a few show and tell on reconstructions....breasts, nipples, tattoos, no tattoos, tram flams, diep proc., inplants etc...WE ARE NOT SHY!!!!
What started to be a group of 12 has grown to 40!
We have a Christmas Party every year, a swim day in the summer...just having fun and enjoying life through all of this...and our ages range from 27 to 70! When someone gets reconstruction, we throw a "boobie" shower for them with funny and sensible gifts...it is a great group! It helped me through many rough times!
Hope this helps

Jackie
05-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Sassy,

Thank you for asking this question. I have been thinking about starting a support group in our community. There is a support group in the town that I travel to for treatment, but it is 38 miles away. There are several women recently dx with breast cancer and know that the support is needed. I had support of a close friend/coworker who was dx 1 months after me. I don't know what I would have done without her. I am very interested in the process to get this going.

Sheila,

Your sharing of what your group does sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

Becky
05-14-2006, 05:23 PM
The American Cancer Society can help you big time with this and also provide direction and advice. However, I do believe that you need to be trained as a "Reach for Recovery" volunteer. This is a 9 hour training (over 2 days) and you could then also be given names of people who call the ACS for help.

I am awaiting training at the next one given in Northern NJ. The support group I go to is ACS sponsered and our 2 group leaders are Reach for Recovery trained volunteer survivors.

Just a thought on how to get help and information as not all support groups are ACS sponsered.

Kind regards

Becky

jsattaw
05-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Hi Sassy --

I started a cancer support group in my rural area (population 1500) in January. While open to all types of cancer survivors, we mostly have breast cancer survivors attending. We meet once each month (3rd Saturday) at a local coffee shop that has a private room available to groups.

I've utilized some materials from the Lance Armstrong, Live Strong Foundation -- they have 3-ring Survivor binders that are free (you have to pay shipping) and lots of other information available on survivorship. I also have been intenting to contact our local Komen affiliate to see if they have any community grants available that could defray costs of speakers, education materials, etc. but haven't yet had a chance to follow-up with them.

Our group is working with our local library to make publications and books available and support those newly diagnosed, going through treatment, and beyond. We also attend other events in the area together (e.g. Race for the Cure, Relay for Life, etc.).

We are about 45 miles from our cancer center that has nutritionists and therapists -- they have been very willing to provide us with information and/or a guest speaker but since we're so new we are just focusing on peer support right now. We've had a good response from the community and I think it's been especially useful for people who are newly diagnosed to know there's people who have been through it and are there to assist.

Good luck with your group.

Jill

Sheila
05-15-2006, 05:22 AM
Sassy
I forgot to say that our group has also started a library of books that can be checked out from the hospital we meet at....we donate the books, all having to do with breast cancer, some humorous and some serious and more medical...this has been a great resource for anyone wanting to read up and at no expense. We have a couple of women who are trained reach to recovery volunteers, and go visit patients. The hospital and womens health section has been very supportive of us and getting us involved with newly diagnosed "just to let them know that we are available."

Ginagce
05-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Bless you for reaching out to others who are new to our "world".

The Living Beyond Breast Cancer group has a wonderful toolkit to create a support group. Check it out.

www.lbbc.org (http://www.lbbc.org)

Ginagce

dskdrive
05-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Sassy,

There is a support group at the Pulaski Community Hospital. They meet once a month. It is not a very active group, just the regular speaker bureau for the most part. I have attended, but most of the ladies, though nice have been out of treatment for years and I do not seem to have a lot in common with them. If you start one let me know and I will travel down and attend every now and then.

Doris from Dublin

sassy
05-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions, I am following up on them. If anyone else has advice, please respond.

Doris, if I get something going, it will most likely be in Galax and I will let you know.

Sassy
________
HornyLove cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/HornyLove)

juanita
05-16-2006, 03:43 PM
where is the info at on lbbc? I looked and probably looked right at it but didn't see it.

Ginagce
05-16-2006, 04:22 PM
It's actually the breastcancer.org that sponsors it through a website called meetup.com.

Here's the Philadelphia addy......http://bcs.meetup.com/cities/us/pa/philadelphia/

I had attempted to start one here but there was not enough. Going back in today to check on this for you, I see there a lot more people listed so perhaps I will try again.

Thanks for ringing that bell for me!

Ginagce

Rozebud
05-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Sassy - I haven't started one, but did take an existing one over. It's been going on 10 years, all types of cancer, all ages, women only. But a lot of BC and women in 30s 40s and 50s primarily. It is also christian based, we pray and review scripture (very briefly) at the beginning of every meeting. We meet once a month, no pressure, people who show up show up. Some months there are 6 and some there are 20+.

We are not professional facilitators. The only thing in common we have is cancer. Sometimes we laugh, sometimes we cry. We just discuss whatever is on our minds and hearts that night. We just go around and the conversation flows. Sometimes we meet for 2 hours, sometimes 4, depends on how the group goes and what everyone needs that night.

I can forward you our group information and guiding principals if you're interested. rose.c.kopecky@sprint.com ---> just email me

Good luck. I really believe this can be a calling - Rose

sassy
05-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks Rose, I've sent a e-mail. Sounds like what I had in mind. I really feel the need for this, just not sure if I'm up to getting it going. It can't hurt to get information and see what can be done though.

Sassy
________
Sexdrive18 (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/sexdrive18/)